FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Isboxer Suite issue

Moderator: MiRai

<<

Xylith

Post Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:47 pm

Isboxer Suite issue

Isboxer/Innerspace was working fine yesterday. Started up PC today, launched Innerspace and started getting errors.

Innerspace will launch but isboxer suite will not function.

I've been using innerspace off and on for years, and currently have it running on my main pc just fine.

Here are some images of what errors I am seeing

I even did a complete windows reinstall, game install, innerspace install. Getting same issue. --- Hardware related? maybe windows updated issue?

<<

bob

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:09 am

Re: Isboxer Suite issue

So, looking at the first error, it is trying to call out to a Webservice, and in the meantime, this requires .NET to load up an assembly, and it is getting a COM error when attempting to do so. The second error is probably just a symptom of the first, although I would be interested to know if the file it is looking for actually exists, e.g. E:\game\InnerSpace\InnerSpace.xml (I suspect it does, because the second error ends up being the same as the first!).

With your reinstall of Windows, your game, InnerSpace and ISBoxer, what else went on??.

The first error, is actually saying it cannot load a .NET file (System.Configuration), but it then goes on to indicate that the calling convention is incorrect. As the location of the call is near the Windows Kernel then it is highly likely to be something injecting itself into the core of Windows. The error is a little hard to explain if you are not into C++/C programming, but essentially the manner in which the Stack and CPU registers are being set, is not as expected for the call being made to the loadlibrary method (a bit of creative licence as to what is actually being called here).

My first port of call for stuff like this would be
  1. Antivirus
  2. bad drivers
  3. some kind of corruption - seeing as it is consistant after a reinstall, then maybe a full on memory failure?)
  4. missing some vital Windows components (although I don't think you would have got as far as you did if this was the case)
  5. some kind of malware/rootkit
  6. debug/checked builds of Windows?
  7. hacking tools of various kinds
  8. dodgy Windows versions from the back of a truck
<<

Xylith

Post Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:23 pm

Bob, thanks again you are very helpful.

the file it is looking for does exist.

I reinstalled windows, chrome, downloaded .net 3.5 and isboxer/innerspace all fresh

1. - no antivirus
2. could be a driver issue - something changed from when it was working on Sunday to it not working Monday
3. I will do a memtest
4. could be, but I think unlikley due to fresh install having same issue
5. did complete fresh install and this computer has no additional software on it
6. Legit windows

I'll keep checking
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:58 pm

You say you had to download .Net 3.5, what version of Windows are you using? (Windows 10 has a check box to enable the feature on demand.) Have you then installed the service packs for .NET 3.5?

System.Configuration -- which it says it is unable to load in both of your screenshots -- is part of the base .NET install. I can't imagine why it would fail like this on a clean install of Windows and a clean .NET install.
<<

bob

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:59 am

Lax has a good point. If you download the .NET 3.5 installer from MS, it fails to install on Win10.

This is the tickbox for me in Windows 10. I used the Control Panel to get to it rather than the crappy Apps/Features path in the Win10 Settings.

You probably wont need the Windows Communication Foundation items (I need them for work purposes).

Having a quick look at my Window 7 SP1 machine. There is an option on that one too in the Control Panel, which looks fairly similar.
<<

Xylith

Post Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:35 pm

I'm using windows 10. I'm not sure why I downloaded .net 3.5, but you are correct, I didn't need to. I think I downloaded it after reading somewhere about the 0x80131239 error being related to .net

To clarify - After my clean install before trying to reinstall 3.5 I was still getting this issue.

I'm sorry for the confusion. I'm normally a pretty tech savvy person, but this has me pulling my hair out
<<

Xylith

Post Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:09 pm

After thinking about those last couple of posts thinking about it, I must have done a "keep windows file" in place re-install and not a complete reinstall.

I just wiped my drives and did a 100% fresh reinstall and I no longer have the issue. Sorry for wasting everyone's time and thank you.

Still no idea what caused the issue.

Return to General