FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Launcher crashing

Moderator: MiRai

<<

nightshift

Post Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:44 pm

Launcher crashing

The STO launcher crashes as soon as Engage is hit. Was working fine before the patch of course.

Build 6099.

New STO patch for September 3rd, 2015.

If I can provide more information, please ask.
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:57 pm

Re: Launcher crashing

Working fine here on Windows 10, build 6099 and the latest STO update.

Please provide a "Diagnostics for game crashes" (http://isboxer.com/wiki/Diagnostics) from ISBoxer's Help menu and we'll go from there

Also if you've got a firewall or other security software, a game update might cause it to be treated differently (e.g. as a new program), and if set to silent mode or gaming mode it might not ask if you want to allow it. That has fooled people. :)
<<

nightshift

Post Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:10 pm

I have checked to see if it was a firewall issue, it isn't. The game is up to date and behaves normally outside of Innerspace. I have it where it can launch through Steam, when I am just launching a single copy. It doesn't need to be launched that way and works perfectly fine without Steam.

I do not use Steam when launching through Innerspace.

http://pastebin.com/0rUzNZbk - STO Laucher

If I use Innerspace and choose Default profile, the launcher comes up, I hit Engage, then it crashes. If I use the No Patch profile, it crashes immediately.

This seems more of a game crash than a launcher crash. Providing game diagnostic.

http://pastebin.com/Rg7n4QJs - STO
<<

brekushi

Post Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:36 am

LAX any update on this issue?
<<

bob

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:21 am

In nightshift's case, the first step would be to shut down the Razer in game engine and see if that makes a difference.

Looking for these game hooks are usually the first port of call for identifying issues.
Code:
201.58. C:\Program Files (x86)\Razer\InGameEngine\32bit\rzdspsrv.dll [1.0.12.6401] [Razer, Inc.] [RddUm remote process overlay module]
203.60. C:\Program Files (x86)\Razer\InGameEngine\32bit\RazerHook32.dll [1.0.0.1] [Razer Inc.] [RazerHook]
<<

nightshift

Post Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:28 am

I tried turning off the Razer programs. No luck. There is nothing running now that wasn't running before the latest STO update.

I started systematically shutting down every process one by one and tried launching through Innerspace after each shutdown, each try was a failure.

I created a new windows profile, to make sure it wasn't a profile issue. Still crashes.

It was all working without issue before the latest update to STO.
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:46 am

brekushi wrote:LAX any update on this issue?

If you are also having a problem, it would be wise to provide any information at all because the only person that has reported a problem is nightshift. If there was an update on nightshift's issue, it would be found within this thread.

It was all working without issue before the latest update to STO.

That's the first thing you said and we totally understand that, let's stick to trying to work out the problem though. You're on Windows 10, I'm on Windows 10; you're on 6099 or later, I'm on 6099 or later; I have the latest STO patch, you have the latest STO patch. However, it's crashing for you and not for me, so there is something else besides that information ("it was working before the latest update") that is important to the issue. So far, I cannot reproduce the issue under the same apparent circumstances, and have no technical information on where to begin solving the problem; so what we are trying to do here is find out what is different between us to cause the issue for you and not for me.

I started systematically shutting down every process one by one and tried launching through Innerspace after each shutdown, each try was a failure.

Much quicker just to shut them all down and see if it helped or not. If not, it is a waste of time to shut them down individually. :P

So, you're saying it crashes .... is there a crash report? Any technical details on the crash itself that you can provide? Is it silent and just closes the game window? If there is a crash report or technical details, please provide that for me.

If not, I would probably check the Windows Event Log and see if there's an application error listed for STO. Microsoft's instructions for opening the Event Viewer are "Open Event Viewer by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Security, clicking Administrative Tools, and then double-clicking Event Viewer.‌ Administrator permission required If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.". (You may be able to Win+R and type in "eventvwr") After opening event viewer, expand "Windows Logs" (not "Applications and Services Logs") and click "Application". This should list recent application crashes and other things at the top of the middle area. If there is an entry for the game or launcher from the date/time it failed to launch, select it grab me the XML View under the Details tab at the bottom.

Finally, I understand you say it works to launch directly without Steam. But it shows that E:\Steam\gameoverlayrenderer.dll is loaded in the process; can you try a non-Steam install and see if that changes anything?
<<

nightshift

Post Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:02 am

I reinstalled the OS.

Loaded RealTek Audio Driver, NVidia Graphics Driver, Windows Updates, Chrome.

Reinstalled Innerspace and ISBoxer clean.

Still crashes.

Nothing in the STO logs, there are no logs being updated when the crash happens, nothing in the Event Viewer under Applications.

The crash happens whether the STO launcher is used or not.

The Cryptic Error window is what comes up when the crash happens.

Thank you
<<

bob

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:29 am

Doesn't crash for me, although it is Lax that it needs to crash for, or you will need to dig out information for, because without info as to why it is crashing or the call stack info, and without you shipping your PC to him, it makes it hard to determine what to do next.

You could have a dig in the logs folder (mine is at C:\Program Files (x86)\Star Trek Online_en\Star Trek Online\Live\logs\GameClient, yours may be different), and see if there is anything relevant in those files. The Crash.log would probably be a good starting place.
There are also some logs in the upper folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Star Trek Online_en\ on my installation, that may also contain useful info.

If you can dig out the error report that the Cryptic crash handler is uploading that would be handy; I don't know where that one is stored.
<<

nightshift

Post Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:23 am

bob wrote:Doesn't crash for me, although it is Lax that it needs to crash for, or you will need to dig out information for, because without info as to why it is crashing or the call stack info, and without you shipping your PC to him, it makes it hard to determine what to do next.

You could have a dig in the logs folder (mine is at C:\Program Files (x86)\Star Trek Online_en\Star Trek Online\Live\logs\GameClient, yours may be different), and see if there is anything relevant in those files. The Crash.log would probably be a good starting place.
There are also some logs in the upper folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Star Trek Online_en\ on my installation, that may also contain useful info.

If you can dig out the error report that the Cryptic crash handler is uploading that would be handy; I don't know where that one is stored.

No new logs are created at the time of the crash. I've moved all log files and waited for them to be created when the crash happens, no log files are created.

It was working before the STO patch.

I've installed Windows and STO clean, the STO install has been verified.
Next

Return to Star Trek Online