FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

[EQ1] Cant even get Isboxer to launch accounts

Moderator: MiRai

<<

Jegehrke

Post Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:23 am

Cant even get Isboxer to launch accounts

Boy this has to be the most frustrating experience ever. I have no idea how to get anything to happen other than to down load the software. Is there anywhere on the website or on the web anywhere that give someone that doesnt already know how to use this soft ware a step by step instruction on how to set this program up? I cant even get it to log me on and I am only trying to 2 box. All I can get is a screen where Everquest is asking me to accept the agreement and the program doesnt allow my mouse to click "I agree". So I have can only guess at what other overwhelming obstacles await me. I was hoping this would make my life easier but I may be seriously mistaken. Where can a non programmer turn to try to make some sense of this?
<<

bob

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:36 am

Re: Can get Isboxer to launch accs, can't login due to visuals

There is the WIKI, which does have a Guide for EQ1, but you are stumbling fairly early on in the process for it to be much help.

EQ is a fickle beast when it comes to multiboxing. Once it is working it is good, getting it to work can be a PITA. The main issue you are hitting is the game resolution is not matching what ISBoxer is trying to set it to for your Window Layout.

You can select your Window Layout in the top left of ISBoxer, in the lower left select Regions. This will give you a view of some black boxes representing the Windows. Depending on which layout you selected during the Quick Setup Wizard, will matter from here. First, on the right, select the Swap Group Tabs. If you have an entry in the Reset Regions box, then take note of what this is. If is says <NO REGION>, then each game will be attempting to run a resolution according to their sizes.

So hit the Regions tab there, and then select the region number that was in the RESET REGION entry, and see what size it is. You will then need to go to your EQ folder, find the eqclient-CHARNAME.ini files (one for each character), edit them, and set the properties:
Maximized = 0
Width=xxxx width of the region
Height=yyyy height of the region
WindowedWidth=xxxx width of the region
WindowedHeight=yyyy height of the region

Save those (if your install is in the program files folders, your editing program will need to be running as Admin to save these files - otherwise, save them somewhere else, and then copy them back).

Try and launch again.
<<

Jegehrke

Post Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:57 pm

Re: Cant even get Isboxer to launch accounts

First, thank you Bob. You're instructions were step-by-step enough for me to follow. When I get to the point where you say the Reset Regions box says <NO REGION>, mine says <Region 1>. At this point I am unclear if I should still go into the EQ folder and make any changes or if <Region 1> suggests I need to do something different. Any suggestions?

Second, I have figured out that I can click the "agree" button but I have to have the mouse located below the button. So I am guessing this suggests some kind of syncing or location of mouse problem...

Third, I was a bit dismayed when looking at your suggestion for a step by step (simple) guide on WIKI. This is the guide I am finding way to complicated to follow :(. The thing about Isboxer is that it appears to have unlimited options on how to run things. When you know how and what you want the program to do this is great. For someone like me the options are overwhelming. I am going to keep plugging away but at this point I am incredibly lost. I seem to start something and by the time I read all the instructions and definitions of terms I dont understand I realize I dont even know what is possible to do or how to get there...

Anyway, I am hoping at some point the penny will drop for me and I start to understand this program but at the moment I am finding it counter intuitive. But thanks for the help Bob, I felt a small victory that I was able to follow your directions and at least get to the box you were referring too. A small victory I know but it was encouraging for me.
<<

bob

Post Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:50 pm

Ok, as I said, if your RESET REGION has a region listed (I said take note of what it was), this this region is the supposed resolution of the game windows, but EQ tends to sometimes ignore that.
So, yours says Region 1, then go back to the regions tab, select Region 1 in the drop down or click on the black box, and note the Size setting. It'll be something like 1920, 1080, or more likely a bit different like 1920, 900 (your values may differ depending on your screen resolution and other factors).

So now you know the size, you can edit the files which will be character specific and in the EQ installation folder, and set those sizes. Then try and launch your team again via Inner Space/ISBoxer. EQ is a fickle beast when it comes to getting it to accept the resolutions. Most of the time it should detect it automatically and just use what ISBoxer tells it to. Note: when you do an Export from ISBoxer, if it asks if it can fix the resolution settings, the correct answer is Yes.

Yes, the guides are a little thin in places. The EQ guide is fairly old, but then again all of them gloss over the Quick Setup Wizard options, because, well, it is mostly self explanatory, if overwhelming at first. It took me a few tries to get the hang of what it was doing - I ran it, played my games, worked out what wasn't doing what I wanted, hit File -> Clear, ran the Wizard again.. learnt something each time.
Yep, ISboxer has quite a few options. The heart of it is Mapped Keys, and they will take the most understanding, but only for the variety of things you can do with it. Once you get that, it will be plain sailing.
<<

firescue17

Post Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:59 pm

bob wrote:The EQ guide is fairly old ...

This is mostly because EQ is old. The Quick Start Wizard hasn't changed for many years. The player guides (most of which I wrote) haven't changed because there haven't been any changes to EQ since Mercenaries were introduced 6 (?) years ago. There haven't been any earth-shattering changes in ISBoxer functions since Mapped Key Step States were introduced 4 (?) years ago. I personally haven't changed the infrastructure of my profile for 3 years. It's the same as the writeups (although some of the screenshots are out of date).

I appreciate it's an overwhelming amount of information but it amazing once tweaks are made for one's individual system.
<<

Jegehrke

Post Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:07 pm

Hi,

Again let me start by thanking you, Bob, for taking the time to answer. Then follow by saying, boy do I feel stupid. I cannot even follow the explanations to the problems I am having which I dont understand in the first place.I found the EQclient file and found something close to what you wrote but not quite. My numbers from EQ client are:
charatcter 1
Maximized=0
RestoredXOffset=975
RestoredYOffset=-13
RestoredWidth=944
RestoredHeight=481
character 2
Maximized=0
RestoredXOffset=975
RestoredYOffset=-13
RestoredWidth=944
RestoredHeight=481
By the way best I can figure it the numbers for region 1 are 1920, 810 and region 2 are 640, 270 in IS boxer. Got both those numbers by clicking on the regions in Isboxer and they may be different because one is larger and one is smaller in the window. On the bright side, after the last patch on Friday the problem seems to have fixed itself. The buttons now line up with the mouse cursor in both windows!!!! This is an amazing breakthrough and has allowed me to at least log on both accounts and start to play the game with both characters up. Of course, I am only flipping back and forth and clicking the hotkeys I have setup in game. It works but is clunky. I will now start to add mapped functions as needed one at a time until I get into trouble again, which I am sure will be soon. At this point I guess I just need to know if leaving well enough alone, since it is no longer broken (seems to work), is the way to go or if I should still try to figure out your fix to prevent something bad happening further down the line. Again thanks for taking the time to try to help me through this and sorry that I am so non techy that I cant understand what I am sure to you is simple and obvious. The good thing about this is it is forcing me to expand my knowledge of something that is totally foreign to me. I have dug deeper into files than I ever have had to before. Thanks, John

Return to General