FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Setup wizard lets background FPS be set to 3 but only 10 ...

Moderator: MiRai

<<

nodoze

Post Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:13 am

Setup wizard lets background FPS be set to 3 but only 10 ...

The Quick Setup wizard lets background FPS be set to 3 but we can only let it be 10 in ISBoxer.

For years I have run with 2 or 3 FPS in the background windows to maximize my foreground window experience and not noticed any problems.

I suspect for some people/games it had to be a minimum of 10 so maybe that is why it is different in ISBoxer than in the Setup Wizard.

Can we please let users set it to a lower value than 10 in the regular ISBoxer area (I personally like to set it to 2 or 3)?

If need be feel free to put a warning or require an extra check box to let us set it lower than 10...
<<

nodoze

Post Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:24 am

Re: Setup wizard lets background FPS be set to 3 but only 10 ...

Lax,

Is this WAI ?

If so then maybe the discrepancy between the two isn't a bug.

Do you have an enhancement list that this can be added to ?
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:42 am

Is it what? I overlooked the setting when creating the wizard.

I recently updated ISBoxer to increase the range you can set outside the wizard; Update via Help->About

ISBoxer 41.4.0718.1
* FPS limit settings in Character Set Slots can be 1-200 instead of 10-100
* Cryptic Studios Macro Library: Fixed a bug with assigning macros to Scroll Lock
<<

nodoze

Post Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:18 pm

lax wrote:
nodoze wrote:Lax, Is this WAI ? ...
Is it what?
Sorry for the acronym. We use WAI on the Beta forums to clarify if a given functionality is Working As Intended (WAI) or whether it is a bug or some un-intended side-effect.

Thanks for the quick adjustment !
<<

mrmagoo

Post Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:07 pm

Thanks for the info. I was wondering about that also. Thought it was strange but due to some sort of limitation.

However on my version (listed below) this is not working correctly it seems.

To reproduce:

1) Enter an integer less than 10 on the Slot/performance window in the "limit framerate in background to" integer field.
2) Move away to another configuration window such as another slot.
3) Move back to the performance window.

You will notice that the value has been reset back to 10 AND the checkbox has been unchecked.

Methinks there be some hard coding of data-altering validation in there somewhere?

PS: I also noticed a bug in the about page while checking versions.

Version: 41.4.0718.1

Is listed as : 41.4.718.1

The '0' is being dropped for some reason on the about window at the top. The one below next to the release notes are listed correctly.

Made me head scratch for a few seconds when I compared my version to yours and the one they said I needed to update to. :)
<<

nodoze

Post Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:32 am

mrmagoo wrote:Thanks for the info. I was wondering about that also. Thought it was strange but due to some sort of limitation.

However on my version (listed below) this is not working correctly it seems.

To reproduce:

1) Enter an integer less than 10 on the Slot/performance window in the "limit framerate in background to" integer field.
2) Move away to another configuration window such as another slot.
3) Move back to the performance window.

You will notice that the value has been reset back to 10 AND the checkbox has been unchecked.

Methinks there be some hard coding of data-altering validation in there somewhere?

PS: I also noticed a bug in the about page while checking versions.

Version: 41.4.0718.1

Is listed as : 41.4.718.1

The '0' is being dropped for some reason on the about window at the top. The one below next to the release notes are listed correctly.

Made me head scratch for a few seconds when I compared my version to yours and the one they said I needed to update to. :)
Good catches!

I am seeing the same 41.4.0718.1 vs 41.4.718.1 though it doesn't appear to cause any issues.

I confirmed the frame-rate setting (more of a display bug) and it confused me as I had already set them and saw the changes in game (really helped load on my computer). I was surprised when I went back to double check and saw the boxes unchecked with 10 in them. Come to think of it that is the same behavior that I saw when I set it to 3 via the wizard except that if I came to that tab it would unset it and force it to be at least 10 from that point forward unless I ran the wizard again (I was going to look at hacking the XML but then Lax gave this fix).

I think the framerate setting is just a display issue and as it is keeping the setting (at least if you just set it and move off & don't go back to that tab). I already had 3 working and after seeing your post I tested changing it to 5 and then back to 3 (my default) and re-exported to Innerspace both times to verify the changes. When I went back to the tab and saw it was empty and exported I did denote on my first export that my FPS went to 60 (I think the max I either have set in Innerspace or in the game) & I started to get worried but a reset and re-export fixed it.
<<

mrmagoo

Post Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:37 pm

Well hopefully they are on the bug list somewhere. :)

I tried 3 FPS but my chars kept losing follow. Fortunately I have cycles to spare on my quad core so I have set them to 6fps and we shall see if there are any hiccups.
<<

nodoze

Post Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:49 am

I think the lowest FPS allowable that gives decent slave performance may differ by game.

In Neverwinter with 3 fps follow has never been an issue though in combat sometimes the slaves background window seem to take 2 or 3 attacks to lock on to my foreground window and I am not sure if the FPS is a factor for that or not.

So far 3 has been overall good to me but I may jump it to 15 fps just to see if I have better slave coordination. If it seems like with 15 that I am getting slaves attacking on the first press then I will begin ratcheting it back down and if it doesn't appear to help at all then I will just reset it to 3.

I agree that this should be on the bug list somewhere but overall I am just glad that there is a work-around to get the setting to be sent to InnerSpace. Bottom line is that it really helps keep my machine cooler and with less load so even as it is it is a huge benefit !
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:52 am

Code:
ISBoxer 41.4.0801.1
    * Fixed an issue with FPS limits outside the previously valid range resetting

I think the lowest FPS allowable that gives decent slave performance may differ by game.

Very much so. For example, in EQ1 your follow distance and turn radius are affected by FPS, so it's hard to move around at less than 20+ FPS. Low FPS might have a variety of effects in different games
<<

nodoze

Post Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:22 am

lax wrote:
Code:
ISBoxer 41.4.0801.1
    * Fixed an issue with FPS limits outside the previously valid range resetting

Very much so. For example, in EQ1 your follow distance and turn radius are affected by FPS, so it's hard to move around at less than 20+ FPS. Low FPS might have a variety of effects in different games
Downloaded 41.4.0801.1 and verified fix (I know you likely already tested before porting but figured you would appreciate feedback/confirmation). Of my 5 man group, the first 2 I used to verify the display issue & resetting were reset and I just set them and moved off and back and they stayed set. Slots 3-5 had their previous settings at 3 FPS retained and shown correctly so no action needed on them. Exported to IS and tested with 1 client and FPS held steady at ~3 in background and 30 when in Foreground...

Thanks so much for the fast response !
Next

Return to General