FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

hiyas ... Crossfire ( sorta ) question .. 5870 or 5970

Moderator: MiRai

<<

trushot

Post Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:04 pm

hiyas ... Crossfire ( sorta ) question .. 5870 or 5970

LAX ... I had read on on eof these posts somewhere i thougth that you stated that crossfire / sli was not as good as single cards but i cannot remember where i read it or if i read it right ...

if i remember that right can you hellp me decide on a new card for my new rig

Ill get a 5870 single GPU if you say its best for boxing with isboxer but was wondering if the 4 gig 5970 counted as a single card for isboxer purposes since it has two GPUs on one card

im going to be ordering my new system soon any help would be appreciated on which will perform better with isboxer a 5870 or 5970

I will be using two monitors one for my main charater and one for 5 slaves if this matters or makes crossfire a better choice somehow
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:36 am

Re: hiyas ... Crossfire ( sorta ) question .. 5870 or 5970

The two GPUs on the 5970 are linked via Crossfire. You can apparently flash the BIOS on the 2nd card with the Master's BIOS to get them to operate independently, but I'm not sure how good of an idea that is.

I talked to a guy with a 5970 quite a bit about 7 months ago, one of the threads is here: http://www.dual-boxing.com/showthread.php?t=30074. He found that the Crossfire support did not help at all - the first GPU would be pegged at 100% and the second wouldn't be doing much. Crossfire and SLI are designed for playing one instance of a game with extra power, and at least one of the two only works in Full Screen mode (which is an exclusive thing, only one program can be in Full Screen mode). Neither of them are useful for multiboxing on the same PC.

Anyway, I don't recommend getting the 5970 because you have to flash the second GPU with a different BIOS to make the 5970 useful without Crossfire (which is not useful for multiboxing). Unless they specifically support doing that now.

You can use multiple video cards, but most people are completely clueless as to what kind of problems that actually introduces. Changes I'm making for ISBoxer 38 should help a bit. But basically, if you use multiple video cards for multiboxing, you are probably going to run into performance drops before you run into performance gains. The crossfire/SLI thing is the first one. Then there's the thing where if you move a game window from a monitor on one card to a monitor on the other, your FPS drops to like 1 until you move it back. To avoid it, the game needs to be told which monitor to host the game with and then it needs to stay on that card the whole time (on windows XP, you can't even move it between monitors on the same card). If it's told the wrong monitor, it'll be slow right from the start just like it's been moved to the wrong monitor (because it has). And then there's the monitor selection not being in the expected order sometimes, so people think they picked the right one but find out from trial and error that they didn't.

Higher performance can be had from two cards running instances separately on different monitors (kinda like adding more CPU cores) but frankly, it's much easier if you only have one video card. With ISBoxer 37 you'll either have to disable window swapping to use multiple monitors, or manually adjust the swapping behavior to swap on a per monitor basis (there's a thread where I explain how to do that with some Mapped Keys, but it's not something I'd recommend every new guy who wants to use multiple monitors should try to follow...). With ISBoxer 38, I am currently developing a revamped Window Layout editor, which will specifically address some of the issues with using multiple video cards. It will offer built-in support for per-monitor window swapping, and it should automatically select the correct monitor for the game. The wizard should also have some additional choices for Window Layout styles with multiple video cards.

So in short... if you want good performance and have it easy to get, use one powerful video card (without a second one linked by SLI/Crossfire). If you want better performance, you can use multiple video cards with multiple monitors, but you will have to give up swapping windows into the same main area and depending on how complicated you want to get, it's going to be more complicated to get it working. I run all my 5-man WoW teams on a single GPU, currently a 5870 in my laptop but my desktop has an nvidia 8800 GTX. It had two, but I removed one because I don't use it and I like being able to swap all of my windows into the same main area without a performance penalty. I typically get 40-60 fps on the main window (limited to 60 max) and I limit them at 15 in the background.
<<

trushot

Post Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:00 pm

Re: hiyas ... Crossfire ( sorta ) question .. 5870 or 5970

okay lex i think im feeling ya ... heh ( im so not very techie ) but im intelligent so i can figure stuff out when i want to ...

so what im getting from you is anythign beyond a 5870 is a waste for multiboxing atm ... with that said let me please give you my goals and you let me know what you think i should do ...

GOAL:
multibox LOTRO with 6 accounts ( lotro is a lot more intensive on hardware than wow imho )

i want the Main character to have ALL grqaphics turned ALL the way up on a 30 inch Apple monitor ..... the 5 slaves i do not care what they are on graphically
i am not sure a single 5870 will be up to the task of this ...

here is system im ordering and you tell me if you think it will do it or not ... if not i think ill play on two machines one for slaves and one for main so i can enjoy the graphical awesomesuace that lotro is turned all the way up on main character

system thinking of ordering for lotro to play on one PC if pissible to meet goal:

MB........................... ASUS P6X58D Premium LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
proc......................... Intel Core i7-980X Extreme Edition Gulftown 3.33GHz LGA 1366 130W Six-Core Desktop Processor BX80613I7980X
ram ........................ G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 24GB (6 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9T2-24GBRL
video card................. 5870 ( was going to be 5970 x 2 in crossfire but after reading what you had to say i guess ONLY ONE 5870 now )
storage O.S. only ....... Crucial RealSSD C300 CTFDDAC064MAG-1G1 2.5" 64GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
storage LOTRO only .... 6 x OCZ Vertex 2 OCZSSD2-2VTXE60G 2.5" 60GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) one for each instance of lotro

i think my choke point will be the video card ... on running 6 lotro instances on one PC and having main character on FULL MAX SETTINGS .. .. maybe not i do not know as have not put together system yet ... what are you thoughts ? doable?

or

should i go with two machines?

if i do im switching out the processor with a cheaper gulftown at 879 to still have 6 cores and dropping down to 12 gigs of ram and losing one SSD for the slave machine

then build another maching with same everythign except two SSDs and add a 5970 x 2 in crossfire and drop down to a 950 processor and 12 gigs of ram to play main char on one pc at MAX SETTINGS

running two macine setup is not a bother to me i hardware boxed 6 pcs and 6 screens for years with megaswitchs etc from vetra ... i would prefer one machine this time but if i cant get max graphical settings on main to run very smooth then i think i would prefer two pcs so i can see this beautiful game at max settings on my main screen...

anyone have thoughts

Return to General