FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

A new graphic card

Moderator: MiRai

<<

chilloxy

Post Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:08 pm

A new graphic card

i want to know if it is possible to build a rig with two different graphic cards.

I'm actually 7 boxing EvE Online

I would like to use my GTX580 for the game instances on my 1st monitor and a second GTX750 for the dxnothing on my second monitor. Is this possible?
I know that it is possible to run all 7 instances on one monitor with my GTX580 without having a fps drop but with the dxnothing i have a huge fps drop.
I hope anyone can help me.

best regards

chilloxy
<<

MiRai

Vibrant Videographer

Post Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:13 pm

Re: A new graphic card

chilloxy wrote:i want to know if it is possible to build a rig with two different graphic cards.

I'm actually 7 boxing EvE Online

I would like to use my GTX580 for the game instances on my 1st monitor and a second GTX750 for the dxnothing on my second monitor. Is this possible?
I know that it is possible to run all 7 instances on one monitor with my GTX580 without having a fps drop but with the dxnothing i have a huge fps drop.
I hope anyone can help me.

best regards

chilloxy

Sure, it's possible, but I'd never recommend doing it because the moment you begin using cross-GPU rendering is the moment you're going to take a ridiculous performance hit. With what you're saying you'd be rendering VFX viewers from the 580 on a dxNothing window attached to the 750 -- And this is pretty much the definition of cross-GPU rendering.

The only way this could work with splitting the load across different GPUs would be if you were to separate some of your game clients onto each GPU... but then you'd have to change up your dxNothing layout and all of that.
<<

chilloxy

Post Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:30 pm

thank you for your very fast reply

when this goes to cross-GPU rendering would it be better to run two GTX580 in SLI or buying a completely new card. I love this setup.
I don't want to ask those stupid questions but i really don't know what to do now. I asked a couple of friends about graphic cards one means that nvidia cards aren't so good for a good multiboxing rig he means that AMD cards could handle it better. What do you mean?
<<

MiRai

Vibrant Videographer

Post Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:22 pm

chilloxy wrote:when this goes to cross-GPU rendering would it be better to run two GTX580 in SLI or buying a completely new card. I love this setup.

Depending on how much you have to spend you could go either route. GTX 580s are pretty cheap on eBay and I personally have both a 1.5GB and 3GB GTX 580 that I'd like to get rid of. :)

The newer cards (like a GTX 780 or GTX 780Ti) will be as powerful as 2 - 3 GTX 580s in SLI, but obviously they're much more expensive.

chilloxy wrote:I don't want to ask those stupid questions but i really don't know what to do now. I asked a couple of friends about graphic cards one means that nvidia cards aren't so good for a good multiboxing rig he means that AMD cards could handle it better. What do you mean?

For EVE? I've never heard of one GPU doing better than another, but the fact is that if you do use nVidia GPUs you can use SLI in windowed mode (which is what we multibox in), whereas with AMD you cannot do that because Crossfire doesn't currently (and has never as far as I know) support any type of windowed mode.

But as for which manufacturer is better in terms of a single GPU setup? I can't answer that because: 1) I don't play EVE, and 2) I've not heard of anyone who plays EVE complain about one manufacturer or the other.

Return to Multiboxing Hardware