FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Building a New PC!

Moderator: MiRai

<<

Tyrantz24

Post Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:27 pm

Building a New PC!

Hey everyone!

Long time reader, first time poster! Been multiboxing off an on for a few years now, and my current rig is in DESPERATE need of an upgrade! So I was looking at going with something like this https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Zooch24/saved/#view=Wrmbt6.

Any and all comments, concerns, and most importantly suggestions on how it could be tweaked, or made more cost efficient would be very much welcomed. I should also point out that it will be my first ever build, and while I know the owner of the computer shop in my area, I would like to assemble, wire, and complete the build 100% by myself! (OFC the internet can help!)

I realize it wont be easy, and am looking for any input I can get! Also if anyone can confirm all those components are actually compatible, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Whoops! Guess I better tell you what I want it to do! I want to be able to 5box WoW dungeons and have decent graphics on all windows. I hate having the main window look so much better then the followers! Of course playing the newer games at max settings is a goal as well. For the time being I would be running 2x 32" TV's as my displays, until I can upgrade those as well.

Thank you for taking the time to read this! Again, any input is greatly appreciated! Thanks all, and happy BOXING!
<<

MiRai

Vibrant Videographer

Post Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:27 pm

Re: Building a New PC!

The build looks good, but do you need the soundcard and network card? These two things are just going to be additional clutter--in both your case and the software being installed on the system--and I'd say the only real reason to have a soundcard these days is if you have a very specific reason to (e.g. needing to drive expensive headphones, which you should probably just get an external DAC for anyway).

Also, do you know if those televisions are able to handle computer gaming? If not, then it's unlikely that they're going to be all that great to game on, since televisions are usually plagued with high latency and a majority of them don't pass the 4:4:4 chroma subsampling test (which just means a blurry image). If you don't know how well they perform when playing computer games and you can't find any reviews on them that say specifically that they are good for that, then you can check this database, but if they're not in there then I would assume they're going to be something you will want to either avoid or replace in the near future.
<<

Tyrantz24

Post Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:42 pm

Thanks MiRai! Keep up the awesome work with the videos! You are a beast!

Thanks for the quick reply! I have 2x 32" Vizio's that I have been using for quite some time now. They are not great, but they are still usable for my gaming atm. I will be upgrading to something 4k worthy sometime in the future, but the actual rig is coming first.

As far as the Sound card goes.... I was way off on what they did. Did some additional research and realized its not needed! Thank for bringing that up!

Purely a brain fart on the Net adapter, completely disregarded the one that comes on the motherboard. Great catch, Thanks a ton!
<<

MiRai

Vibrant Videographer

Post Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:49 pm

Tyrantz24 wrote:As far as the Sound card goes.... I was way off on what they did. Did some additional research and realized its not needed! Thank for bringing that up!

As far as I know, people would opt for soundcards because, like I said in the prior reply, they need the extra power to drive high resistance headphones, or they would use them back when on-board audio was subpar. I could also see a soundcard being useful if you had something wrong with your setup where a certain combination of components was creating an audible whine or hiss when using the on-board audio, and then a soundcard could potentially solve that.

However, these days, on-board audio is perfectly fine unless you're an absolute audiophile, and if that's the case you've likely already purchased an external DAC which you would hook up via SPDIF/optical out of your motherboard (no need for a soundcard to hook up an external DAC).

By all means, you're more than welcome to poke around the internet to see what others are saying, but I'd imagine that the majority of people just stick with on-board sound these days because it's perfectly fine.

Return to Multiboxing Hardware