FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Hardware performance review for WoW Cataclysm!

Moderator: MiRai

<<

Stealthy

Post Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:54 pm

Hardware performance review for WoW Cataclysm!

Hi all,

A really good review on hardware and performance in WoW here:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/wor ... ,2793.html

A few interesting things to note:

ATI Crossfire does not work in windowed mode - this includes dual GPU video cards like the 5970. This basically makes any dual ATI video card setup under Crossfire pointless for multiboxing WoW, because you will be running your WoW sessions in windowed mode. Additionally, dual GPU cards will only take advantage of the first GPU, meaning a single GPU card with comparative performance will always be the better option.

WoW still scales with CPU speed - so upgrading or overclocking a CPU should result in an increase in performance.

Also related - Nvidia has introduced SLI support for Windowed games with their latest drivers (266.58) - so there might be hope for multiboxing under SLI setups yet. I don't have Nvidia cards currently so I can't test the drivers myself, however I will be following the development with interest. Initial reports have been mixed - some are saying it offers improvements, others say it causes crashes, but this is to be expected with a new driver release IMO.

Cheers,
S.
<<

tanker

Post Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:18 pm

Re: Hardware performance review for WoW Cataclysm!

I'm using a GTX 295 with 266 drivers, and I can confirm both GPUs are working in LoTRO under Innerspace. I haven't tested WoW yet, still trying to rec over my WTF file from backup tape.
<<

nodoze

Post Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:08 am

Can ISBoxer run Wow in full screen mode in each region allowing SLI &/or CrossFire to improve things?

Edit: After reading the full review at Tom's Hardware, it seems that the dual GPUs don't really seem to help regardless of windowed or full-screen modes.
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:36 am

nodoze wrote:Can ISBoxer run Wow in full screen mode in each region allowing SLI &/or CrossFire to improve things?

Edit: After reading the full review at Tom's Hardware, it seems that the dual GPUs don't really seem to help regardless of windowed or full-screen modes.

Full Screen Mode is an exclusive mode. Only one game can be launched in exclusive, full screen mode. In order to launch multiple instances, it MUST be windowed. The game itself can still be configured to be in full screen mode, but ISBoxer must force it to actually be in a window in order to multibox on one PC.

Here's my wiki pages on the topic. Should I use two video cards?
and GPU Management

Return to Multiboxing Hardware