FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Trying Making Lineage 2 Work ..

Moderator: MiRai

<<

Antolmant

Post Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:08 pm

Re: Trying Making Lineage 2 Work ..

MiRai wrote:
Antolmant wrote:I..made it to work , but not on official server , but on private server(s).

It works because private servers wouldn't be running an anti-cheat/hack program along with their client. Programs like Frost and GameGuard don't exist on the private server game client.

Antolmant wrote:I still stand that its an easy fix within InnerSpace to make it work on official server too.

Based on what exactly? Don't you think that if it was an easy fix, then Lax would have "fixed" it years ago since L2 has been around for over a decade?

Wrong. At least in EU Classic Server. It has nothing to do with Frost. The game is not working because of "core.dll" , which , as far as I understand, has something to do with Net Framework or something. Core.dll has nothing in common with Frost nor GameGuard.

Your point was valid if I would've successfully made InnerSpace to work on every private server , but I didn't and on some of them I receive the same error as on official one ( Core.dll problem ) . And since no private server is using GameGuard , I stand that InnerSpace is not working not because of Frost nor Gameguard, but because of core.dll , which .. making a track to see what exactly is cause the error and what core.dll is trying to access and it can't ... might give you clues about how to make a fix.
<<

bob

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:42 pm

Re: Trying Making Lineage 2 Work ..

While we appreciate your tenacity, I suspect you are incorrect.
Core.dll is not a .NET file. A search of my system (I have a shit-ton of development environments installed, including many .NET versions) for anything like it (*core.dll) gives me a large list, but nothing that is named "core.dll". Plenty of .NET framework files are named System.core.dll or Presentation.Core.dll or similar, and many others like it. You might be potentially thinking of mscoree.dll, which is the .NET loader for .NET executables. It is used to determine which version of the .NET framework to load for a .NET application.

Anyway, back to your problem at hand.

The error code c0000096 is a Hardware error, and it is STATUS_PRIVILEGED_INSTRUCTION. The "simple version of the error is

STATUS_PRIVILEGED_INSTRUCTION:Executing an instruction not allowed in current machine mode.

I know that this exception is thrown by the CPU itself (it's a Hardware exception). It means an application tried to execute a CPU instruction it is not allowed to e.g. execute a Kernel Instruction (Ring 0) from User Mode (Ring 3).

So we're at the point were some code was running that tried to execute a CPU instruction it wasn't supposed to. There's three possibilities:
• memory was corrupted; the software wasn't written to try to execute that code, but that's what just ended up in RAM (e.g. a Pointer is wrong).
• it really is buggy software, and it tried to do something it's not allowed.
• You have some kind of security software which has installed a filter driver and/or is remapping various Kernel routines to prevent other software from doing the same.

Now, if we look up the User Agreement of Lineage2 EU Classic, to see what it says, it gives us the following information about Frost.
Lineage2 EU Classic TOS wrote:3.5. In the course of the Services provision Innova uses Frost software as a technical facility for copyright protection of game developer (Right holder) and Innova. Frost is intended to protect fair game, honest Users, Game balance as well as intellectual property rights. The purposes of Frost are:
— prevention and elimination of unfair play and fraudulent game (dishonest Users take advantages form third-party software: bot programs, cheat programs, etc.);
— ensuring the integrity of the games and protection against hacker attacks, the use of third party software, and other unauthorized activities in the Game, protection of the Right holder legitimate interests, e.g. intellectual property rights;
— collection of statistical information for future developments and improvements of Frost and Game.

Innova uses Frost software as a part of the Game Client. The User cannot get an access to the game if the Frost software is deleted or modified.

Frost works in the similar way as anti-virus or anti-spy software.

My suspicion is, based on the description of what Frost does, and how they describe it working in a similar way to Antivirus/Antispyware, that it is Frost which is preventing you from loading Lineage2 with InnerSpace, because it is doing exactly what it is programmed to do. Prevent you from having third party software from loading itself into the game process.

Now, while they do not specifically ban multiboxing in their TOS (not many MMO's do), they are using active measures that will probably prevent it (i.e. Frost), then it is unlikely that it will be looked into for compatibility with InnerSpace. Working around software such as Gameguard/Hackshield/XignCode/Frost etc, is not worth it. It take much time, it is a cat and mouse game, and when it gets detected, it just gets people banned, which just gets them all annoyed, and then the grief comes back this way because users got caught cheating. We don't want the grief.

p.s. It is possible that the error code is being generated by Data Execution Prevention (DEP). You could disable this if you want. It might change something, it might not.
Previous

Return to General