FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Games won't launch

Moderator: MiRai

<<

propagandalf

Post Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:26 pm

Games won't launch

When I launch my character sets the first executable starts but then dies 2 seconds later. I can see the process start in the task manager and then die. This is happening with both WoW and RIFT.

This is happening on a new MX11-R2 Alienware laptop. I can launch multiple instances of both WoW and RIFT manually, so it's not that the laptop can't handle it.

Lax suggested it was my virus protection or some service (like AlienwareFX) that's the likely culprit. I uninstalled my virus protection, no luck. I also went through and stopped/disabled many of the services running in the background (especially all the Alienware stuff), but no luck there either.

Anyone have any ideas?

Here are the event logs for both WoW and RIFT. MS website offered no help on them, though:
Code:
RIFT log:
===================================================================================
Faulting application name: riftpatchlive.exe, version: 1.0.0.0, time stamp:
0x4d71321c
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.1.7601.17514, time stamp:
0x4ce7bafa
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000360fe
Faulting process id: 0x488
Faulting application start time: 0x01cbdee0335b841c
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files
(x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\rift\riftpatchlive.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\syswow64\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: 73e9f991-4ad3-11e0-b9c3-5c260a3dad28
===================================================================================

WoW log:
Faulting application name: WoW.exe, version: 4.0.6.13623, time stamp:
0x4d53542a
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.1.7600.16385, time stamp:
0x4a5bdbdf
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000360ce
Faulting process id: 0x1148
Faulting application start time: 0x01cbd6029472f46b
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\WoW\World of Warcraft\WoW.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\syswow64\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: dd5fc057-41f5-11e0-9616-5c260a3d5a28

Thanks in advance!!
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:03 pm

Re: Games won't launch

Well, it's definitely related to some other software installed on your PC, and unfortunately that error info doesn't give details as to exactly which program it is. :( (Kernelbase.dll is part of windows itself)

I do have another idea, though.

Hijack This! (download) which I believe I had you run before for the original diagnosis, has another option that we can use to get additional relevant information.

1. In its main menu (where the big buttons are that show when you first run it), click on "Open the Misc Tools section"
2. Under "System tools" click "Open process manager"
3. In the upper right corner is a check box that says "Show DLLs", check that
4. Run the game as you would normally, without Inner Space.
5. Back in Hijack This, click the Refresh button to refresh the process list (unless you opened the game FIRST and it's already in the list), and click on the wow.exe or rift.exe process (or whatever other game). When the right process is selected, the bottom part of the window will list the DLLs loaded in the process
6. There's a "Copy list to clipboard" icon to the left of "Show DLLs". Click that to copy it to the clipboard
7. Paste somewhere, e.g. here or on privatepaste.com

What I will do with this information is look over the list of loaded DLLs, for other programs that are affecting the game. The trick in identifying the one causing the problem is really just to cut them out until it works. It's also possible that you get all of them removed, and it still doesn't work... but I'd have to verify that from this type of log.
<<

propagandalf

Post Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:11 pm

http://privatepaste.com/2af509649b

Thanks for helping Lax!
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:22 pm

Aha!

Looks like you're in the same boat as Svpernova09 at the moment. I just found out about this program while working through this same issue with him in the chat room yesterday:
Code:
C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\CoProcManager\detoured.dll         
C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\CoProcManager\nvd3d9wrap.dll      8.17.12.6658   NVIDIA Corporation
C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\CoProcManager\nvdxgiwrap.dll      8.17.12.6658   NVIDIA Corporation

NVIDIA's CoProcManager (which selects between your GPUs to save power) is conflicting with Inner Space. I think I can work around it, though. I will see what I can do about that in the next few days
<<

propagandalf

Post Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:38 pm

Thanks Lax. I'd be super appreciative if you get it to work. I bought this gaming laptop with dual-boxing in mind. :)
<<

propagandalf

Post Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:14 am

lax wrote:Aha!

Looks like you're in the same boat as Svpernova09 at the moment. I just found out about this program while working through this same issue with him in the chat room yesterday:
Code:
C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\CoProcManager\detoured.dll         
C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\CoProcManager\nvd3d9wrap.dll      8.17.12.6658   NVIDIA Corporation
C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\CoProcManager\nvdxgiwrap.dll      8.17.12.6658   NVIDIA Corporation

NVIDIA's CoProcManager (which selects between your GPUs to save power) is conflicting with Inner Space. I think I can work around it, though. I will see what I can do about that in the next few days

Any luck with this? :)
<<

jimthev

Post Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:06 am

lax wrote:NVIDIA's CoProcManager (which selects between your GPUs to save power) is conflicting with Inner Space. I think I can work around it, though. I will see what I can do about that in the next few days

I started playing around with hooking up my laptop and ran into this exact issue. Is there any sort of update or workaround for it?
<<

GwionBach

Post Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:35 pm

Any luck tracking this one down? I'm running into this as well. Multiboxing is a big part of why I bought my Alienware laptop, so if I can't get this working, I'll have to find other multiboxing software.

Is there anything I can disable on the nVidia side to get this to work ...?
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:41 pm

Unfortunately you would have to disable Optimus, and I'm not sure that's an option. If there is a way to turn that off so that it just permanently uses the NVIDIA GPU and does not run the CoProcManager in the game, then you will avoid this problem. If you find out how, do share :)
<<

GwionBach

Post Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:54 pm

Bleh. I updated my BIOS and my nVidia drivers today, and now I don't even get the crash dialog when I run ISBoxer ... I just get the spinning circle icon when I click on one of my test character sets, and it goes away and I get nothing at all. Arrrgh.
Next

Return to Multiboxing Hardware