FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

ISBoxer will not start

Moderator: MiRai

<<

alerius

Post Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:31 pm

ISBoxer will not start

I've downloaded ISBoxer and run the install, leaving all presets for location and install files as default. Inner Space starts fine. I've added RIFT to Inner Space, still no problem. ISBoxer Suite refuses to cooperate. I turned UAC back on to see if that was somehow related. Nope, get prompted, then nothing happens. I've read the stickied forum message about what to do if ISBoxer doesn't start (last updated 2011? wow) I've checked my .NET and directX installs. All seem fine. I'm running Windows 7, fully patched.

Next steps? Since I used ISBoxer a couple of years ago to play EQ a free 7 days was not an option. I've paid for 90 days to test it now with Rift.

I'm open to suggestion on what else I can try here.
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:00 pm

Re: ISBoxer will not start

Since I used ISBoxer a couple of years ago to play EQ a free 7 days was not an option.

The first trials were given in August 2010 actually :)

I've read the stickied forum message about what to do if ISBoxer doesn't start (last updated 2011? wow)

Yeah, funny how some posts don't really need updating. If ISBoxer doesn't start the info hasn't changed

I've checked my .NET and directX installs. All seem fine. I'm running Windows 7, fully patched.

.NET 3.5 with SP1 is pretty much the only thing that matters for launching ISBoxer Toolkit. You "checked" your .NET install, how did you do that? You might need to uninstall and reinstall or run the .NET repair tool.

.. and .. NOTHING happens? No error? Do you have antivirus or something that might be blocking it with no message?
<<

alerius

Post Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:23 pm

lax wrote:
Since I used ISBoxer a couple of years ago to play EQ a free 7 days was not an option.

The first trials were given in August 2010 actually :)

I've read the stickied forum message about what to do if ISBoxer doesn't start (last updated 2011? wow)

Yeah, funny how some posts don't really need updating. If ISBoxer doesn't start the info hasn't

I've checked my .NET and directX installs. All seem fine. I'm running Windows 7, fully patched.

.NET 3.5 with SP1 is pretty much the only thing that matters for launching ISBoxer Toolkit. You "checked" your .NET install, how did you do that? You might need to uninstall and reinstall or run the .NET repair tool.

.. and .. NOTHING happens? No error? Do you have antivirus or something that might be blocking it with no message?

Um yes, and I first paid for inner space/isboxer in 2004. Took the 7 day freebie in 2012 when I started playing again. Hence, why I could not take a 7 day free trial now with a new start.

I checked my .NET by turning off Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1 and rebooting. Then turning it back on and rebooting. Then reinstalling the software.

I've turned off anti-virus to test - no change.

And no, NOTHING happens. I get a momentary change of my mouse icon to 'busy' and then nothing. With UAC enabled, I get prompted to all it, then nothing.
<<

bob

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:08 am

You can't "turn off" antivirus. You can disable it, but that still leaves it's filter driver running, which is injected/inserted into the Windows Kernel. It also means that AV can still interfere with any software that still needs to do things like, load from disk read/write to memory, send data via the network stack, etc. The only way to "turn off" antivirus to determine if it is causing an issue is to uninstall it.

ANYWAY, why don't you post a diagnostic http://isboxer.com/wiki/Diagnostics and we'll see if there are any obvious contenders as to why it wont work.
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:24 am

Um yes, and I first paid for inner space/isboxer in 2004. Took the 7 day freebie in 2012 when I started playing again. Hence, why I could not take a 7 day free trial now with a new start.

Right, ok, I misunderstood the first read through

I checked my .NET by turning off Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1 and rebooting. Then turning it back on and rebooting. Then reinstalling the software.

I've turned off anti-virus to test - no change.

And no, NOTHING happens. I get a momentary change of my mouse icon to 'busy' and then nothing. With UAC enabled, I get prompted to all it, then nothing.

I assume you're not clicking No.

I would probably check the Windows Event Log and see if there's an application error listed for ISBoxer Toolkit. Microsoft's instructions for opening the Event Viewer are "Open Event Viewer by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Security, clicking Administrative Tools, and then double-clicking Event Viewer.‌ Administrator permission required If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.". (You may be able to Win+R and type in "eventvwr") After opening event viewer, expand "Windows Logs" (not "Applications and Services Logs") and click "Application". This should list recent application crashes and other things at the top of the middle area. If there is an entry for ISBoxer Toolkit (should say that under Source) from the date/time you tried to run it, select it grab me the XML View under the Details tab at the bottom. That should hopefully point us in some direction.

ANYWAY, why don't you post a diagnostic http://isboxer.com/wiki/Diagnostics and we'll see if there are any obvious contenders as to why it wont work.

He can't open ISBoxer Toolkit to get to it :)
<<

alerius

Post Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:01 pm

No entry in the event viewer for ISboxer
<<

bob

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:36 pm

It might be worthwhile having a scan in the Application, Security and System logs for anything to do with the .NET framework around the times you have attempted to run ISBoxer.

Running the .NET Repair tool may be useful too as Lax suggested. Unticking the reticking does not always fix corruption or the security config.
In fact, if you know whether any of the security config settings have changed, then it may be worth removing those files and then running the repair tool.
http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download ... x?id=30135

In lieu of a diagnostic (yep, I was a moon and didn't read the FP properly), how about opening a command prompt as Admin, (Start - All Programs -> Accessories -> Command Prompt, right click on this, select Run As Administrator), then from the command line run "wmic process list > c:\plist.txt". Then in Windows, goto Computer, Local Disk (C:), grab the plist.txt and attach it here.

If you are familiar with the Windows Registry, you can always have a look at the following two keys and remove any entries related to ISBoxer Toolkit.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers
<<

MiRai

Vibrant Videographer

Post Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:37 pm

lax wrote:

He can't open ISBoxer Toolkit to get to it :)

Time for Plan B.

Return to General discussion