FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Intel Vs AMD

Moderator: MiRai

<<

Shdwflare

Post Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:12 am

Intel Vs AMD

I used to multibox wow x5 without any hassle. Just started 4 boxing FFXIV and having alot of issues with Chars on follow falling behind. Also graphics on absolute lowest to get even 25 fps. Right now I have an AMD fx-6200 cpu, 16 gigs of ram, 680 video card and SSD. I know I want an I7 for hyper threading, but I remember hearing about ivy-bridge and sandy-bridge on cpu's, the ivy-bridge being the only true 3.0 pci-e or something. Will I see enough of a gpu performance with the IVY or would my overall performance be best going with a faster sandy bridge cpu? And does the motherboard matter a whole lot into performance?

Thank you!
<<

MiRai

Vibrant Videographer

Post Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:49 am

Re: Intel Vs AMD

Shdwflare wrote:I know I want an I7 for hyper threading, but I remember hearing about ivy-bridge and sandy-bridge on cpu's, the ivy-bridge being the only true 3.0 pci-e or something.

It shouldn't matter much because Sandy Bridge is "old" at this point and you won't be able to buy hardware for it unless you hunt around. Ivy Bridge came out last year, Haswell was just released, and Ivy Bridge E is about to be released in a week or two. If you're moving to an X79 platform, you can use the PCIe 3.0 hack from nVidia to enable it.

Shdwflare wrote:Will I see enough of a gpu performance with the IVY or would my overall performance be best going with a faster sandy bridge cpu? And does the motherboard matter a whole lot into performance?

I don't know. Like I said above, Sandy Bridge is EOL at this point, but you would only see an increase in GPU performance if your CPU is holding you back a lot (which it probably is) and causing your GPU to be under-utilized. Sandy, Ivy, and Haswell are all pretty much the same, but it obviously makes sense to choose the newest platform as long as it fits your budget.

Return to Multiboxing Hardware