FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

New monitor/resizing a DxNothing window

Moderator: MiRai

<<

tatanka7th

Post Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:26 am

Re: New monitor/resizing a DxNothing window

OK, I set up all my VideoFX in the GUI, so likely no "actions" are configured.

I do have two hot keys configured which 1) turn off all videoFX windows, and 2) turn them back on.

These are used mainly when I want to have one char make changes to a hotbar which is covered by a click-through area, so that, normally, I can click the same button on a hotbar for all chars at the same time. I turn off videoFX, make the hotbar changes, and then turn them back on. That's the only toolkit reference I have to videoFX.
<<

tatanka7th

Post Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:35 am

So I brought up one client, and the DxNothing window. Everything was fine. Once I brought up the second client, that's when I got all the video freezes and resets. The weird thing is, once I exit all of the EQ/ISB windows after these freezes, Firefox is locked up, and also has to be killed/restarted.
<<

tatanka7th

Post Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:13 pm

I ran the diagnostic tool: https://pastebin.com/AEydXGAB

Per instructions, I was just running one EQ client, and not through ISB, just through the launcher.
<<

bob

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:27 pm

So there is nothing obvious poking out in the diagnostic.

That said, this looks like an HP machine, and my experience with HP desktop machines tells me they are usually not the greatest performers. I don't know what they do with their desktop motherboards that makes them so crappy, but they usually are (servers they can build though). Personal feelings aside, your problem may be:

1. other software, such as the HP utility stuff, McAfee, intel pef security service
2. AMD graphics (a recent issue has been noted - this may not apply to EQ)
3. General crappiness of HP hardware (yup personal opinion here, so maybe not too much stock can be attributed to this one)

So for the first, you would need to uninstall the other bits to test (if it's wrong put them back).
For the second, an InnerSpace update will be coming, so either wait, or try rolling back to an older driver
For the third. A little hardware monitoring probably wouldn't go astray to determine if the CPU or GPU are pegging out, or RAM is high usage, or even a lot of Disk I/O is going on. That kind of thing.
<<

tatanka7th

Post Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:41 pm

Thanks, Bob, I'll start playing around with it.
<<

tatanka7th

Post Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:35 pm

I went into config and set frame rate to 30 foreground/10 background for all windows. Just opened 2 clients, and no DxNothing window. Issue happened immediately. I had Task manager perf running, CPU never went over 10%, memory was at ~7G out of 16G. When video resets after the freeze, you can actually see the monitor show what input is activating, so it's a complete reset by the video card.

Hopefully, it's issue #2, and the upcoming patch will help. I'll keep playing around, but at this point, I don't think it's a config issue.
<<

MiRai

Vibrant Videographer

Post Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:21 pm

What GPU is in this system? We know it's an AMD GPU, but what model number, specifically.
<<

tatanka7th

Post Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:10 pm

It's a Radeon RX 550, 4GB Ram, per the AMD Radeon tool that's installed.

According to the outside of the box, it's a Radeon R7-450, 2GB, so not sure why the memory shows as 4GB on the Radeon tool.
<<

MiRai

Vibrant Videographer

Post Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:31 pm

Okay, I had a feeling that the GPU was probably an issue, and I'm going to say that it is the issue. That GPU is about as powerful as a brand new GPU from over six years ago (early 2011). With that said, I'm going to conclude that the GPU is just not powerful enough to do what you want.

It's a bit confusing, though, since the 450 and 550 are two different GPUs. The 550 is better, but it doesn't seem like a whole lot more (i.e. not in the multiboxing range).
<<

tatanka7th

Post Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:44 pm

Wow, pretty surprising for a new PC, but it was a steal, and my old PC had croaked, so I grabbed the best deal I could. I'll try another video card.

Thanks!

Could you recommend either cards you like, or what stats I should look for on cards, to know they will be up to the task.

The most surprising is that I ran ISB with 3 clients 4 years ago on a card that was 2 years old then, and it worked. Surprised this won't even start up!

I just grabbed the card from my old system, it an R7 260X, which, according to that site you linked, is about 50% more powerful than the current card, so hoping I don't have to go too much more expensive to get the job done.
Last edited by tatanka7th on Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PreviousNext

Return to General