FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

SSD Question - Considering upgrading...

Moderator: MiRai

<<

bugme143

Post Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:46 pm

SSD Question - Considering upgrading...

For those who have gone from having their game files on a HDD to having it on a SSD, would it be worth tossing the money down for a SSD to hold just the OS, the game files of the game you're boxing, and Innerspace? Is the improvement that significant?

I was already considering just buying a tiny SSD for just my OS files, but if the SSD speeds impact the game by a significant margin, I may pony up the extra cash for a larger SSD.

e: Also what tools do you use to move files from disk to disk, if any?
Last edited by bugme143 on Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm an EVE bro with extended knowledge of incursions. Feel free to contact me here.
<<

MiRai

Vibrant Videographer

Post Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:11 pm

Re: SSD Question - Considering upgrading...

I tell everyone that if they can afford an SSD that they should get one because it speeds things up greatly. However, it's not going to give you a boost in FPS unless your HDD is currently a bottleneck in your system (which it could very well be with how fast CPUs and GPUs are these days). If anything, you're likely going to see smoother FPS rather than stuttering, especially in areas where there are a lot of textures that need to be loaded all at once.

I also cannot recommend any SSD smaller than 120/128GB because if you go smaller than that you take a performance hit.
<<

bugme143

Post Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:31 am

MiRai wrote:I tell everyone that if they can afford an SSD that they should get one because it speeds things up greatly. However, it's not going to give you a boost in FPS unless your HDD is currently a bottleneck in your system (which it could very well be with how fast CPUs and GPUs are these days). If anything, you're likely going to see smoother FPS rather than stuttering, especially in areas where there are a lot of textures that need to be loaded all at once.

I also cannot recommend any SSD smaller than 120/128GB because if you go smaller than that you take a performance hit.

I think my hard drive is the only thing i havent upgraded. Recently got a 660ti, upgraded to the AMD 4ghz 8-core, 24gb RAM.
I'm an EVE bro with extended knowledge of incursions. Feel free to contact me here.
<<

Hoot

Post Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:47 am

Just want to toss this in. I use and have been Using Samsung 840 Evo's since they released. Very solid performance!

The up side to owning an Evo is the price. The 250gb variety is only 118 bucks right now on Amazon!

As for tools, I use Acronis Products. A good clean install might not hurt either.
<<

Ualaa

Grandmaster Guidesmith

Post Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:40 pm

I once asked Lax if there was a benefit of having Inner Space on the SSD.
He basically said no.

I've got my OS and whatever games I'm actively playing, on my SSD.
Streaming in 720p HD: www.twitch.tv/ualaa

Return to Multiboxing Hardware