FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

active window black screen after long idle time

Moderator: MiRai

<<

morwic

Post Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:38 am

active window black screen after long idle time

My setup is normally working fine, and has been for months.

However I've recently encountered a rather odd intermittent problem/symptom/glitch, and I was just wondering if anyone knows what might be happening.

I have a window layout with a large active region in the upper left of my screen, and 8 smaller windows on the side and underneath the active region. The 8 smaller regions are homes for my 8 accounts. Fast swapping is enabled.

Recently I have encountered a black screen when I activate one of the windows that has been inactive for several hours. The game is still running and rendering correctly in the small home window when I switch to another to take that session out of the active window. Once a session gets in this state, it stays that way: I can switch it in and out of active region and it stays black in the active region but renders correctly in its home region. Once I had 3 slots acting that way, a few times it has been only a single slot that was affected.

If I exit the game in an affected slot and reload from scratch, it then works normally. But I have not found a way to restart the active region rendering for that slot without closing it out completely and re-launching.

I've only seen this happen when a slot has been running for several hours without ever being switched to the active region.

It isn't a big problem... doesn't happen often, does not affect game play so long as I don't really need to activate the "stuck" slot, and is easy enough to fix if I have to.

But does anyone have any ideas about this?
<<

morwic

Post Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:06 am

Re: active window black screen after long idle time

This is still happening with some frequency. I'll have a box that is rendering fine in its small home region for hours. Then I try to flip it to active and see a blank black screen.

The session is still active. It responds to keyboard input if I type blindly into the black screen. If I activate another window, it goes back to rendering properly in its home region.

But I have not found a way to re-start active region rendering for this session. So far, if I really want to see that character in full size, the only solution I have found is to /camp desktop (typed blindly), then relaunch that character. Then things work normally for an indefinite time.

How does a slot forget how to render in the active region, while still working normally in all other respects?

Is there anything I can do to find out what is actually happening here? To provide more information to support a possible fix?
<<

bob

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:50 am

There has been a couple of reports of some of the recent driver updates causing issues similar to this. Perhaps roll back your graphics driver if you have updated it recently.
<<

morwic

Post Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:04 pm

Haven't changed drivers in a couple years :(

Return to General discussion