FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Legacy MB Upgrade

Moderator: MiRai

<<

firescue17

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:32 pm

Legacy MB Upgrade

I'm running a pair of Asus M2N-SLI in each of my kids' computers. I've been attempting to load Win10 64 for a couple of months. There are no MB drivers available from the manufacturer. The defaults installed by Windows Update are sketchy at best. Video Cards won't run half the time. Wireless doesn't work. The boards are ancient and it's just a mess.

I need to go up a few tiers to make their systems functional. This is the budget of budget upgrades. Mostly they watch YouTube, play Minecraft, and some FTP junk. Rarely they'll two box EQ but that doesn't require any power whatsoever.

Keeping in mind I have two buy two motherboards (one for each kid) I'm looking for cheap-ass upgrades. These boards run DDR2 - there's nothing wrong with the sticks, I'd like to keep them but I don't think it's going to be feasible due to the newer design specs. Upgrading 4 - 8 RAM sticks will further add to the cost.

Anybody have any suggestions on cheap replacements - I don't care if they're clearance / discontinued / sale items provided the MBs have a stable history. I'm thinking of something in $60 - $100 range. These boards are 8 or 10 years old - anything is going to be an upgrade.
<<

bob

Post Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:25 pm

Re: Legacy MB Upgrade

Assuming you are in the US :), Omaha is a beach in my neck of the woods.

I built a recent machine based on an Asus N3150 MB. It may actually be underpowered for what you want though, although perfectly suitable for internet/email/basic games (even EQ - not 100% about dual boxing but may be OK).

There is only one option on Newegg for the AM2+ Socket. Part of your issue will be the age bracket you are looking in that no manufacturer will be releasing drivers for Win10, which will make it tricky, although you probably already know that.
<<

firescue17

Post Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:10 pm

bob wrote:There is only one option ... Part of your issue will be the age bracket you are looking in that no manufacturer will be releasing drivers for Win10 ...

Yeah, this is the problem. I think I've hit the end of the road with giving them my leftover parts. Upgrading the MB to accommodate current drivers leads to a forced upgrade to the RAM which leads to lots of $$ I'd rather spend on my own rig lol

I was kinda hoping somone could point me to a cheapo deal that would suffice.
<<

firescue17

Post Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:49 am

Nevermind.

Return to Multiboxing Hardware