FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

back 5 boxing STO

Moderator: MiRai

<<

mmmbox

Post Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:24 am

back 5 boxing STO

I started 5 boxing STO in august 2011 and had a blast, as my previous posts said it was a bit of a challange since cryptic's engine wasn't all that fond of ISboxer.

But with some workarounds I had a fully functioning setup, it was a blast, i ofc ran it all on elite

Running 5 boxing on elite required patience, STO scales very strange it almost x5 all enemies you had to kill.

ok so some would say this is logical, 1 player, enemies x1, 5 players, enemies x5 but with settings on elite it became a death fest.

I whould have to charge in killing as many as i could before they killed me, rinse repeat and with repair costs this became less then fun so i put the settings down a notch and it became doable :)

Anyway, i am also 4boxing SWTOR but thought i could use some variance.

I setup all accounts on one PC tweeked with the graphics, my main has all maxed (AA is zero tho, dont need it), on my slaves i have textures on max but everything else on min.

Framerate is at steady 60 on my overclocked i5 with gtx590 and 12mb of memory, my screen is a 30" 2560x1600 so its pretty impressive how smoth things run all things considered.

today is time to setup my hotbuttons since I learned some new tricks with virtual key mapping in ISboxer which i think will work splendid in STO, time to test.
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:35 am

Re: back 5 boxing STO

Nice :)

Would definitely be cool to see some fresh screenshots and/or video from this game! :P
<<

mmmbox

Post Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:46 pm

my key binds are pretty much done.

I have one button i pretty much put all offensive abilities in, and one where i put all defensive in.

Since i am still levelling and haven't yet gotten to a point where i can make one ship/char the tank (comes at captain lvl 30 when you get "threat" skill) this way is the best.

the way i do battle is that with all offensive abilities i weaken the enemies to a point where the incoming DPS is manageable, once i have taken enough dmg to warrant defensive abilities my offensive skills will have recycled (most of them) and then its rinse repeat.

always take out smaller enemies 1st, with a 5 box team i usually encounter 2-3 battleships and 4-7 smaller ships, the smaller ships don't survive long but they still do considerable dmg.

There is more to it then above ofc but overall this is how I do it.

Now a few questions to you Lax if you know.

Why is STO such a malign game to use with ISboxer?

reason for this questions is that i encounter number is issues while playing which i have no explanation for.

- the mouse will randomly stop working inside any game window, you can move it but clicking is disabled
- game windows will lock the mouse inside it (ie you cant move outside the game windows)
- edit* this is most likely my fault, i didnt add my sto key map to be turned on off when i click. The hot key on off button doesn't work, once you start key binds will be on
- the hot key on off button (including frame rate) will randomly disappear and reappear, its like a power point presentation where you have layers and depending on which layer you are in the game it will reappear, this most likely has to do with the way the game UI works.

all things considered its still possible to have a enjoyable session of boxing STO.

You just have to figure out the do's and don't like with any other game, the difference here is its so random i am at the point where if i dont spin my ships clockwise 5 times the game might crash (a joke btw).

Imo this game is better then SWTOR and i enjoy swtor as well i guess its the epic space combat that got me, given this game has improved immensely since its rather poor launch
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:46 pm

Why is STO such a malign game to use with ISboxer?

It has a different design internally than most of the other games I've tested ISBoxer with. Except, say, Champions Online. For example, one simple difference is that its input handling thread is different than its rendering thread. Freezing issues with both STO and CO were directly related to this difference.

- the mouse will randomly stop working inside any game window, you can move it but clicking is disabled

I need to get more testing in to determine the cause of this bug, I noticed this too

- game windows will lock the mouse inside it (ie you cant move outside the game windows)

There's an option in your Character Set to prevent the game from doing this

- edit* this is most likely my fault, i didnt add my sto key map to be turned on off when i click. The hot key on off button doesn't work, once you start key binds will be on

Your edit is correct. FAQ: I added a new Key Map but the Key Maps toggle does not disable it?

- the hot key on off button (including frame rate) will randomly disappear and reappear, its like a power point presentation where you have layers and depending on which layer you are in the game it will reappear, this most likely has to do with the way the game UI works.

Yes, this is a bug in Inner Space relating to the way the game's UI works. You can watch the Inner Space GUI (with any ISBoxer widgets) peel into view as the loading progress bar goes from left to right ;) I have a hunch as to why it happens, just have not had the time to work on this specific issue yet. (Lots of things to work on!)

I'll see what I can do, definitely appreciate the feedback
<<

mmmbox

Post Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:50 am

STO doesn't seem to like resource sharing, i find that using troubleshooting mode in the video setup makes it more stable.

It even states that hard setting the amount of vid mem in the video settings being used is recomended if you run multiple sessions of STO.

I have a 3gb vid card so allocating 512mb still give me quite high graphics setting in each of the 5 windows.

About the mouse locking in the game windows, I understand there is a setting to on/off this, but it always happen right after the mouse has stopped working in one window, perhaps a connection and also why i mentioned it, its nothing i activate i just happens right after mouse stops functioning in one window.

I would recommend anyone boxing STO to work with graphics settings because STO seems to have very limited controll how it uses the hw, it feels like FFA which i guess is fine when you run one session but when you run 5 you need to keep the game in check.

in STO limit the game to 30 FPS 512 or less vid mem, 30 fps is fine i experience no stuttering or what not, and then i work from there cranking up my settings and as long as you dont experience any stuttering (remember to wait 10-15 secs since the game update settings on the go as you modify them which ofc will give you a bit of lag as the game updates.)

out of the box recomended settings will kill your PC running 5 accounts because it uses AA etc which you do not want when running in windowed mode, hence doing what i said above can to some extent give you better graphic experience with all the nice looking textures you want keeping your chars and ship from looking like blocks in all windows.

Return to Star Trek Online