FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Split Load 2 GPUs

Moderator: MiRai

<<

mcollins27

Post Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:44 am

Split Load 2 GPUs

I have dual 7970s and I read the GPU management article.

I saw that running Crossfire will not allow you to split the load between the GPUs. So I disabled Crossfire in the driver and have two independent cards. I have three monitors and plugged my left one into the second card.

I've tried a few configurations but can't seem to get any load on the 2nd GPU. I thought by plugging in the left screen into another GPU, that the left screen would be powered by that GPU but it doesn't appear to be the case.

Anyone have GPU load split between two AMD cards?
<<

MiRai

Vibrant Videographer

Post Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:24 am

Re: Split Load 2 GPUs

Your Window Layout needs to be set up for a split-GPU setup:

http://isboxer.com/wiki/GPU_Management# ... tiple_GPUs

It can also help if you assign which monitor or display adapter a game client should be running off of (not all games offer this option and you don't mention what game you're playing).
<<

mcollins27

Post Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:08 am

Thanks for the reply.

That's what I was attempting to do. The home region of my alts are on the left monitor which is on GPU2, while the home region of my main is on the right monitor, which is on GPU1 (center monitor is where they swap to and it's GPU1.)

(I'm playing Diablo 3, btw.)
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:27 am

That's pretty much all you need to do.

You can verify what GPU each is assigned to when they are all running. Open the ISBoxer Control Panel (Ctrl+Shift+Alt+G), click the debug tab, and click the "Capture State" button. This will Copy some info for you to then Paste either in Notepad or here in a reply if you'd like us to take a look.

One of the lines for each game instance will either be "Rendering on <display name>" or "Rendering on <display name>, bound to <display name>". <display name> will be something like \\.\DISPLAY1 depending on what Windows is calling them. The "bound to" part tells you which monitor is its home (and therefore the selected GPU), and if the "Rendering on" doesn't match and the display is on a different GPU, that is when the performance hit is expected.
<<

mcollins27

Post Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:56 pm

Thanks again.

Ran that debug and it lists the rendering and bound to as expected. I did still have the Crossfire bridge connector on, so I took that off, but that doesn't seem to change anything. I already have Crossfire disabled in the driver, though.
<<

mcollins27

Post Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:44 am

Figured it out - I had not recreated the Windows Layouts after plugging a monitor into GPU2. Since they all launched in the correct window I didn't think I had to. When I re-ran the wizard, I had one display called Display7 and once it was using that, GPU2 came to life.

Thanks again all for the help.

Return to Multiboxing Hardware