FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Launcher crashing

Moderator: MiRai

<<

nightshift

Post Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:57 pm

Re: Launcher crashing

Valerian wrote:sfc /scannow from an elevated command prompt? possibly reinstall directx updates to fix missing/corrupt library?

Thank you. I've already gone that route, long ago. System is 100%.
<<

nightshift

Post Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:39 pm

What Process Monitor sees when I try to launch STO through InnerSpace. Filtered to look at InnerSpace only.

http://pastebin.com/K976yca4
<<

bob

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:37 am

I applaud your perseverance. All I can say is, sucks for you.

You've done all the things that we've suggested, and even the ones we haven't, and you still have no joy for STO (or Neverwinter, also a Cryptic Studios product). As it does not crash for Lax and other people, you are just the lucky one who has this particular issue.
With no way to replicate, or much in the way of clues to go on, it makes it damn tricky to determine what to suggest you do next, and while Lax could make code changes to try and help you, he'd have to play eeny meeny miny mo to chose which line of code to change, which would then have a 99.999999% chance of being the wrong thing, and just introduce a bug somewhere else. It could be a hardware fault.

If you want a last ditch.

For starters the Process Monitor log would be better filtered on GameClient.exe, seeing as that is what appears to be crashing.
Secondly you can use procdump.exe (Sysinternals product) to grab a memory dump of the crash and then analyse it with WinDbg or similar to see if you can get a stack trace out of it. Failing that, you can upload it to http://www.osronline.com/page.cfm?name=analyze and it might give you an indication.

For ProcDump, you want the command line similar to
Code:
x:\folder\procdump -accepteula -e -t -ma -l -f "" -w "gameclient.exe" > x:\folder\procdump.log

Run this, then try and start STO via InnerSpace. The log file will contain some detail, and may provide an easy hint as to the failure point, failing that the memory dump will need to be analysed.
If your dump is too big to be analysed, you can try the -mp switch instead of -ma, or remove it completely.
<<

nightshift

Post Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:38 am

bob wrote:I applaud your perseverance. All I can say is, sucks for you.

You've done all the things that we've suggested, and even the ones we haven't, and you still have no joy for STO (or Neverwinter, also a Cryptic Studios product). As it does not crash for Lax and other people, you are just the lucky one who has this particular issue.
With no way to replicate, or much in the way of clues to go on, it makes it damn tricky to determine what to suggest you do next, and while Lax could make code changes to try and help you, he'd have to play eeny meeny miny mo to chose which line of code to change, which would then have a 99.999999% chance of being the wrong thing, and just introduce a bug somewhere else. It could be a hardware fault.

If you want a last ditch.

For starters the Process Monitor log would be better filtered on GameClient.exe, seeing as that is what appears to be crashing.
Secondly you can use procdump.exe (Sysinternals product) to grab a memory dump of the crash and then analyse it with WinDbg or similar to see if you can get a stack trace out of it. Failing that, you can upload it to http://www.osronline.com/page.cfm?name=analyze and it might give you an indication.

For ProcDump, you want the command line similar to
Code:
x:\folder\procdump -accepteula -e -t -ma -l -f "" -w "gameclient.exe" > x:\folder\procdump.log

Run this, then try and start STO via InnerSpace. The log file will contain some detail, and may provide an easy hint as to the failure point, failing that the memory dump will need to be analysed.
If your dump is too big to be analysed, you can try the -mp switch instead of -ma, or remove it completely.

Thank you. I'll work on it.

This has happened before, it's just been a few years. I haven't bothered before to try and get help fixing it as it has always fixed itself long before I had time to work on it. If I can't actually find the issue, then after an update or two with Innerspace and with STO, it will start working again most likely.
<<

nightshift

Post Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:28 pm

<<

bob

Post Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:42 pm

ok, not totally informative, although it does indicate that a debug message should have been output but the gameclient.exe, and this should have turned up in the procdump.log file if you used the command line as per previous.
<<

nightshift

Post Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:50 pm

Sorry, doing too many things at once. Forgot to add the url for the log file.

http://pastebin.com/gNqVjUhe
<<

nightshift

Post Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:07 pm

So, this is strange and good I hope.

I was looking at the profile of Star Trek Online in InnerSpace.

OpenGL, Direct3D8, Direct3D9 were selected. I unchecked them, now it works. If OpenGL is selected it works, if Direct3D8 is selected it works, Direct3D9 fails.

Both OpenGL and Direct3D8 can be selected and it works, but if Direct3D9 is selected, it fails.

STO and Neverwinter both.

All of the other games, show all three selected and work normally.
<<

bob

Post Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:34 pm

Yep, that is weird.
The debug exception from the log and the memory dump indicated a failure to parse the command line?
What program is InnerSpace using to launch STO? Mine is Star Trek Online.exe

Perhaps you could try reinstalling DirectX from https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/downloa ... aspx?id=35
<<

nightshift

Post Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:09 pm

There are two profiles, one is default and the other is no patch.

Default uses Star Trek Online.exe
No Patch uses GameClient.exe

Both were used during testing.

I have been playing using the Default profile with two accounts loaded since I posted earlier and they are running as they should.

DirectX has been checked and rechecked, it passes all tests. It has been installed clean with two different reinstalls of the OS.
PreviousNext

Return to Star Trek Online