FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Which is Better... 2 PCs or 1?

Moderator: MiRai

<<

Robertw445

Post Wed May 28, 2014 1:40 pm

Which is Better... 2 PCs or 1?

I am wondering if it is better to run 2 PCs?
I only run 2 toons currently in WoW.
I was thinking about activating my other 3 accounts just havent had the money.

Desktop specs:
AMD FX-8350
8 Gig 1600Mhz
R9 270x
256G SSD
39 Inch TV (1080p) (Might be alittle too big)

Laptop specs: (Asus G73sw)
I7-2630QM
8 Gig 1600Mhz
GTX 440m
17in screen (Also 1080p)

Any thoughts?

Also, how do you switch to the 2nd PC screen if you do use different PCs?
<<

Ualaa

Grandmaster Guidesmith

Post Wed May 28, 2014 2:34 pm

Re: Which is Better... 2 PCs or 1?

If you can play at a level of smoothness that is acceptable, one computer is probably the way to go.

Just because you can freely swap between every instance of the game that is rendered on your single PC.
You can run more than one video card for a PC, if you want... but there is a performance hit, if you want to swap game instances that are set to render on the other monitor (which is plugged into a different video card than the one which your main monitor is plugged into).
If your other monitor is plugged into a separate PC, you cannot swap it to your main window, which is on a physically separate computer.

If your main system cannot handle the number of clients that you want to play, multiple computers is definitely an option.
I'd imagine, but am not positive, you could build several okay systems for less than one big system.
If you wanted to 10-box World of Warcraft, on higher settings, I'd suspect two computers (each five-boxing) would be cheaper than one computer ten-boxing.
Someone like Prepared or SamDeathWalker, who are boxing 25+ accounts... could not effectively run that many on a single system.

IS Boxer does support up to five PCs in one physical location.
When I do my summer seasonal work, I bring my computer with me and IS Boxer works fine there too.
Streaming in 720p HD: www.twitch.tv/ualaa
<<

Robertw445

Post Wed May 28, 2014 2:52 pm

So with me only running 2 copies of WoW currently, it would be better to run just my desktop. I appreciate the quick response.

The only other question I am wondering is about configs... Is there somewhere that people share their ISBoxer configs to download?
I am wanting to see how others have their IS setups. Maybe it might help me to get alittle better at setting mine up. I am trying my best
to set it up where it will be beneficial to run different classes. I am slowly learning from the videos but there is alot of stuff in IS that isnt
in videos. I have read alot of the wiki but after awhile my eyes go cross eyed (LOL).
<<

Ualaa

Grandmaster Guidesmith

Post Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:31 pm

You'll get a very functional setup, just from running the wizard for your game.

That said, there are some guides on how people have their own configuration in places.
MiRai has a lot of very useful videos.
You can check out a lot of Firescue17's configuration from his posts (in the Everquest forum).
The CLS (Class - Level - Spec) setup, which is similar to the 'Pro Configuration' option (which the Wizard will do) can be downloaded and used as is, but that project has been abandoned (to the best of my knowledge) so you'd have to either use it as a working example of the 'Pro Configuration' or as a basis to move forward and/or adapt from.
On the dual-boxing.com forums, both Mosg2 and myself have had guides for the Healer + 4x Death Knight setup (which was popular in WotLK and Cataclysm expansions); Mosg2 has some videos on the setup too.
Check out the Guide and the Video section of this site, and www.dual-boxing.com in general.

The older someone else's setup, the more likely it is to be broken or otherwise in need of fixing.

You can backup your configuration (I'd recommend periodically doing this anyway) and then clear it and load someone elses.
People often post that something is not working correctly, and are asking for help, and so they share their configuration.
You can definitely take a look at someone's configuration by loading it.
Just remember that it is broken in some way, and likely needs to fixed with whatever was suggested to them.

If you go with the wizard generated configuration, that's not the end.
There are a lot of how-to information in the various forums of this site and on the isboxer wiki.

If you want to do something in game, but cannot... you can always post 'How would I accomplish whatever', in the relevant sub-forum for your game.
Lax has an amazing level of support.
Also people who have played whatever game... a lot of them like to give something back to the community.

If a feature does not exist, and doesn't violate the terms of a given game... Lax has added a ton of things to IS Boxer over time.
Streaming in 720p HD: www.twitch.tv/ualaa

Return to Multiboxing Hardware