FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

[STO] 2 or less FPS on initial client load screens (possible fix)

Moderator: MiRai

<<

ByDesign

Post Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:48 pm

2 or less FPS on initial client load screens (possible fix)

Once the launcher has stared the first client (and any subsequent client) via the innerspace tool) I never get more than 3FPS. I have gotten past the Delta Rising logo loading screen once when I left it running for 10 minutes and the planet just before character select could be seen. The login will time out before you ever get to the character select screen.

STO Client runs normally if launched normally. (wihtout Innerspace tool)

When in Maximized Windowed mode the client will through a Pixel Shader compile error at the bottom of the loading screen briefly. This only occurs when using innerspace tool to launch the multibox clients.

"Pixel shader compilation failure. (compile error code - E NOTIMPL 0x800040001): Shaders Processed/Dyn/Resolve Msaa 16 Depth D3d9 Depth As Color E0130aD0 9417adb2.Phi"

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.140706-1506)
Processor: AMD FX(tm)-8350 Eight-Core Processor (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz
Memory: 16384MB RAM
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760
Driver Version: 9.18.13.4448 (latest non-beta)
Client running in Maximized Window Mode (still occurs in normal windowed and maximized)

ISBoxer Diagnostics Report: http://pastebin.com/h7fxkhE6

I also removed the older individual client options PERF files so that ISBoxer would make new ones for each of my 5 clients based on the minimal settings I have my primary single client set to. The issue still repros.

And the issues still repro's if you set your graphics prefences to use DX9 instead of 11.

Please note that my set up worked perfectly fine before Delta Rising was released.

I suspect there is a rending issue with the view ports for multi-clients somehow.
Last edited by ByDesign on Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

thoathunter

Post Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:22 am

Re: 2 or less FPS on initial client load screens

I have the same exact results as you with the current Live version of STO (see my thread just prior to yours). Nvidia GTX 770, driver 344.48. Works fine outside InnerSpace, just slows to an unusable crawl when launched as a slot.

Side note to Lax: you mentioned you got past this problem - can you tell us what kind of card (Nvidia or AMD for example) and what driver version you got to work?
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:48 am

Side note to Lax: you mentioned you got past this problem - can you tell us what kind of card (Nvidia or AMD for example) and what driver version you got to work?

Again I didn't really do anything to "get past" it; the game said it reset video options and from then on it just worked. I was running an old driver at the time, but I've since updated and now I'm on 344.48 with a GTX 870M. I'm also using the development build of Inner Space, which you're welcome to try but does not specifically solve any related issues (I've also reverted to the live build and everything still works as expected) -- to try it out, right click IS and select Patcher, tick "Download development (test) patches" and then close and restart Inner Space to let it patch up.

I do have STO in D3D11 mode.

Client running in Maximized Window Mode (still occurs in normal windowed and maximized)

You didn't mention trying Fullscreen mode. For completeness, I would try Fullscreen mode as well. ISBoxer will still force the game into windowed mode, but the game will think it is in fullscreen mode and do a few things differently.

From your Diagnostics, this kind of sticks out to me as potentially important here:
Code:
76. C:\Windows\system32\DXGIDebug.dll

While from my diagnostics:
Code:
83. C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\dxgi.dll

Yours is using the debug DXGI (DirectX Graphics Infrastructure), and mine is using the release DXGI. This could be a pretty significant performance difference. Unless you've specifically enabled the debugging mode, I don't know right off-hand why this would be in use on your system and not mine. Generally to use the debugging either you have to set up an override using the DirectX control panel, or it has to be built into the program to load it, and that's only AFTER having installed the debugging in the first place (e.g. via the Windows SDK).

One other thing that sticks out in your diagnostics:
Code:
34. MultiMon - Process ID: 2204 (C:\Program Files (x86)\MMTaskbar\MultiMon.exe)

Can you try shutting down MultiMon? There have been cases with this and similar tools where game has updated and broken something compatibility-wise between it, the game, and Inner Space.
<<

ByDesign

Post Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:55 pm

1. Full screen mode has the same issue as posted in the OP.
2. removed the dxgidebug.dll (also rebooted), problem persists. (improved loading screen FPS by 1-2FPS still excessively slow.)
3. uninstalled the Mulitmonitor tool, problem persists.
4. Installed Development version of Inner Space tool, problem persists.

Here is the updated diagnostics: http://pastebin.com/BuysDzZr

The pixel shader error i mentioned in the OP also occurs when running the STO client by itself so it appears to not be caused by the Innerspace view ports but may indicate that I may have a bad install. If no other diagnostic suggestions are forth coming I am going to try a fresh install of STO and see if I get the same results.
<<

ByDesign

Post Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:21 pm

Installing a fresh copy of the game didn't fix the issue.

However there is a report of a patch on tribble fixing shader 2.0 and DX9 issues.
<<

bob

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:54 am

ByDesign wrote:2. removed the dxgidebug.dll (also rebooted), problem persists. (improved loading screen FPS by 1-2FPS still excessively slow.)

Windows doesn't allow you to just delete files in the System32 folder. It has a habit of replacing them, as evidenced from your paste. 76. C:\Windows\system32\DXGIDebug.dll

You may not have installed the DirectX SDK specifically, but it certainly has turned up with something else.
<<

ByDesign

Post Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:38 pm

bob wrote:
ByDesign wrote:2. removed the dxgidebug.dll (also rebooted), problem persists. (improved loading screen FPS by 1-2FPS still excessively slow.)

Windows doesn't allow you to just delete files in the System32 folder. It has a habit of replacing them, as evidenced from your paste. 76. C:\Windows\system32\DXGIDebug.dll

You may not have installed the DirectX SDK specifically, but it certainly has turned up with something else.

You can move the actual Dll to a different location on the PC if its not being used (which I did). However this doesn't matter on a hunch I uninstalled my copy of Visual Studio 2012 Express checked for the file and found it gone, and reinstalled it and found it had returned.

So this Dll isn't the issue since my original install of VS was back in July and the Innerspace tool worked fine before the Delta Rising expansion release. I suppose the issue could be the Dll but something changed in the STO client that would make having it an issue.

Either way if they push the shader fix from Tribble to Holodeck during maintenance Oct 30, 2014 this may fix my issue (one could hope). Will report back one way or another after the patch.
<<

ByDesign

Post Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:27 pm

So with the Patch today Oct 30, 2014 did not resolve the issue.

Innerspace tool still has very low FPS on initial loading screens so the problem in the OP is still present.

Is there any other debugging I can run on my client(s) to help illuminate the potential problem?

I have Visual Studio 2012 Express installed if necessary.
<<

ByDesign

Post Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:13 am

Additionally I tried making a single client setup (no additional clients) in order to see if a single client window view port set up would have the same results, which it does.

Whenever the game client tries to render in the view port the FPS eventually goes to below 1FPS while on the Delta Rising loading screen.

And the client behaves normally outside of the Innerspace tool rendering windows.

Update:
I didn't mention before but I uninstalled the Multi-Monitor app for the purpose of this debugging.

Could PhysX versions be a culprit?
<<

thoathunter

Post Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:17 am

I get the same results as you with the October 30th STO Live version. Nvidia 770, 344.48 driver, Windows 7.

I'm planning to try again with a different video card next week and see if that makes any difference.
Next

Return to Star Trek Online