Post Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:42 pm

Re: main window freeze

Thank you, these details should make it easier to duplicate
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:02 am

Is this freezing only a problem in space now?

I'm wandering around the newbie area killing drones with 2 characters, using Key Maps, using Repeater with both mouse and keyboard, switching windows with instant swapping etc, and NOT getting anything I could describe as a crash or a freeze. I also let my 3 year old play with it for a few minutes, just in case. ;)

I HAVE seen these issues:
* When STO progress bars, in particular, are rendering (like the loading screen bar) Inner Space rendering is cut off (to the right-most side of the progress, filling in to the right as the progress bar fills up)
* I've gotten the mouse to stop responding
<<

KensanSTO

Post Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:43 pm

In my case, I'm 3 boxing the game and using it on ground combat. The crash looks intermittent to me, usually after a couple of hours playing, one of the client windows will freeze. I've also encountered the mouse going unresponsive too but I could just use the keyboard to play it on ground. Is there a built in error log in IS I can use so I can give you something more than just my experience of intermittent freezing?
<<

sladet99

Post Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:50 pm

I started four boxing STO in the last three days and I have put about 15 hours or so, with what I think is a very simple set of keymaps. I am passing 0-9 through and using mouse and keyboard repeating for much of the UI operations. Definitely simpler than my WOW setup.

Looking through this thread I thought I would lend my observations to help. The problems I have seen in that time are mouse unresponsiveness on the character I play as the main. Two times last night that same character client locked up, I am not sure if it was when not the focus or it went to the background when bringing another client to focus. This is the first time in the last three days that occurred.

I also experience infrequent client crashes to desktop, typically these occur when transitioning between maps, but it has happened in the middle of a mission or two. I am skeptical that this is due to ISBoxer and not my PC that is at fault. I am going to try a second STO install and split my four between the two installs to see what that does.

I am also curious if there is an error log that I could provide info to help out. At any rate I appreciate you looking into the issues, I am glad I took a shot and resubbed my ISBoxer account. Boxing STO has turned out to be enjoyable.

Please let me know if I can provide more information.
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:27 pm

It definitely sounds like the freezing problem that still happens right now is related to switching windows, and it doesn't happen every time so it may take some time to happen. I'm told it usually works fine for a few hours at a time at this point, with build 5529.

So, how is it that you guys are switching windows, very specifically? Clicking on the game window area? Alt+Tab? Clicking taskbar icon? You might have to just play naturally and watch what you see yourself doing to answer this ;)

As far as an error log in this situation, no what's really needed is a snapshot (minidump) of the frozen process. I could probably set something up in ISBoxer that you could click and select the frozen one to generate this for me; I'll look into it.
<<

Bengalaas

Post Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:50 pm

Thanks Lax! I haven't had a chance to try anything out since Saturday, but I'll try to provide as much detail as I can when the crashes occur. A few things that I thought that I'd point out:

My current setup is either 2 or 3 boxing (when dual boxing, I load the 3 boxing profile, and then just exit out of the last instance of STO that loads).

I currently have it setup so that each client loads off of a different profile, hence a different executable. With this setup, I cannot recall any incidents of the slaves freezing or crashing. What I do get is the main window freezing, and then Windows throwing up an error saying that gameclient.exe has stopped responding. Its always for the main, and does not seem to be related to window swapping. It is almost always (perhaps even always) locking up during key presses. These has occured regardless of whether or not keymaps are enabled. I have not played any ground maps for an extended length of time with this setup, so I cannot confirm if my issues are space only, or both space and ground. I will test this when I get a chance.

The other setup that I have tried was having all 3 clients load off of the same executable. I will admit that I have not tried this setup since you released 5529. When running this setup, I would occasionaly experience slave windows locking up (not "crashing" per se, as no windows error would pop up, and I'd have to task manager -> kill it to put it out of it's misery.) This has occured on both space and ground.

Hope it helps, and thanks for your continued assistance with this! Like SladeT99 and KensanSTO, let me know what files can be sent, or screen shots you would need, to help you figure this out!
<<

sladet99

Post Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:34 pm

I do a combination of clicking the window or the item on the taskbar.

However, after a marathon set of STO boxing this weekend, at least ten hours, I had only one client freeze. I am on the official build released sometime last week. In fact I think the client is more stable now than with the test build.

I submit that my issues are resolved and I run all my clients off the same STO install. Thanks Lax
Previous

Return to Star Trek Online