FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

I already f**ked up i think

Moderator: MiRai

<<

Zumescu

Post Wed May 21, 2014 8:58 am

I already f**ked up i think

Don't ask me why but i think i should have gotten i7 4670k just didn't afford it at the time.

What is my problem? First this is my desktop configuration

CPU: i5 4th gen 4670k @ 4.2ghz stable
RAM: 2x4gb 1600mhz kingston beast
MOBO: Asrock Pro 4 MZ87
Cooler: 212 Evo
SSD: 120gb Kingoston
PSU: Cooltek 650 watts
GFX: Gigabyte 760GTX 2gb ddr5 OC Windforce 3

Im multiboxing 4x crusaders on all details low on 1920x1080 and it feels choppy laggy. I was kinda expected that everything would run smooth on this configuration maybe im doing something wrong maybe i need i7. Please help me improve my performance. Btw ram is at 7gb use at peak times on windows 8.1 x64 so i don't think i need 16gb of ram also CPU is almost always at 100% utilization so i think i either have some settings wrong or the procesor or GFX but i think GFX is ok can't handle 4xmultiboxing at a stable FPS and not feel so choppy.
<<

MiRai

Vibrant Videographer

Post Wed May 21, 2014 9:33 am

Re: I already f**ked up i think

Improving performance pretty much comes down to three things:

1) Turn down your video settings
2) Lower your resolution
3) Lower your fore/background FPS

But there are a few more tips on this page:
http://isboxer.com/wiki/HOWTO:Tweak_your_framerate
<<

Zumescu

Post Wed May 21, 2014 9:56 am

Thanks, but i have everything as low as possible on native resolution 1920x1080, foreground fps should be 30 and other 60?

Btw is i5 4670k @ 4,2ghz good enough or maybe i7 would be better? And gfx is enough right?

LE: My fps drops from 60 to 6-10 fps when i cast ascendancy, its abit unplayable... I wish i knew if maybe i should replace CPU or GFX ?
<<

MiRai

Vibrant Videographer

Post Wed May 21, 2014 10:33 am

Zumescu wrote:Thanks, but i have everything as low as possible on native resolution 1920x1080, foreground fps should be 30 and other 60?

I gave a simple list of things which will help improve performance and you can check the first one off of the list because you said you're already running things on low. So, the next step would be to either lower your resolution or drop your FPS -- The page I linked to covers this.

It also doesn't matter if your monitor's native resolution is 1920x1080 when the game is running in Windowed mode (which it is when multiboxing). Many people play at a resolution less than their monitor's native resolution. As for your FPS, the default is 60 foreground and 30 background, but you should lower it to 30/30 and see what happens.

Zumescu wrote:Btw is i5 4670k @ 4,2ghz good enough or maybe i7 would be better? And gfx is enough right?

I don't know, I don't own that hardware, but you've only got four cores and you're trying to run four game clients and an OS off of them at the same time. I linked to the Wiki where there's an entire section dedicated to showing you how to go about monitoring your hardware, but you said your CPU is maxed out, so I would imagine a CPU upgrade would only help things.
<<

Zumescu

Post Wed May 21, 2014 3:59 pm

Problem FIXED, i didn't had at CPU Hyper Threading enabled for some reason and the cpu strategy doesn't save i have to press save and export everytime and enable HT. Any solution or i have to re-install isboxer fresh?

LE: oh yea big facepalm :D
<<

MiRai

Vibrant Videographer

Post Wed May 21, 2014 5:12 pm

Zumescu wrote:Problem FIXED, i didn't had at CPU Hyper Threading enabled for some reason and the cpu strategy doesn't save i have to press save and export everytime and enable HT. Any solution or i have to re-install isboxer fresh?

LE: oh yea big facepalm :D

I'm not entirely sure what you mean when you mention re-installing ISBoxer fresh, but...

1) The Core i5 4760K doesn't have hyper-threading. If you open up the Windows Task Manager you're only going to see four cores, not eight (four logical + four virtual).

2) As for the CPU Strategy Wizard, it doesn't actually know whether you have a CPU with hyper-threading or not -- It's just a generic option that assigns cores in pairs so that if you did have hyper-threading, you could better take advantage of it and not incorrectly assign virtual cores. Also, when you bring up the CPU Strategy Wizard it is loaded with default settings, not the settings from your Character Set, so having to adjust them every single time is unnecessary (you can view the CPU affinity under the Performance tab of each Slot in your Character Set).

Return to Multiboxing Hardware