FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

5 boxing (mmos) rig cpu

Moderator: MiRai

<<

NamesLucky

Post Fri May 16, 2014 11:43 pm

5 boxing (mmos) rig cpu

I am looking to upgrade my cpu and ram to improve diablo 3 4boxing performance, and insure good performance while 5 boxing games like wildstar( if possible). I currently only 4box diablo with my 8gb ram and 4670k, and even at 4.7ghz I'm hitting 100 percent usage spikes on the cpu and ram, causing fps lag spikes.

I will be going for at least 16gb in my upgrade, if not 32.

My question, to those with any 5+ mmo boxing experience is whether I need to go for a 4930k, or if the 4770k (having hyperthreading over my 4670k) will be acceptable. A 4930k and rivbe are within the budget, but I do not want to splurge unless it is either needed OR will provide a significant performance increase while 5 boxing mmos.

Thanks for any input!
<<

MiRai

Vibrant Videographer

Post Sat May 17, 2014 12:33 am

Re: 5 boxing (mmos) rig cpu

NamesLucky wrote:I am looking to upgrade my cpu and ram to improve diablo 3 4boxing performance, and insure good performance while 5 boxing games like wildstar( if possible). I currently only 4box diablo with my 8gb ram and 4670k, and even at 4.7ghz I'm hitting 100 percent usage spikes on the cpu and ram, causing fps lag spikes.

Your RAM is spiking? RAM tends to be a pretty static number because once things are loaded into RAM they tend to stay there and hang out for awhile. I imagine that D3 uses between 500MB and 1GB of RAM per client, so even running 4 clients you really shouldn't have more than 4GB allocated to D3 at any given time.

NamesLucky wrote:I will be going for at least 16gb in my upgrade, if not 32.

16GB is probably a good number to aim for if you're looking to 5-box other MMORPGs since 8GB can be cutting it close at times.

NamesLucky wrote:My question, to those with any 5+ mmo boxing experience is whether I need to go for a 4930k, or if the 4770k (having hyperthreading over my 4670k) will be acceptable. A 4930k and rivbe are within the budget, but I do not want to splurge unless it is either needed OR will provide a significant performance increase while 5 boxing mmos.

I don't think you necessarily need a 4930K, but I don't have a system with a 4770K so I can't really compare the performance. I would guess that in a best case scenario you could expect maybe 50% out of a virtual, hyper-threaded core when compared to a physical core, but this is a total guess and I'm sure it all comes down to how well the game you're playing handles hyper-threading. A six-core CPU is obviously the route which is going to provide the most CPU power, but it's more expensive and if your GPU isn't up to the task of multiboxing at higher framerates then you're looking at upgrading that next.

As for a RIVBE... Is that necessary? Do you plan to use all the features of a $500 motherboard? I have the motherboard and I recommend it if you're going to be playing with its settings, but if you plan on just dropping the CPU into the socket and then powering on the system, never to take a look at the BIOS like most people do, then I'd have to say that spending $500 on a motherboard is not the best choice. You could probably save at least $100 on the motherboard and put it toward a new GPU if necessary -- Just steer clear of EVGA boards.

However, people are already reporting that they're having a very difficult time getting 5 WildStar clients to run at a good framerate, so I imagine that no matter what CPU you're running it's not going to be that great. I thought I heard from some random person that the devs are still trying to "optimize" the game, but its release date is less than a month away so I wouldn't necessarily hold my breath on that one.

Just some food for thought...
<<

NamesLucky

Post Sat May 17, 2014 1:05 am

Yeah sorry, spiking ram isn't correct. I generally have chrome , music playing, other stuff (likely stupid things I could also close) AND diablo lol. I showed 7.9 used in task manager.

Thank you for the input, your work and posts are always informative and appreciated. I wouldn't have known hyperthreading even helped if not for your analysis.

I think I'll go for the 4930k, it seems like the right choice with possible wildstar performance issues. And 16gb seems like it should suffice.

As for rivbe....I'm a phase change chilled methanol custom loop kind of overclocker, so I like to get as much overclocking I can out of my cpu/gpus with a solid board. My 2 780s are currently punching at overclocked ti levels with their overclock in my current system, and I don't want to lose that. Also the rivbe monoblock looks like a nice solution that isn't available to many boards. I may get the rive, if I don't find enough evidence the black is superior.

Thanks for your help!
<<

MiRai

Vibrant Videographer

Post Sat May 17, 2014 1:58 am

NamesLucky wrote:Yeah sorry, spiking ram isn't correct. I generally have chrome , music playing, other stuff (likely stupid things I could also close) AND diablo lol. I showed 7.9 used in task manager.

Ah, yes... 8GB can be cutting it close for the multi-tasking multiboxer. :)

NamesLucky wrote:Thank you for the input, your work and posts are always informative and appreciated. I wouldn't have known hyperthreading even helped if not for your analysis.

I think I'll go for the 4930k, it seems like the right choice with possible wildstar performance issues. And 16gb seems like it should suffice.

For D3, I'm honestly not sure how much it helps, but I doubt it hurts performance; as for other MMORPGs, specifically World of Warcraft, it definitely helps while multiboxing. Other games... I don't really have any conclusive evidence.

With the X79 motherboard you'll probably want to populate all four of its memory channels, so you're looking at 4x4GB for 16GB. However, if you can afford 32GB in a 4x8GB flavor, then you're going to be better off if you ever want to upgrade to more RAM -- In case you ever want to use a RAM drive for multiboxing (but you'd need to fill up all 64GB for that).

NamesLucky wrote:As for rivbe....I'm a phase change chilled methanol custom loop kind of overclocker, so I like to get as much overclocking I can out of my cpu/gpus with a solid board. My 2 780s are currently punching at overclocked ti levels with their overclock in my current system, and I don't want to lose that. Also the rivbe monoblock looks like a nice solution that isn't available to many boards. I may get the rive, if I don't find enough evidence the black is superior.

Well, then it sounds like the RIVBE won't go to waste if you grab it. I love this motherboard and was able to get my 4930K stable @ 4.5GHz using the BCLK where I couldn't get a stable OC using the EVGA X79 Dark beyond 4.1GHz. I would have liked to have cranked up the 4930K even further, but thermals were holding me back even at 4.5GHz, so I've since backed it down to 4.2GHZ (39x108) -- Obviously results may vary.

Return to Multiboxing Hardware