FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

New Nvidia Cards on the horizen...

Moderator: MiRai

<<

TMJ

Post Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:32 pm

New Nvidia Cards on the horizen...

I have been wanting to get a new graphics card for some time and been researching and found this article --->

http://wccftech.com/nvidia-pascal-gpu-1 ... s-in-2016/

It says pascal will be like 10x maxwell, which seems to be pretty insane claims judging by what we have seen in nvidia's performance gains between generations. Also vram is going to increase almost 4x, I know that on some games my vram can be a limit when running multiple instances. It seems like this will be a great thing for multiboxers for sure.

I think at this point I just want to wait until these new cards come out before I buy one.

New cards suppose to hit the market in 2016. Anyone else want to comment on this?
<<

bob

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:54 pm

Re: New Nvidia Cards on the horizen...

You can always wait for what is on the horizon in the tech industry, you'd save some money and never upgrade.

10x Maxwell is a fairly bold claim, and reminds me of a recent bold claim by AMD re: HBM memory.
The tech industry is full of Bold Stupendous claims. We should abbreviate that to BS claims. They usually are in reality. I'd have to see it to believe it in this industry.
The norm is a 10-25% performance increase over the previous generation GPU. About the only time that wasn't true was back when you went from an 8Mhz 8086 to a 12Mhz 80286. That was a 50% increase, but on a CPU before a GPU was a thing.

But all that said, the pixels it is written on looks interesting, and may even stand up to a few of their claims. Not sure 10X the performance level will be one of them, but hey, we can but dream for our 32GB gfx cards running our 120inch 8K 180deg curved immersive surround displays.
<<

TMJ

Post Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:00 pm

The first thing I thought was this is just all BS and hype for their new product. But changing the architecture so much and moving to the 16nm process can give some credence to their claims. I was going to buy an GTX970 as I am not really gonna drop the cash for 980 or titan. But the vram problem with 970 just bugs me to no end, very reluctant to buy a 970 with this issue. And with it being out on the market so long make me want to at least wait and see what these new cards will be like.

But yea I know what you mean with everything always being on the horizon, tech moves fast there are always better items coming out. I have some sense of optimism for these new cards and hoping that they will deliver.
<<

bob

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:29 pm

I agree, the potential for greatness is there. But even the little grey print says it is "very rough estimates", and the picture indicates that a single card is only a rough 5x increase. NVlink is another x2 on that, but duh, SLI always increases it "roughly x2", which in reality has turned out to be not quite a double in performance.
Still, if they can get single card perf increase to be 250% of current (talking current 980TI/TitanX here), I'll be impressed.

Then if I can get a graphics card or 2 to run one of these and have that running at 8K (or more) rather than 3xFHD, I'd be happy; poor, but happy.
Mind you, one of these would be even better at 8k (or a multiple).

Return to Multiboxing Hardware