FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Buying a new comp, would love to get your opinions

Moderator: MiRai

<<

cp25

Post Tue May 13, 2014 9:14 pm

Buying a new comp, would love to get your opinions

Hey guys,

After 5 boxing my shamans on a laptop for a couple years and Ive decided its time to put on my big boy pants and get a desktop system. My goal is to run 5 instances of WOW with the main window at Good or better settings. The video quality of the other 4 windows isnt as important but Id like it not to lag or have the frames be choppy when entering SW or Shrine.

Ideally Id like to start bring in about 3 toons into LFR with no problems. I found that I could handle 2 toons in Cata in LFR but when MOP came out it definitely wasnt doable.

This is what Im looking to get and Id like your input. Im not a big computer person but I have read reviews on the major components. Would like your opinions on the liquid cooling part. I just asked the salesperson what is going to do a better job and he said "Go liquid its a bit noisier but works better".

i7 4930
ASUS GTX780 Direct CU II OC GeForce GTX 780 3GB PCI-E w/ Dual DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort
Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 w/ Dual DDR3 2133, 7.1 Audio, Gigabit Lan, USB 3.0, 4 Way CrossFireX / SLI
16 GB of RAM in 4gb x 4 slots. The saleperson said something about crossfire blah blah blah and suggested I use 4x4gb instead of 2x gb
Corsair Force Series GS SATA III Solid State Drive, 240GB
2 tb Harddrive
Corsair Hydro Series H80i High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler
Cooler Master CM 690 II Advanced

Any thoughts?
<<

MiRai

Vibrant Videographer

Post Wed May 14, 2014 1:12 am

Re: Buying a new comp, would love to get your opinions

cp25 wrote:16 GB of RAM in 4gb x 4 slots. The saleperson said something about crossfire blah blah blah and suggested I use 4x4gb instead of 2x8gb

Well, with an X79 board this is tricky because those motherboards utilize four channels of memory (x2). So, if you don't populate at least the first four channels then you're going to be taking a slight performance hit. Is 4x8GB not in the budget?

cp25 wrote:Corsair Force Series GS SATA III Solid State Drive, 240GB

This is a personal bias, but I don't like any SSD that uses a current generation SandForce controller. I would recommend a Samsung EVO (same warranty / different controller) or Pro (better warranty / different controller).

Other than that, everything looks fine; but you may want to read what I had to say about memory in X79 motherboard:

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=5649 (my first two replies in the thread)

EDIT: As for liquid cooling being noisier ....? A big selling point of liquid is that it's quieter. -_- I've never used those all-in-one liquid setups before though, so I can't comment on whether they're worth it or not.

Return to Multiboxing Hardware