FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Minimum specs needed for 10 boxing?

Moderator: MiRai

<<

Southwest

Post Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:20 pm

Minimum specs needed for 10 boxing?

I want to give raiding a try. 5 box dungeons are getting boring. Questions:

1. 5820k good enough for 10 boxing? PvE raiding only, maybe pvp in the distant future.

2. Gtx 970 4gb, 980ti 6gb, or R9 390 8gb, or what do you recommend? Just one card, no SLI.

3. 1440p is a thought. Can any of the cards above handle 10 boxing at that resolution? If not, I'm happy with 1080p.

I don't have the link, but there is a $169 32gb ddr4-2133 kit @ Amazon. What do you think?

Thanks!
<<

bob

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:24 pm

Re: Minimum specs needed for 10 boxing?

1. Probably. Depends. On stuff.
2. Depends.
3. Depends.

4., no not 4 (why do people start with a numbered list and then for the last item, not number it?). Sounds reasonable. I can only ever find DDR4 at stupid prices regardless of the bandwidth. But then I don't live in the USA, beyond the borders of which are only for being ripped off, or are not worthy of entering any competitions.

Mmmmm, geez a bunch of non-committal answers, to a bunch of questions which are hard to answer without specific detail. Ok, for something a bit more informative while still being next to useless.

Yep you can ten box on a 5820. You could probably ten box on a fairly limited machine like an i5-3570 for example if you used the right settings, although it may be a little laggy in places. You will normally want to have an i7 something for as many cores as you can get. Don't expect to be streaming at the same time.

Your GPU will probably need to be reasonably decent, and although any of the ones you listed would be candidates, the 980Ti would probably be the GPU of my choice. WoW used to have the NVidia "Way it's meant to be played" logo back in the day, and I'm fairly sure the 980Ti does a bit better than the R9 380 in most benches. It does depend on other factors, like what resolution you are using and what graphics settings you have on each game client and whether your CPU can keep up (which is going to be more GHz than cores, but that also depends on a bunch of technical reasoning).

1440p is going to be interesting. If you are running 10 of them, then you will probably need to have your in game options turned down a bit, like post processing/bloom effects, and then maybe aliasing, filtering, buffering and texture settings. It may still not be impressive frame rates in certain places too. It is just going to be a shitload of processing hands down, and the developers just don't optimize their games for people to be running around playing multiple copies of the game on the same machine.
It also depends on whether you are running true 1440p, and if that is 1920x1440, 2160x1440, 2560x1440 or 3440x1440. I run a 2560x1440 setup myself, but the actual resolution I use per game is 2560x1200. Mind you if I was running 10 clients rather, then it would probably be different, that depends on how I would setup the layout.

Basically, if I had the spare money to buy a 5820 with 32GB of DDR4, along with a 980Ti, then that is what I would go for. I reckon I could 10 box on that by adjusting some of my expectations of the visuals. Someone else will probably have a different opinion.
If I had moar spare money,and no handbrake, then I'd buy moar power, but that would probably be vanity beating into my wallet rather than any specific measured reasoning.

Unless someone who actually 10 boxes with the hardware you have listed turns up to answer, which I assume is "what is the minimum specs I need" because that what the title of your post is, it's all going to be best guess and conjecture about what you might be able to do with it. It would probably help if you didn't leave out the "I want to play at these specific graphic settings" part, because that is going to be a huge determining factor about the minimum specs that you need.
e.g. MiRai has videos playing 5 characters at unknown resolution (I'm going to assume at least 1920x1080), with everything turned up to really fancy graphics settings because he likes the eye candy, and outputting decent FPS, usually above a minimum of 30FPS. This was powered by 3x 780Ti's, and each of those GPUs was running at 60% and higher most of the time, because it is hard work to drive the high level eye candy on a game that is not designed to share (which no game is).

I guess this might be more unhelpful than not. Sry. Dont mean to be, but the question is just not easy to answer.

Return to Multiboxing Hardware