FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Rare problem in Innerspace?

Moderator: MiRai

<<

bollwerk

Post Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:01 pm

Rare problem in Innerspace?

I've been using Innerspace / ISBoxer for about 4-5 months now and had this problem happen for the 2nd time last night, so it's not a critical issue. Still very frustrating when it happens though.

When I was switching windows, all of a sudden my 5th window "vanished". The WoW instance was still running in the task manager and when I move my cursor to the task bar and hover over the 5 wow icons I can see miniature versions of windows 1-4 and a "squished" version of window 5. It looked like window 5 was about 1/3 to 1/4 of the normal height. I could not click on it or switch focus to it. When I press the ISBoxer key combination for that window the cursor changes to a "normal" arrow, as though the desktop is the focus. The only way to fix this is to force terminate the instance of wow in the task manager, but since I can't tell which is which, it is safest to kill everything, re-start everything and re-login. Unfortunately, I was about 2 minutes away from getting credit for winning Tol Barad, so it wasn't a good time for this to happen.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Windows 7 x64
Intel Core 2 Q6600
8GB RAM
Nvidia GTX 280
<<

Ualaa

Grandmaster Guidesmith

Post Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:21 pm

Re: Rare problem in Innerspace?

I've never seen that myself.

You could go to the individual window.
And once it has focus, use Alt + F4 to terminate that window.
Pretty sure you won't have that set as a mapped key that is broadcast.

Then re-launch your character set.
Which will only launch the missing window.

A work-around, not a fix or preventative measure.
Not sure what is causing this.
Streaming in 720p HD: www.twitch.tv/ualaa
<<

tanker

Post Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:27 pm

Ive seen a similar problem in Lotro, but generally the window is underneath one of the others. If I rotate around the window (using hotkeys) the main window eventually comes back to it's proper slot. Have you tried swapping the windows around using keypresses yet?
<<

Berserker

Post Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:41 am

I'm seeing something similar in Rift nowadays, except instead of the window vanishing, the entire window goes black. The only fix is to quit, and restart, and frequently it seems I need to quit IS too in order to successfully launch the character set after this occurs.
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:27 am

The original issue described in this thread is (mostly) fixed, and was related to Minimizing the window and the inability to un-minimize (restore) it hence its disappearance.

Now, it seems, there may still be a way to get the issue to partially happen (I'm not sure exactly how to reproduce, so feel free to share the steps!). The window can appear in its non-minimized position, while actually being minimized still. When the game is minimized, no rendering is done and that might be why it would appear black. With the current build of Inner Space, if this happens, you SHOULD be able to manually Restore the window -- such as by clicking on it in the task bar in Windows.
<<

Berserker

Post Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:16 pm

Next time it happens, I'll try clicking in the task bar.
<<

Berserker

Post Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:19 pm

This just happened to me again, and I tried to maximize the window from Windows 7's bar -- no joy.

I made a thread about this, and SLI earlier. Please see: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1133.
<<

Berserker

Post Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:35 am

BTW, how do I get ISB to update? Is it pushed with IS?

TIA!
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:20 am

Don't MAXIMIZE the window, you want to RESTORE it ;) If the restore option isn't available, that's interesting though. This is definitely something I will keep working on, just trying to collect infomation about the issue -- a step by step on how to easily reproduce the problem would be ideal.

There's 2 kinds of ISBoxer updates, ninja and pushed.
* Ninja updates don't get pushed out to everyone, they sit there and hide and wait to pounce on unsuspecting ISBoxers. If it's a ninja update, you usually just re-download. To help people check their version against ninja updates, I'm adding an About box in ISBoxer with revision info.
* If it's a pushed update, this is when you get an update notice when you restart ISBoxer and upgrading at that point is still optional. Pushed updates always come with a major (i.e. ISBoxer 38) or minor version number (i.e. ISBoxer 38 Minor Update #2) change.
<<

Berserker

Post Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:09 pm

lax wrote:Don't MAXIMIZE the window, you want to RESTORE it ;) If the restore option isn't available, that's interesting though. This is definitely something I will keep working on, just trying to collect infomation about the issue -- a step by step on how to easily reproduce the problem would be ideal.

There's 2 kinds of ISBoxer updates, ninja and pushed.
* Ninja updates don't get pushed out to everyone, they sit there and hide and wait to pounce on unsuspecting ISBoxers. If it's a ninja update, you usually just re-download. To help people check their version against ninja updates, I'm adding an About box in ISBoxer with revision info.
* If it's a pushed update, this is when you get an update notice when you restart ISBoxer and upgrading at that point is still optional. Pushed updates always come with a major (i.e. ISBoxer 38) or minor version number (i.e. ISBoxer 38 Minor Update #2) change.

Unfortunately this appears to be very intermittent. It always happens on swapping from my main window to another (via a mapped key -- not previous or next, but the mapped key assigned to switch directly to a character slot) -- most often, it seems to be my #3 toon in a 4 slot set. Once it happens to one, 4 or 2 may follow if I switch to it. It ussually occurs when after I've been playing an hour or so, and when I'm swapping quickly to grab a hard to repeat-to item or something.

I now have the ninja update with the about box for ISB.

(More info and screen shots from in the other thread)

Return to General discussion