FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

New monitor/resizing a DxNothing window

Moderator: MiRai

<<

MiRai

Vibrant Videographer

Post Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:52 pm

Re: New monitor/resizing a DxNothing window

I was going to edit my reply, but you beat me to getting back to the thread...

With that hardware, you might be able to play at a reduced resolution. So, if you're okay with playing at something like 1280x720, or maybe (maybe) 1440x900, you might be able to run a few clients at that resolution.
<<

tatanka7th

Post Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:49 am

OK, I may do that in the meantime, but assuming I do want to run at 1920x1080 (which is what I was doing with the old card I mentioned, the R7 260X), what stats do I look for at that site you linked, to know it will be enough?

Or, can you recommend a card that you think will fit the bill?

Thanks!
<<

MiRai

Vibrant Videographer

Post Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:22 am

Look at the "Relative Performance" list. You can scroll down it to see how other GPUs compare to the current GPU you're looking at. For example, the R9 270X, which was released about 4 years ago in 2013, is a step up from your older R7 260X (they don't have that in the list), and it's > 200% better than the R7 450.

In my experience, I would never recommend a GPU that wasn't considered to be comparable to one of the "top three" GPUs of either the current of prior generation. Usually that means the GPU ends in x90, x80, x70, or, as a last resort, an x60. Everything below that is usually re-branded from generations prior, sometimes several.
<<

tatanka7th

Post Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:52 am

I did find the R7 260X in the database, so was able to compare it. I based it on the lowest entry in the list (the GeForce 210). The current card (R7 450) was 100% to the 210s 9%. My old R7 260X was 100% to the 210s 6%, so that was the basis for me saying that the old card was 50% more powerful than the current card.

I was more curious about the actual stats shown at the site, such as pixel rate, texture rate, etc. But I guess the relative performance takes those into account. When comparing the two cards just mentioned, looking at those two stats, along with FLOPs, seems to indicate those may be some of the main stats used to calculate relative performance.

I am expanding my search right now. I had looked at Best Buy and Tiger Direct, but their selections seemed to be all based around the same few chipsets, so a lot of the ones shown on the relative performance, which would be adequate to the task, weren't offered. Expanding to look at Amazon and New Egg.

I do have another question. Some of the cards I looked at were listed as PCI 3.0 x4 or x8. My old card, and current card, are PCI x16. I assume bigger numbers are better, and give better performance. Any comment on that part?

Thanks!
<<

MiRai

Vibrant Videographer

Post Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:25 pm

tatanka7th wrote:I do have another question. Some of the cards I looked at were listed as PCI 3.0 x4 or x8. My old card, and current card, are PCI x16. I assume bigger numbers are better, and give better performance. Any comment on that part?

It's not necessarily that the bigger the number, the better performance because of the way PCIe lanes can be distributed on the motherboard, but any modern day GPU that is going to be worth your time is going to be PCIe 16x (every GPU today days is 3.0).
<<

tatanka7th

Post Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:19 pm

bob wrote:So there is nothing obvious poking out in the diagnostic.

That said, this looks like an HP machine, and my experience with HP desktop machines tells me they are usually not the greatest performers. I don't know what they do with their desktop motherboards that makes them so crappy, but they usually are (servers they can build though). Personal feelings aside, your problem may be:

1. other software, such as the HP utility stuff, McAfee, intel pef security service
2. AMD graphics (a recent issue has been noted - this may not apply to EQ)
3. General crappiness of HP hardware (yup personal opinion here, so maybe not too much stock can be attributed to this one)

So for the first, you would need to uninstall the other bits to test (if it's wrong put them back).
For the second, an InnerSpace update will be coming, so either wait, or try rolling back to an older driver
For the third. A little hardware monitoring probably wouldn't go astray to determine if the CPU or GPU are pegging out, or RAM is high usage, or even a lot of Disk I/O is going on. That kind of thing.

Well, couldn't get anything to work, so waiting on the InnerSpace update mentioned here. My problem now is, my ISB sub ran out, so I'm not renewing it til this is patched. However, I can't find where on this site the patches are listed, so that I'll know when the patch is available (and I can then re-sub). Can anyone point me to where the patches are shown on this site?

Thanks!
<<

bob

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:27 pm

http://www.lavishsoft.com/release/innerspace/all
and the AMD fix was in 6244.

However, as your issues went beyond just Inner Space and games (i.e. you said other stuff locked up too after closing IS/Game windows), then chances are your issue is a bit more fundamental to the system.
Previous

Return to General