FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

ISBoxer down for hours at a time each night

Moderator: MiRai

<<

noblesavage

Post Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:15 am

ISBoxer down for hours at a time each night

ISBoxer.com has been unavailable to me for periods of several hours the past few nights (in the wee hours of the morning, when I typically play).

Since the application uses a live connection to check registration rather than conventional methods, this means I have not been able to use the software or play. Because this happened two nights in a row, I lost my raid spots -- all five of them -- since my ability to play is now unreliable. I know in the grand scheme of life there are larger problems, but this is very frustrating to me.

Has anyone else been experiencing this same problem? I don't know if it's ISBoxer.com itself or some connection between my ISP and ISBoxer.com. (I am on Comcast in Northern California.)

Thank you for your responses and input.
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:25 am

Re: ISBoxer down for hours at a time each night

This issue is more frustrating for me than it is for you or anyone else, trust me. Sorry to hear, though :(

Short answer: This will not happen again
Long answer: See lavishsoft.com main page for details
<<

noblesavage

Post Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:35 pm

lax wrote:This issue is more frustrating for me than it is for you or anyone else, trust me. Sorry to hear, though :(

Short answer: This will not happen again
Long answer: See lavishsoft.com main page for details

This page took about five minutes to load after six timeouts. I cannot get lavishsoft.com to load to read the details.
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:51 pm

We're doing maintenance on the database at the moment so the web sites are going to be slow. The sites will be down again tonight while we migrate. The backup license server is handling the software
<<

ms0099rg

Post Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:03 pm

it's not working for me too... Lavish page is down for me
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:02 pm

Okay a little added info here since I've been modifying the news on the lavishsoft.com page.

Basically, a few days ago the power supply on our main server started acting up. The backup server was supposed to kick in to handle the software, but as we had not had downtime in over a year, it hadn't had a live test in a while. And of course Murphy's Law says that whatever other problems can be stacked on top of the original problem, will be. We ordered a replacement power supply, but that one died within 20 minutes of being installed.

At the moment we are doing some maintenance on the database, so the web sites are going to be a little slow at times while we finish that up.

We're in the process of migrating to other hardware, and it is taking longer to do that than we had hoped. The web sites will be down tonight (around midnight EDT) while we finish that migration.

So.. tomorrow we should be on a new server so web sites should again be fully available, and in the meantime the backup server is making sure the software continues to operate as desired.
<<

OzHawkeye

Post Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:20 am

lax wrote:And of course Murphy's Law says that whatever other problems can be stacked on top of the original problem, will be.

I'm a great believer in O'Toole's Law, which states simply that "Murphy was an optimist."
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:46 pm

Server migration has been completed as of now. We're now running on different hardware, and everything looks like it's running smoothly. No further related downtime is expected
<<

OzHawkeye

Post Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:19 am

lax wrote:Server migration has been completed as of now. We're now running on different hardware, and everything looks like it's running smoothly. No further related downtime is expected

Good to hear. :D

On the positive side, with the primary out and ISBoxer loading successfully via the backup server, there was at least a field test of the backup servers integrity, which is also good to know.
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:46 am

Yeah. Actually, the license server is still running only on the backup.

Ran into a problem with it on the newly virtualized main server, where the time randomly jumps forward about 4400 seconds for a second sometimes before going back. This has the awesome side-effect of causing any sleep-related functions, which are used to temporarily yield the CPU instead of raping the CPU 100% of the time, to hang. I pulled an all-nighter looking for bugs in my code before I was able to reproduce it with a small test program. Now I'm not sure what the problem is, because it doesn't seem to happen in the other programs running on the server (e.g. the web servers, mysql, etc). This is on a xeon e5520, virtualized, 2.6.23 kernel, glibc 2.5.. if anyone has any ideas. ;)

So, still working on getting the license server running on primary, but the backup is holding up just fine
Next

Return to General