FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

ISBoxer 2?

Moderator: MiRai

<<

morwic

Post Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:55 am

ISBoxer 2?

Is ISBoxer 2 available? Or is there an expected timeframe for its release? Somehow I seem to have missed the information on it.
<<

bob

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:38 am

Re: ISBoxer 2?

If you select your forum account (the User Control Panel at the top there), and then select the Usergroups on the menu on the left, you should be able to apply for any groups which are visible (I don't know if the Alpha Group is visible, but other than Lax adding you directly, that would be one way to get the initial request in - you could ask via IRC too).

Once you are a member of this, then it will open up the Alpha forum to you.
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:01 pm

I split this from the original thread, hope you don't mind. I suspect this would have quickly overtaken the original topic.

ISBoxer 2 is currently in Alpha with a small number of outside testers.

I'm still working on completing some important features (including multiple computers), so it is not ready yet for most people to switch to using it permanently. As I get more of them ready for use, I'll be expanding the Alpha to include more testers (currently on an invite basis) before calling it Beta and giving it to everyone in the Beta Testers usergroup here (which any ISBoxer user can follow the instructions to join). That should be happening over the next few months, depending on what else pops up. I would for sure be interested in your feedback during the Alpha when I am working on finishing the multiple computer implementation and the flexibility of the launching system.

MiRai has released a couple of teaser videos:
We'll have more information, screenshots, videos, etc coming soon.

Finally, to answer other important questions: Like ISBoxer 1, ISBoxer 2 is free software for Inner Space, meaning that you do not need to make any separate payments if you already have a subscription for Inner Space. Subsequently, ISBoxer 1 will continue to be functional (and will get maintenance/fixes, new games added, etc) and I am sure some people will keep using it.
<<

morwic

Post Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:15 am

Edit: replaced by subsequent post.
Last edited by morwic on Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

morwic

Post Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:48 am

(This version should be clearer. My mistake in the first one was to suggest associating a slot with each character, which is what I am doing in my current cumbersome workaround. But the only purpose of that was to accomplish indirectly the association of ACCOUNTS with dedicated slots, and that is what should really be done.)

I have no idea how ISBoxer 2 is being designed. I'm hopeful that it will support the kind of deployment scheme I've developed, without the artificiality of my array of static character sets and without the need for kludged external scripts.

You can do that by allowing specification of a slot number associated with each account.

The character set should allow you to name a computer for each included character in the set.

Then a Character Set would again become a grouping of characters to be launched together, as it is currently intended.

The fixed account-to-slot mapping means that multiple character sets can be launched, and there will be no slot conflicts except those enforced by the game.
Characters on a previously loaded account will replace their alts, characters on different accounts will be loaded into new slots.

I'm assuming that all the games have a limitation of one character loaded per account. If that's not the case we could define a more inclusive solution.

Ideally, you have already come up with something that will give similar flexibility.

Return to General discussion