FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

7 days not nearly long enough

Moderator: MiRai

<<

Lewis128

Post Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:10 pm

7 days not nearly long enough

Sorry, but a 7 day free trial is not nearly enough to get a basic team going. Not for someone with a full time job.
Not as long as there is so much to learn just to get even the most basic 2-box team going.
Most of day 1 was spent downloading a second game client for SWTOR. Why? I don't know. But it takes several hours.
Add having to work 12 hour shifts, and my "7 day free trial" is actually 2 days, at best.

Now add a complex program I have to learn from scratch because NOTHING is preset, NOTHING!
I did finally manage to get two characters logged in and grouped...
Toon 1 runs, toon 2 runs... THE OTHER WAY!

Yea, it's been a royal pain in the ass. Now I'm trying to download the update for account 2, and it's "repairing" 35 files. WTF!?!?
I'm not paying $50 for software that only CS majors living with their parents have the time and energy to decipher.
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:41 pm

Re: 7 days not nearly long enough

... ooookay. My reply is probably not going to make you much happier, but when you come in with this attitude you must be expecting this kind of response...

Sorry to hear that you're upset about your life and 12 hour shifts, but this is your first post and I haven't seen you ask for help, you're just coming in with guns blazing. 7 days is more than enough time to get up and running (actually other than downloading the game client, it should take you 30 minutes tops). If you don't get it running in that time and don't want to buy it, then don't buy it, it's as simple as that...

Most of day 1 was spent downloading a second game client for SWTOR. Why? I don't know. But it takes several hours.

You only need one game client. ISBoxer disables the streaming (via BitRaider) of the game client, because multiboxing is not particularly compatible with the streaming option. So yes, it does make you complete the download before playing. That's a SWTOR thing, if you played a different game your experience with that would be different.

Now add a complex program I have to learn from scratch because NOTHING is preset, NOTHING!

NOTHING!

Except for what is preset, like the 1 through = keys, and the assist and following if you configured it through the Quick Setup Wizard. Did you follow the [url=http://isboxer.com/wiki/Quick_Start_Guide_41]Quick Start Guide[/quote]? There's even videos.

What else needs to be preset exactly? The presets cover basic gameplay for every MMORPG.

FAQ: Why do my toons move in different directions?

Now I'm trying to download the update for account 2, and it's "repairing" 35 files. WTF!?!?

You only need one client, and because you only need one client they should have the same updates...
<<

Lewis128

Post Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:09 pm

sorry, it insisted on downloading the game a second time when I logged in on the second account, even though I already had a full download. Now it's trying to download the updates from tuesday and thursday, again, even though it already downloaded them once when I logged in on just my main account.
I don't know why, it did it automatically. If it's not supposed to do that, I don't know how to turn it off.
It doesn't seen to effect the original, I canceled it mid update and logged into my main account via the swtor icon with no issues.
Sorry for not asking for help sooner but it seemed silly to ask without trying to muddle through the guides and videos.

I did manage to get it to work, sort of, saturday. They would cooperate ever-so-briefly then it's ADHD "Oh Look! a quarter!" time.
It just takes time, and trial and error before I get it right. And obviously, if it's insisting on downloading a seperate client for each log in, I did something wrong. Although it did work, sort of.
<<

tjrgsa

Post Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:31 pm

Lewis128 wrote:Sorry, but a 7 day free trial is not nearly enough to get a basic team going. Not for someone with a full time job.
Not as long as there is so much to learn just to get even the most basic 2-box team going.
Add having to work 12 hour shifts, and my "7 day free trial" is actually 2 days, at best.

Yea, it's been a royal pain in the ass. Now I'm trying to download the update for account 2, and it's "repairing" 35 files. WTF!?!?
I'm not paying $50 for software that only CS majors living with their parents have the time and energy to decipher.

Wow man that is something lol. Here's a tip, no one cares about your 12 hour shifts. 7 days is more than enough to get a feel for the software. If things at work are real busy, then do what I did and put the trial off until you know you'll have time to tinker with it. The intent isn't for you to be multi-boxing with 100% efficiency, but to let you do enough where you can decide whether the software is worth purchasing or not. Besides, if you came in and just posted "Can I get a few more days on the trial?" it wouldn't surprise me if they did just that.

And there's a wizard for just about everything, did you even read any of the tutorials or documentation? It sounds like you're looking for something basic that you can understand within 5 minutes of installing, IS ain't it. You'll find programs like that out there, but they're not full-featured. Other programs I've used have worked, but each was lacking something in one way or another. ISBoxer has everything, well worth the learning curve that comes with it.
<<

Lewis128

Post Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:25 am

tjrgsa wrote:Wow man that is something lol. Here's a tip, no one cares about your 12 hour shifts. 7 days is more than enough to get a feel for the software. If things at work are real busy, then do what I did and put the trial off until you know you'll have time to tinker with it. The intent isn't for you to be multi-boxing with 100% efficiency, but to let you do enough where you can decide whether the software is worth purchasing or not. Besides, if you came in and just posted "Can I get a few more days on the trial?" it wouldn't surprise me if they did just that.

And there's a wizard for just about everything, did you even read any of the tutorials or documentation? It sounds like you're looking for something basic that you can understand within 5 minutes of installing, IS ain't it. You'll find programs like that out there, but they're not full-featured. Other programs I've used have worked, but each was lacking something in one way or another. ISBoxer has everything, well worth the learning curve that comes with it.

Didn't really ask for the attitude.

Of course I read the tutorials. I certainly wasn't expecting 100% efficiency OR to fully understand "within 5 minutes" .
It would have been nice after several hours of trial and error to at least be able to manage a two man team on a starting planet.
If you aren't willing to help, fine. The gist of your entire post can be summed up with "no one cares". I've been around long enough to know when people start off with that attitude it doesn't matter how politely you ask.
<<

theukmoog

Post Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:10 am

Lewis128 wrote:Didn't really ask for the attitude.
Yes you did, with the whole tone of your OP!!!

Lewis128 wrote:I've been around long enough to know when people start off with that attitude it doesn't matter how politely you ask.
If you'd have asked politely you might have had a very different response!

If you read through this forum and dualboxing, you'll see no end of happy, satisfied users who managed to get to grips with ISBoxer by following the plethora of guides (both text and video) or came into one of these forums and asked polite and meaningful questions and got the help they were looking for!

Lewis128 wrote:I'm not paying $50 for software that only CS majors living with their parents have the time and energy to decipher.
That just isn't even worthy of a response!

10/10 for the trolling effort, though!
RIFT - 5-boxing | EVE - 0-boxing... CCP go DIAF!
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:35 am

Alright guys, ganging up on him isn't doing anyone any favors here

Granted, we don't really know what he's hung up on at the moment...

Lewis128, if your second character is patching SWTOR differently than the first, then it sounds like you have created more than one "Game" and/or "Game Profile" for SWTOR in Inner Space, and assigned them to different Characters during the wizard? They should both be using the same Game and Game Profile. To check this, select each of your Characters in the top left pane in ISBoxer, and look at the "Game" and "Game Profile" drop-down boxes. They should be the same for both, so they will both use the same SWTOR install.
<<

Lewis128

Post Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:58 am

lax wrote:Alright guys, ganging up on him isn't doing anyone any favors here

Granted, we don't really know what he's hung up on at the moment...

Lewis128, if your second character is patching SWTOR differently than the first, then it sounds like you have created more than one "Game" and/or "Game Profile" for SWTOR in Inner Space, and assigned them to different Characters during the wizard? They should both be using the same Game and Game Profile. To check this, select each of your Characters in the top left pane in ISBoxer, and look at the "Game" and "Game Profile" drop-down boxes. They should be the same for both, so they will both use the same SWTOR install.

Thanks.
It sounds like that may have been the issue, and being brand new to this, I didn't even know it was a problem, much less know what to look for to resolve it. All the guides and tutorials in the world are of little help if you don't know what question to ask. Hence the frustration.
I had already stumbled across what I believe to be the solution to the follow/assist problem but couldn't get logged in to work the issue. (more frustration)
I had somehow managed to log in once, so I went looking for answers to sort out what i had done to foul it up. I found something about adding "-nobitraider" to the paramater line of the game profile.
Multiple attempts, even double checking I spelled it right. Still getting errors trying to download this weeks updates. (possibly because it was trying to over-write?) so more frustration.
And by this time, of course, it's day 7, and I really can't ask for help with a problem until I know it IS a problem.

So yea, my first post was a bit more frustration-venting than asking for help. And I do appreciate your effort to help me figure it out, Lax.
I'm sorry, this seems, based on what I've been able to learn about it, to be the most versatile program out there. And apparently the only viable option for SWTOR that I've been able to find.
But this is a hobby for me. Not something I want piling on more stress, and the welcoming committee made it more than abundantly clear I'm not welcome.
If they had held off and let you, the admin, handle the situation, things would be very different.
I attempted to PM you rather than posting here, but there it is.
Sorry to bother you.

Return to General discussion