FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Quad boxing Diablo - 750M SLI Lenovo or Single 770M

Moderator: MiRai

<<

Djeayzonne

Post Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:44 pm

Quad boxing Diablo - 750M SLI Lenovo or Single 770M

Well, I am just finishing my week trial, but I am hooked and definitely want to play this way.
Current setup is Clevo D900F with 280M (desktop I7 920).

I can do the quad with lowest settings, 1600/900 resolution, main screen at 30/19 FPS, alts at 16/16, but I am only averaging 17 or so FPS on main screen. I assume this is the age I the GPU, and I had been planning to get a new laptop this summer anyway, but new to this so not sure what would be better? Desktop is not an option.
<<

Djeayzonne

Post Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:29 am

Re: Quad boxing Diablo - 750M SLI Lenovo or Single 770M

By the way, interesting observation last night. I normally play through the HDMI output to my project through the AV receiver, but last night I play on just the laptop screen.
I had a significant improvement in performance at the same settings, averaging about 25 FPS on the main with 28-30 most of the time except when heavy mobs or the initial casting of blizzard spell.
I am now back on the monitor, and even typing this message is now slow and there is a slight delay from typing to the visual (just paused the game to type this)

What gives? If I can get the same performance as just using the laptop on my projector, it is definitely livable for now.
<<

nodoze

Post Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:40 am

Regarding the 750 SLI or 770M I would first read the following posted by LAX:

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1448

http://isboxer.com/wiki/GPU_Management

Personally I would go with the single 770M knowing that later I could add a second 770M if needed.

Regarding your local display and projector, once the projector is connected, have you tried turning off your native laptop display and only having the projector as a screen ?
<<

MiRai

Vibrant Videographer

Post Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:10 pm

nodoze wrote:Personally I would go with the single 770M knowing that later I could add a second 770M if needed.

It's unlikely that he'll be able to add a second video card to a laptop at a later date after the initial purchase, but I would also recommend sticking with one, more powerful, video card as opposed to SLI.

I know nothing about using projectors as external monitors (or projectors in general), but it could be as nodoze says, or it could be that your projector is outputting a higher resolution than your native laptop resolution? /shrug
<<

nodoze

Post Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:41 pm

Clevo's are more expandable than typical laptops but regardless a single beefier one is likely best.

Good tip in the following article to test & view the lag in your multiple displays:

http://www.projectorreviews.com/blog/20 ... rojectors/
<<

Djeayzonne

Post Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:47 pm

Thanks for the replies. No the laptop has higher resolution at 1920/1200, and the laptop screen is not used.

Well on Saturday I lost one of my team (playing hardcore) due to video processing lag and didn't feel like waiting a month for a custom laptop, so bought parts and built a mini-ATX config with a new Haswell I7, 16G RAM and a 770 from EVGA.

What a difference, I have all instances at max settings at 60 FPS even though I only switch screens to pick up loot. Such overkill but this is my first experience with a fluid and consistent 60fps, had no idea what I was missing.

I'll just get one of those new Sonys when they update them to Haswell for a work laptop.

Return to Multiboxing Hardware