FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Choosing a 27" Quad HD Monitor

Moderator: MiRai

<<

Mellesande

Post Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:58 am

Choosing a 27" Quad HD Monitor

I need a little advice from you guys. I'm looking at upgrading one of my double 22" Viewsonics to a 27" Quad HD monitor. I can't go splurging but I finally have enough to get something in the entry level ($550-$600ish). I'm currently comparing Samsung S27A850D and ASUS PB278Q. Normally the Samsung would be quite a bit more expensive but I can get a refurb for the same price as the new ASUS. Then I noticed that the Samsung has two DVI ports and no HDMI port where the Asus has a DVI and an HDMI. I don't currently actually use HDMI though my card has that option.

What I do with it:
I primarily 4-6 box EQ1 though I fool around a little in EQ2 and LOTRO as well. I also play a lot of other single session games and would multi WoW if it ever went F2P!
Both monitors will be VESA mounted so any comparisons over their stands is irrelevant.

My questions are:
The Samsung is a refurb. Can I trust a refurb?
Is there something significantly better in that Samsung that makes it worth $200 more (and therefore the refurb a better deal)?
What do you use two DVI ins for? If I'm only using one PC I am guessing that's no value to me?
Should the HDMI for greater flexibility be important enough to me to get the ASUS?
Is there a better QuadHD choice I should be looking at?

Both got good reviews at cnet.com though cnet mentioned the lack of HDMI on Samsung.

I think where I stand right now is unless I can understand why the Samsung is a greater value than the ASUS I might as well get the ASUS and get the better warranty but that's subject to change on a moment by moment basis. /sigh

I hate shopping for tech. I'm always afraid I'm going to get the wrong thing and waste a ton of money.
<<

rfarris

Post Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:13 pm

Re: Choosing a 27" Quad HD Monitor

What do you mean "QuadHD?" If you mean a resolution greater than HDMI, and if your video card supports it, then you won't need the HDMI port.

I moved up from HDMI to 2560x1600 and I wouldn't go back.

Also, there are multiple kinds of DVI ports. DVI-I, DVI-D (both come in single-link and dual-link) and DVI-A. Do both monitors have the same kind of DVI ports? What kind does your video card have? Do you have the correct cable? Some of those cables are damned pricey.

Return to Multiboxing Hardware