FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Which Case?

Moderator: MiRai

<<

Shadowandlight

Post Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:33 pm

Which Case?

Looking to ditch my 4u server cases, i've only had them a few months but I had to jury rig the water cooler radiators and im not a fan of that.

Which case would be better as a replacement?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811119265

or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811147053

Also other recommendations are more then welcome!
<<

MiRai

Vibrant Videographer

Post Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:24 am

Re: Which Case?

Cases are so subjective (beyond the need of having enough room to fit all your hardware), but I prefer cases that are mostly metal and feel like they're built to withstand a blast of some sort (nuclear, chemical, etc -- Whatever dangers are in your area).

I've never felt like I was a fan of Cooler Master cases because their stuff just kinda looks like it's a big piece of plastic. I've used a lot of 'cheap' cases in my computer-building life, and it wasn't until I moved to my Silverstone Fortress that I saw the light. Now, this thing is very heavy duty, but it's probably a tad small unless you only have a single radiator that houses a 120mm fan (although they do provide instructions for using a triple radiator with this case).

If you want a serious case, then here are some manufacturers to check out:

• Silverstone
    • Builds heavy duty cases that look and feel like they can withstand any aforementioned blasts
    • I wanted to go with the TJ-11 for my newest build, but the case was way too expensive (but it's a beast!)
  • Mountain Mods
    • These guys make ridiculous sized cases like the double-wide 'cube' cases
    • Lots of room for any water cooling you may have
  • Corsair
    • I've heard good things about the 800D/900D cases and I was looking at them (in addition to the TJ-11) for my latest build
  • Fractal Design
    • I actually feel like these guys are kind of 'hoity- toity' and they try to be fancier than they really are, but I put them up here anyway since they are a well-known manufacturer
  • Lian-Li
    • Another manufacturer that's well-known. I owned one of these full tower cases back in the day and I wasn't prepared for how big it was, so it went highly under utilized (TWSS)
    • I feel like because they gained their fame years ago that you're now paying for the name and you might be able to get better cases for the same price or less (This is an old opinion of mine and wasn't re-checked when I wrote this)

But budgets are budgets and not everyone can afford a new $300 or $600 (FML) case when they want to upgrade. You may already understand the heavy-duty factor because you are moving away from a 4U rack case (which is actually what I would like to move to in the future). ;)
<<

Alge

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:53 am

MiRai wrote:I wanted to go with the TJ-11 for my newest build, but the case was way too expensive (but it's a beast!)

I have one. It's a great case.

The only drawback is it didn't play well with my Corsair H100 (which I'm glad I've now ditched for air) - as long as you are doing your own hoses it won't be an issue.
<<

SteelDragon

Post Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:38 am

that haf xb from cooler master is a great case I have one and love it. It has a shocking amount of room inside and I love the quick remove hard drive bays. I can't recommend this case enough excellent air flow and enough room for a quad video card system and all the cooling you could want
<<

Ualaa

Grandmaster Guidesmith

Post Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:08 pm

I went with an Antec product, for the last couple of cases.
Antec 900 Gamer and Antec 1200.
Streaming in 720p HD: www.twitch.tv/ualaa
<<

Shadowandlight

Post Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:50 pm

Thanks everyone for your input btw.

I went back and forth for a while on this but went with the Roswill case

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811147053

Frankly its awesome and for $100 after rebate totally work the money. Very roomy, easy to work on, has good cable management behind the mainboard plate (if you care about that sort of thing) and most importantly I was able to easily mount my dual fan radiator to the top of the case.

If your looking for a great case in the $100 range I'd buy this one again in a heart beat.

Return to Multiboxing Hardware