FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

virtual ini files not saving (new) settings

Moderator: MiRai

<<

DamnataAnimus

Post Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:14 am

virtual ini files not saving (new) settings

Hi,

they were working fine before but now isboxer does not save any client specific setting to virtual ini files. It will still load the old inis but any changes i make to a client are not saved when I exit.

Here is my profile, as always any help is appreciated, thanks

http://pasted.co/78056ab3
<<

MiRai

Vibrant Videographer

Post Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:11 am

Re: virtual ini files not saving (new) settings

Can you use a different paste site? Preferably one listed in the ISBoxer Wiki.

Next you will need to paste this XML. Paste this to a share site such as pastebin.com, zerobin.net, or ybin.me
<<

bob

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:27 pm

DamnataAnimus wrote: It will still load the old inis but any changes i make to a client are not saved when I exit.

The config on the virtual file looks fine, and your statement about the game using them when loading up means they should be redirected as expected. The issue is the game saves the config, not ISBoxer, and if we have established that the redirection is working, then it gets a bit weird as to why they are not being written with new changes.

Does the game exit cleanly?
When did this start happening?
When you do make changes and it exits, does it save it at all i.e. to the standard config files?
<<

DamnataAnimus

Post Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:15 pm

Yes the game exits cleanly.

Started happening a short time ago, want to say a month or so.

When you do make changes and it exits, does it save it at all i.e. to the standard config files?

Yes it does - I loaded a character without using isboxer, changed a few character options (using the game options menu) and logged out then back in to see if it saved the changes if that is what you mean.

I am not sure if this is still needed but here is a link to ybin paste of profile :

https://ybin.me/p/94c5c37459d383d3#dX39MdIkZi4pQCtDB42Y12vwaZ+dohgN55wkNrNUpWs=

Apologies for the delayed reply was in bed when you guys replied.
<<

bob

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:32 pm

DamnataAnimus wrote:Started happening a short time ago, want to say a month or so.
which begs the question of what changed a month ago. I know ISBoxer42 was released back then, but then as it doesn't save the files, and from what you said, they are being redirected upon load, then it doesn't seem likely that it is the cause, and that just happens to be co-incidence (not that I can completely rule it out, it is just rather unlikely). So, anything else change that you can think of?

DamnataAnimus wrote:
bob wrote:When you do make changes and it exits, does it save it at all i.e. to the standard config files?
Yes it does - I loaded a character without using isboxer, changed a few character options (using the game options menu) and logged out then back in to see if it saved the changes if that is what you mean.
What I meant was when you load up under ISBoxer, set your settings, and then exit, does it save the changes, but save them to the standard ini files, rather than the redirected ones? Simply trying to figure out if there is something odd going on with the save process that is making the redirection not work. If your are familiar with it you could also use something like procmon to trace and see what it is saving and where.
<<

DamnataAnimus

Post Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:31 am

I am unsure how to use process monitor to see if its writing said files - had a brief look and couldn't see an write operations when I exit the game.

I don't think it saves to usual ini files as when i load a character without isboxer the settings are the same as if I'd loaded it with isboxer.

Only other thing that changed that I can think of is I reinstalled windows 10. I have checked and both innerpspace/everquest2 exe are being run as admin so I really have no idea what is going on.

How would I go about checking with process monitor to see if what an where ini files are being written/saved ?

Sorry for the delayed reply but was trying a few things to see if they helped (which sadly they did not)
<<

MiRai

Vibrant Videographer

Post Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:26 am

The easy way to check if the files are being written is:

1) Find the virtualized ini files (they're stored right next to the main one--wherever that is for EQ)
2) Make note of the "Date Modified" field
3) Load up a single Slot from your Character Set, log it all the way into the game world and change settings around, then log out

Did the date on the expected file change to the current time and date that you logged out? If not, which file is changing (if any)? If nothing is changing, then...

1) You're looking at the wrong files (Do you have multiple installs?)
2) If you're certain these are the correct files, then I'd suggest pulling the parentheses and spaces from your virtual file names in ISBoxer, re-exporting, and repeating the steps listed above.
<<

DamnataAnimus

Post Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:48 pm

The inis are indeed being saved on exit, so I guess the issue is the game itself not isboxer. Now to work out why my hotkeys and such arent being saved.

Thank you both for all the help it really is appreciated :)

Return to General