FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

[Request!] Menus / Click Bars

Moderator: MiRai

<<

MiRai

Vibrant Videographer

Post Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:22 am

[Request!] Menus / Click Bars

While I have mentioned these to Lax in both the IRC channel and PMs, I figured that I would toss them out into the wild to make it more formal. Honestly, I'm only looking at Menus when I mention these suggestions, but because they may also apply to Click Bars, I added them into the title of the thread. I've been out of the update loop for a few weeks since I've been semi-busy, so I do apologize if any of this stuff has been added since then. ;)

Modifier + Click - Give users the ability to allow for different Actions when clicking a Menu button (specifically left/right) and holding down a modifier key.

Example: At the moment, I have those large numbers in the upper-left of my game windows. They act as a toggle for enabling/disabling Key Maps. I would like to be able to Shift+LeftClick this Menu button and have it swap around my virtualization to something different (from normal Key Maps > Vehicle Combat).

Mouseover Actions - The best way I can describe this is...

I currently have a key combo to bring up a radial Menu. While holding down the key combo, I would like to be able to hover over a button, release the key combo, and have the button fire off.

This feature request is inspired by OPie -- The WoW add-on which inspired radial menus. ;)

Z-Order - Giving users access to the order in which Menus are "stacked" in z-space. "Z-Order" might also be known as "Frame Strata" to those who are familiar with WoW add-ons / Lua.

Anchor Point - At the moment, I believe all frames are anchored from the top-left. Being able to adjust the anchor point wouldn't add much to the functionality of anything, and is more-or-less just for convenience when doing math and trying to figure out a different point when you need to center an image or place it along the right-hand side of the window, etc.

(This list is in order of importance to me :))

EDIT: Changed from [Suggestion] to [Request!]
<<

MiRai

Vibrant Videographer

Post Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:43 pm

Re: [Request!] Menus / Click Bars

Lax I'd like to know if these are possibilities or not (minus the z-order since it's now implemented). Mouseover Actions & Modifier + Click are on the top of my request list! :)
<<

Azorel

Post Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:31 pm

I for one, haven't made the switch to menu for this reason. Click bar imo are far more useful for the ability to use and for easy to build. Using Virtual Click bars like fireresuce shows in his example. I have 12 button main click bar, with sub menus. All buttons are right clickable, and if I want another layer, i could add another shift 12 to every meny with 12 button pushes. tho 12 x 12 = 144 button with one lay meny click bar system is enough for me.
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:35 am

Modifier + Click - Give users the ability to allow for different Actions when clicking a Menu button (specifically left/right) and holding down a modifier key.

Example: At the moment, I have those large numbers in the upper-left of my game windows. They act as a toggle for enabling/disabling Key Maps. I would like to be able to Shift+LeftClick this Menu button and have it swap around my virtualization to something different (from normal Key Maps > Vehicle Combat).

I don't really see this happening. The other thread mentions what other people are doing which is switching menus or buttons based on the modifier (or some other key) you're holding. The reason I don't see this happening is because it doesn't fit in line with the simplified Menu behaviors (e.g. Hotkeys mapping directly to the same thing as clicking); if I made it fit, then Menus won't be simplified in this way anymore.

However, I could add a sort of branching Action which can choose to do another Action or not based on whether a particular key is down (or potentially some other factor), and that would give you the capability you're asking for...

I currently have a key combo to bring up a radial Menu. While holding down the key combo, I would like to be able to hover over a button, release the key combo, and have the button fire off.

This feature request is inspired by OPie -- The WoW add-on which inspired radial menus. ;)

Do you really need mouseover actions to do this? I mean, it can be built into radial menu support instead. If it's not a radial menu, then it can be done with a custom XML template.

Z-Order - Giving users access to the order in which Menus are "stacked" in z-space. "Z-Order" might also be known as "Frame Strata" to those who are familiar with WoW add-ons / Lua.

This is limited by the GUI system implementation in Inner Space (LavishGUI). When you click on a window, that window is brought to the front of its Z-order class, which is basically the same as Windows -- "Always on top" and "Not always on top". I could give you a checkbox to choose which one your Menu is in, but I don't know if this accomplishes what you're trying to do or not. (Also note that custom XML templates can already do this.)

Anchor Point - At the moment, I believe all frames are anchored from the top-left. Being able to adjust the anchor point wouldn't add much to the functionality of anything, and is more-or-less just for convenience when doing math and trying to figure out a different point when you need to center an image or place it along the right-hand side of the window, etc.

This is probably doable..
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:06 pm

lax wrote:

Do you really need mouseover actions to do this? I mean, it can be built into radial menu support instead. If it's not a radial menu, then it can be done with a custom XML template.

On second thought, maybe a "Do Menu Button Action" (along the lines of Do Mapped Key Action) which can be set either to do a specific button, or whatever one the mouse is over?

Assuming you have a Mapped Key set up for the Radial Menu toggle, you would set it to "pressed OR released" and in Step 2 have a Do Menu Button Action. So holding it would pop open the menu, and letting go should use the button and hide the menu (maybe needing a Menu State Action also to close it in the case where you don't mouse over a button).

I think we discussed this idea briefly before. I'm going with this for now.
<<

Skarling

Post Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:21 pm

lax wrote:
However, I could add a sort of branching Action which can choose to do another Action or not based on whether a particular key is down (or potentially some other factor), and that would give you the capability you're asking for

This is a definite improvement over default behaviour. It does not include right-click functionality, but its a huge step forward nevertheless. The method of applying menu sub-sets on modifier hold-down action sometimes hangs certain games making them irresponsive to inputs (no idea why that happens, but the only way to "unhang" the game is to click chat line and then click any menu button. weird but fact).
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:48 pm

This is a definite improvement over default behaviour. It does not include right-click functionality, but its a huge step forward nevertheless. The method of applying menu sub-sets on modifier hold-down action sometimes hangs certain games making them irresponsive to inputs (no idea why that happens, but the only way to "unhang" the game is to click chat line and then click any menu button. weird but fact).

The reason is probably because you're breaking the modifier by using it as a Hotkey. It would be better to use any other button ;)
<<

Skarling

Post Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:56 pm

lax wrote:
The reason is probably because you're breaking the modifier by using it as a Hotkey. It would be better to use any other button ;)

I thought as much, but it is tempting to use Ctrl as both hotkey and modifier

EDIT: wait a second, what do you mean by "modifier"? I dont use FTL anywhere (even in WoW I rely on Jamba to handle that). I can admit I dont even understand usage of mods in FTL. I always relied on Target {CHARACTERSET} Slot {SLOT} functions. Are saying that because Ctrl is being used by ISBoxer as a modifyer key in some pre-set FTLs it may interfere with my using Ctrl as hotkey for Menu Style Action?
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:19 pm

Skarling wrote:
I thought as much, but it is tempting to use Ctrl as both hotkey and modifier

EDIT: wait a second, what do you mean by "modifier"? I dont use FTL anywhere (even in WoW I rely on Jamba to handle that). I can admit I dont even understand usage of mods in FTL. I always relied on Target {CHARACTERSET} Slot {SLOT} functions. Are saying that because Ctrl is being used by ISBoxer as a modifyer key in some pre-set FTLs it may interfere with my using Ctrl as hotkey for Menu Style Action?

This has nothing to do with FTL (you said FTL not me), and what I mean by modifier is Ctrl, Alt, or Shift. If you use Ctrl, Alt, or Shift as the Hotkey (as opposed to your Hotkey being Shift+X, for example) for a Mapped Key, it will break the modifier.
<<

Skarling

Post Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:36 pm

ok.. sorry for misunderstanding. now I am confused. in my mapped keys Ctrl keyboard key is being used only once - to apply new subset menu on press and return menu to default state on release. I dont use any Ctrl+keys as hotkeys anywhere in keymaps. when sub-set menu is applied on Ctrl press I assume it ignores anything but a click on a button. It does work, and works well. However as I said, sometimes, especially when something else is going on - like dps spam button is being pressed down repeatedly, pressing Ctrl and clicking menu button results in denial of input (as I described above). I have been trying to track down the origin ever since I have created my first sub-menu.
Next

Return to General discussion