FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Launcher crashing

Moderator: MiRai

<<

bob

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:18 pm

Re: Launcher crashing

nightshift wrote:I have been playing using the Default profile with two accounts loaded since I posted earlier and they are running as they should.
Cool. If it works, it works.

nightshift wrote:DirectX has been checked and rechecked, it passes all tests. It has been installed clean with two different reinstalls of the OS.
Correct, an OS install will include the DirectX flavour of the day. Unfortunately that may not include a bunch of shims that a prior DirectX version does, or the "extra special bits", which is why you still needed to install DX9.0c even people using Windows 8, which included DirectX 11 by default.
If you are installing the ISBoxer Bundle from the ISBoxer.com site, then it should be including this download anyway. If you are using the individual installers for InnerSpace and ISBoxer or just copying back the files from a previous install then it wont include the DirectX 9.0c download, so you might be missing something important, like the shims that aren't in your pastes.
But then again you said originally it was working, then it wasn't after an STO update, so presumably you had these to begin with. Clutching at straws really.
<<

nightshift

Post Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:50 pm

The DirectX End-User Runtimes (June 2010) was installed from from the ISBoxer Bundle installer the second time I reloaded the OS, the first time I reloaded the OS, it was installed when STO was reinstalled.
<<

brekushi

Post Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:03 am

nightshift wrote:So, this is strange and good I hope.

I was looking at the profile of Star Trek Online in InnerSpace.

OpenGL, Direct3D8, Direct3D9 were selected. I unchecked them, now it works. If OpenGL is selected it works, if Direct3D8 is selected it works, Direct3D9 fails.

Both OpenGL and Direct3D8 can be selected and it works, but if Direct3D9 is selected, it fails.

STO and Neverwinter both.

All of the other games, show all three selected and work normally.

Same for me no more crashes and sto is being loaded ... i guess you guys figured it out.
For now im NOT using Direct3D9(UNselected) all characters are being loaded and are working as they should.
I will be reading up on any changes to this topic.
Thank you all.
<<

Valerian

ISBoxer Support Team

Post Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:37 pm

This could be a matter of a buggy/unpatched dx9 dll installed with those launchers. You might check to see if they have any dx9 runtimes that are included in the libraries...
<<

nightshift

Post Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:45 pm

Valerian wrote:This could be a matter of a buggy/unpatched dx9 dll installed with those launchers. You might check to see if they have any dx9 runtimes that are included in the libraries...

The DX9 install has been verified in every way possible by any normal means. There are more ways it could be tested, but that is well beyond any testing that should occur.
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:13 am

I just spent a while messing with settings in ISBoxer and in STO trying to get it to behave badly based on not crashing with Direct3D 9 disabled in IS. It's great that you have found a workaround that works for you, but strange that it crashes for you with D3D9 enabled. STO will use D3D11 by default when available so this workaround is perfectly fine for you to use, and for others to use until this is tracked down.

My D3D9 is of course enabled. I tried windowed and fullscreen modes, tried Direct3D 11, 9Ex, and 9 renderer options in the in-game Display tab, tried cheating and putting in the wrong monitor names in ISBoxer's XML to see if that would break it .. Tried setting various proxy options, etc. Fast Launch option in the launcher is nice, don't have to hit Engage anymore. But, I still failed to break it.

nightshift wrote:Sorry, doing too many things at once. Forgot to add the url for the log file.

http://pastebin.com/gNqVjUhe

The log file references a dmp file at the end, which it says it is saving on your desktop. If you can send me one of those (to lax@lavishsoft.com) from a crash with the current STO patch I may be able to work with that.
<<

nightshift

Post Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:56 pm

lax wrote:I just spent a while messing with settings in ISBoxer and in STO trying to get it to behave badly based on not crashing with Direct3D 9 disabled in IS. It's great that you have found a workaround that works for you, but strange that it crashes for you with D3D9 enabled. STO will use D3D11 by default when available so this workaround is perfectly fine for you to use, and for others to use until this is tracked down.

My D3D9 is of course enabled. I tried windowed and fullscreen modes, tried Direct3D 11, 9Ex, and 9 renderer options in the in-game Display tab, tried cheating and putting in the wrong monitor names in ISBoxer's XML to see if that would break it .. Tried setting various proxy options, etc. Fast Launch option in the launcher is nice, don't have to hit Engage anymore. But, I still failed to break it.

nightshift wrote:Sorry, doing too many things at once. Forgot to add the url for the log file.

http://pastebin.com/gNqVjUhe

The log file references a dmp file at the end, which it says it is saving on your desktop. If you can send me one of those (to lax@lavishsoft.com) from a crash with the current STO patch I may be able to work with that.

Files have been sent to your email address from my google account.
<<

lemartes99

Post Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:29 pm

Just adding my 2 cents.

I started experiencing this as well on Neverwinter on Sunday.
Crash right after hitting play - Game works fine without launching through innerspace.

Here is what happened.

Was trying to get a little more performance out of my system.
Updated Geforce Drivers and did a slight overclock. THen the issue started.
Thinking it was the overclock I took it off. Issue still there.

Figured I corrupted something on Windows. - Wanted a clean install anyways - Re-Installed Windows 10. - Same Issue
- Ok I figured I corrupted my neverwinter install (It was on a different drive so didnt get redone with Windows)
- Formatted the Drive and Re-Installed. Same Issue.

The Only left for me is the Geforce Driver - Didnt have time to check that before work. (I installed the newest one with the fresh install.) Will do it when I get home.

-Nightshift - Are you running an Nvidia Card - And did your drivers get updated ?
<<

lemartes99

Post Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:25 pm

Just wanted to confirm that it was the new Nvidia Game Ready driver.
I rolled back to the July release and all is fine again.

Anyone getting the crash in STO / Neverwinter check your driver.
Previous

Return to Star Trek Online