FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

CPU Temperature too high

Moderator: MiRai

<<

Atyz

Post Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:39 pm

CPU Temperature too high

Hi all,

I don't find any posts about my probleme.

My config :

Configuration - 39208

Here differents records of my CPU temps :

- idle : 42 °C
- 2 Rift clients without ISBoxer : 55 °C
- 2 Rift clients WITH ISBoxer : burn up to 89 °C ... =/

I try differents config with CPU Wizard, but always same problem (even if I can't see if the config is correctly taken into account, when I re-run wizard to verify, options are in default states).

So, for the moment, I can't use ISBoxer because of temperature :(

I always have the default intel ventirad, but, even if I change it, temperature will always be too high :x

Do you have any ideas on what I can do to solve this probleme ?

Thx in advance !
<<

Xeniaz

Post Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: CPU Temperature too high

In regards to your CPU temperature being too high, you need to re-evaluate your cooling system. If you are using a stock CPU cooler, that is your easy upgrade. Remove the stock cooler and replace it with something more efficient. Most stock coolers push air straight off the CPU, in many cases, this is less than ideal. Typically, you'll want a fan to push air into the case from the front, and exhaust that air in the back. When you look for a CPU cooler, try and find one that pushes the air towards the back of the case rather than straight up. Other things to consider include your room temperature while you're playing, and where you have your case located. If you happen to have a computer desk where you stick the tower into a small enclosed space, you will need to find a different spot to put the computer, or do something clever to keep air moving through that space. This LINK is an example of the type of CPU cooler you will want to look for. Please note that I am not endorsing this particular item, just giving you an idea what to look for.
<<

MiRai

Vibrant Videographer

Post Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:20 pm

Idle at 42° C is way too high to begin with. I have a similar system which is overclocked and I idle at about 32° C in a room with
ambient temps reaching 80° F (27° C).

What it sounds like is your heatsink fan isn't on the CPU correctly or there is a lack of (or excess) thermal grease. If you're using the
stock Intel heatsink fan then there should be enough thermal grease and it may be mounted incorrectly. I, myself, have never used
the stock Intel cooler for the new Sandy Bridge processors but I hear they're not so great, however, 2 RIFT clients shouldn't be taking
the CPU to those temps.

I'm not sure if bad CPU affinity for 2 clients could cause such ridiculous temperatures but I doubt it. My guess is you should be
inspecting your CPU cooler.
<<

Atyz

Post Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:30 am

Thx for your quick answers :)

Indeed, like MiRai said, it was the cooler, thermal grease and/or heatsink was not correctly on CPU.

After some assembly / disassembly, I can run ISBoxer without overtake a temperature of 60°C :))) It not the best but it's cool :)

Also, I ordered a new cooler to replace the intel one and to lower even more the temp.

Thank you again to you both !

Return to Multiboxing Hardware