FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

How to open more than 1 client

Moderator: MiRai

<<

blueberads

Post Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:32 am

How to open more than 1 client

So i've been trying to multibox on a new game called warmonger but you can only open 1 client per computer. Is there anyway to bypass that?
<<

MiRai

Vibrant Videographer

Post Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:20 am

Re: How to open more than 1 client

I will copy and paste what bob said in another thread:

Find what is determining whether it is running already, and make a virtual file for it.

Most of the time it is handled by a mutex. You can find these by using a tool such as Process Explorer (you should run this as Admin), selecting the game process and pressing CTRL+H to view the handles. Scroll down until you find the mutants/semaphores. The most likely one will be a mutant (semaphores controlling game instances are rare). Be aware that there are some mutants that are used anyway, so most programs will already have 3 or 4 of these. The trick is to figure out which ones are the standard ones . Standard windows mutexes are usually named with like \sessions\1\BaseNamedObjects\[xxxxxxxxxx]. You are looking for something that is not a session mutex. Sometimes they are obviously named with the game developer/publisher/game name.

If it happens to be detecting an existing process by executable name, that means you'd need two copies of the executable. This is also fairly rare though.

To make a Virtual File, use the Wizard (on the Wizards menu item).
Virtual File Wzard, select Other, enter the name of the mutex (you should only need the bit after the last \), Hit next, select the characters you want to apply it to, hit OK (or Finish).
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:51 am

The official answer in this kind of case is simply that I usually need to take a look.

Every game is different as far as how this works and there is no guarantee those instructions will be fruitful. If someone really wants to give it a go on their own, sure there is a chance it can be done and a handful of games can be sandboxed that way. I do not recommend most people attempt it.
<<

blueberads

Post Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:11 am

MiRai wrote:I will copy and paste what bob said in another thread:

Find what is determining whether it is running already, and make a virtual file for it.

Most of the time it is handled by a mutex. You can find these by using a tool such as Process Explorer (you should run this as Admin), selecting the game process and pressing CTRL+H to view the handles. Scroll down until you find the mutants/semaphores. The most likely one will be a mutant (semaphores controlling game instances are rare). Be aware that there are some mutants that are used anyway, so most programs will already have 3 or 4 of these. The trick is to figure out which ones are the standard ones . Standard windows mutexes are usually named with like \sessions\1\BaseNamedObjects\[xxxxxxxxxx]. You are looking for something that is not a session mutex. Sometimes they are obviously named with the game developer/publisher/game name.

If it happens to be detecting an existing process by executable name, that means you'd need two copies of the executable. This is also fairly rare though.

To make a Virtual File, use the Wizard (on the Wizards menu item).
Virtual File Wzard, select Other, enter the name of the mutex (you should only need the bit after the last \), Hit next, select the characters you want to apply it to, hit OK (or Finish).

Thank you

Return to General