FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Wow - mage "moves" to follow mid cast

Moderator: MiRai

<<

sterger7

Post Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:08 pm

Wow - mage "moves" to follow mid cast

So...1 of many issues I'm finding testing this out.

I have a warrior and a mage. If i click 1 to have the mage start casting frostbolt on a target the warrior is targeting and the warrior charges or 'moves' into attack, it actually cancels the mage's casting to "follow" the warrior in closer....

kind of defeats the purpose doesn't it?
<<

MiRai

Vibrant Videographer

Post Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:44 pm

Re: Wow - mage "moves" to follow mid cast

sterger7 wrote:So...1 of many issues I'm finding testing this out.

I have a warrior and a mage. If i click 1 to have the mage start casting frostbolt on a target the warrior is targeting and the warrior charges or 'moves' into attack, it actually cancels the mage's casting to "follow" the warrior in closer....

kind of defeats the purpose doesn't it?

Perhaps you should break follow before casting so that the Mage doesn't follow the Warrior into melee range?
<<

sterger7

Post Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:38 pm

*face palm*

sounds like a f ton of keystrokes
Last edited by sterger7 on Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

MiRai

Vibrant Videographer

Post Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:25 pm

sterger7 wrote:*face palm*

if I wanted to hit that many key strokes and macros I wouldn't be boxing

My apologies, I didn't realize we were already at the maximum amount of keys you wanted to press.

I'm not sure where the notion of playing multiple characters requiring less keystrokes comes from, but, generally, if you want a character to do something—anything—it's going to require the press of a key. So, if one of your characters is on follow, then how do you propose that they stop/break follow? I imagine every solution is going to be either writing more macros or pressing an additional key, and given that it sounds like you don't want to do either of those, where does that leave us?
<<

sterger7

Post Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:28 am

so yer saying what...I have to..."charge the target"...which...I shoudl what..set that to make my mage move somehow to stop following. then cast a spell, (he's now out of range possibly? Probably not) then possibly..after every fight, hit alt-f to re-follow
I assume i fi put a mcro to /follow (charname) AND cast frostbolt for example, it'll move forward again and not work cuz it always wants to hump the leg. So I'll have to wait until ever fight is finished to hit a follow key again right. I thought I was reading that 'moving to target' if it was out of range was part of casting a spell but that doesn't seem to be the case. bigger problems is I can't get interact to work yet anyway so I guess I"ll scrap all this until I figure that part out.
<<

sterger7

Post Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:57 am

Ok, first things fixed, got the damned interact to work.

now I have to figure out a sane way to cast frostbolts at a target without the warrior' messing up the mage.

if yer out of range with frostbolt will the iso boxer 'move' the mage closer until it's in range? (ie to solve the issue of you having to turn follow off every time you attack something but maybe yer not in range of a spell)

maybe I can combine my "follow" to interact with target or to right clicking a corpse to make the mage refollow every time...hmm there must be an easy way to handle all of this.
<<

Wizeowel

Post Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:13 pm

Casting breaks follow. Sending the IWT key doesn't interrupt casting. You shouldn't be sending any follow action during combat or indeed you will interrupt spells.

My "DPS" key for example effectively only sends /assist {FTL} ; turns on click-to-move ; sends the IWT key ; and then whatever action buttons each class needs. It's single button spam and the melee toons move in, while mages, locks and priest stand at range. This is how quick setup configures it, if you choose auto-assist and auto-IWT.

Follow should just be a separate button, which you press after combat to regroup the team. Don't add it to any IWT action.
<<

sterger7

Post Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:25 pm

Ugh, I appreciate the explanation, you make it sound like it's possible to make it setup correctly it just sonds complicated as all hell.

so interact with target doesn't interupt casting... dont send follows during combat (is it possible to do a follow action on a 'right' click? aka, after i've "looted" the corpse, the process of looting would turn follow on for the other computers? That would make things easy

As far as your DPS key you lost me. I understand that it "assists" the mainc omputer, turns on click to move, and interacts with target, then for example casts the frostbolt. What I don't understand is how to set that up.

First, if you "interact with target' on the same macro yer casting a frostbolt...what's that do, just move into range and cast as soon as it is? or does it go all the way to melee then cast? If I get that working I'm sure i could set that to the same key as my main computer using something like charge or intercept and make the mage cast frostbolt, just tricky setup.

You said this is how quick setup configures it, which I used, but I have to choose auto assist and auto IWT, is that something I just toggle on that previously is not on? I"ll try to find some video or instructino if so.
<<

Wizeowel

Post Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:54 am

It's not complicated, but it can seem be complex when it's all new concepts to learn. Just forget your assumptions and dive into this new world.

For the moment just make F your follow key, and ctrl-F your loot key (a.k.a "Auto-Interact With Target Active Method") and later you can think of strategies how to not have to press it. There are addons like EMA which will strobe follow under certain conditions.

I really recommend starting a whole new setup, and follow MiRai's Pro system videos. He explains it visually much better than I can type it here.

https://youtu.be/iqHaH4gbrmo

In the end you will be able to make for yourself a system where you basically are just pressing a few keys for a whole mixed team. For example, I just did Grim Batol and I was essentially pressing only 1 to pull, spam 2 to dps, 3 to heal, 4 to interrupt, ctrl-F to loot and F to refollow. My toons are not doing top dps (except the hunter who is faceroll), but I'm able to kill bosses and get to the end of the dungeon. Admittedly there's a bit more to it, but that has come with time and experience.

Return to General