FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Shift key not received by master

Moderator: MiRai

<<

Owltoid

Post Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:23 am

Shift key not received by master

Good morning,

My current master isn't receiving my shift-modified keys, while my slaves are.

What I'm trying to do
My warlocks press shift-D to cast 'Soul Fire' (SF).

What actually happens
My slave warlocks cast SF as intended, but my master does not. Please note that if I change my master (i.e. make another window the active window) then the same issue occurs. The new master does not cast, but the new slaves do cast.

Some testing that I've done
If I move the SF key map to 'D', which isn't modified by shift, then master and slaves cast fine. If I move the SF key map to ctrl-D, then master and slaves cast fine. I'm confident the issue is not in the SF key mapping because it works with D and ctrl-D.

About my set-up
I've been using this type of set-up for years and find it easy to add new keymaps/teams. First I define keymaps that correspond with keys on the board. These key maps are grouped into "Shift Modified", "Control Modified", "Alt Modified", "Unmodified". In these groupings I have a keymap setup for each key on the key board. For example, under shift modified I have the key map "Shift D" with the hotkey shift-D.

Now that I have all my keys mapped to my key maps, I can assign whatever spell I want to the key and send it to the appropriate group. For example, if I decide that I want all warlocks to cast SF when shift-D is pushed, then under the "Shift Modified" grouping, in the "shift D" keymap, I have the Do Key Map action of SF being sent to the ATG Warlocks.

My config is posted here:
http://privatepaste.com/15708ca415

The character set I am using is "Atlas Shrugged" which consists of one pally and four warlocks. Please note that it doesn't matter who the master is, could be the pally or any one of the warlocks, the master will not receive "shift D" while the slaves will.

Please let me know if you can see where something is going wrong! I'm totally stumped. I've used this system for years without a problem.
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:55 am

Re: Shift key not received by master

We talked about this a bit this morning in the ISBoxer Chat Room but here's a recap for those playing along at home.

The button in question is hotkeyed to Shift+D, so he's holding down Shift. And it sends Ctrl+Alt+B to Warlocks, which may or may not include the current window (e.g. if the current window is a Warlock). This is generally 100% fine and will absolutely work.

However...

The "Hold" option on a Mapped Key changes modifier behaviors because the keys need to be held. A side-effect of this is that the modifier key YOU ARE HOLDING is unfortunately not dropped in the current window. This means that, because the Hold option is enabled, the current window has Shift still held down (from the Shift+D Hotkey), and then additionally receives Ctrl+Alt+B, making it Shift+Ctrl+Alt+B instead of just Ctrl+Alt+B.

After disabling the Hold option on most or all of the Key Maps, Owltoid's issue is solved. :)

Return to General