FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

[WoW] Proof of Concept (Will this work?)

Moderator: MiRai

<<

Ualaa

Grandmaster Guidesmith

Post Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:33 am

Proof of Concept (Will this work?)

I'm planning on dusting off my 5x Paladin team, and leveling them up (currently 5x Holy) in anticipation of Cataclysm.

Will the following setup work?
Is there any easier/better way to implement this?

Goal:
With a 5-box Holy Paladin group, I spam a single key and have everyone DPS the master's target, except that I can sequentially toggle characters out of DPS mode and into Healing mode or vice versa.

While they're in DPS mode, they're in an Action Target Group which is the target for my Grid repeater region (manual healing).

The Pieces:
A single spam key with three Do Mapped Key actions.
a) FTL Assist Me > Target Current Window.
b) DPS two-step, mapped key > Target Everyone (initially enabled for all toons).
c) Heal Focus, mapped key > Target Everyone (initially disabled for all toons).

DPS MODE (two-step, DPS castsequence macro)
---- No Assist (this was set in the SPAMMED mapped key which calls this)
---- Keystroke Action on Step 1 > Target: Current Window.
---- Keystroke Action on Step 2 > Target: Current Window.

HEALS MODE (two-step Heal at Focus macro)
---- Keystroke Action on Step 1 > Target: Current Window.
---- Keystroke Action on Step 2 > Target: Current Window.

Two mapped keys, for toggling modes...

HEALER TOGGLE
---- Mapped Key State Action > Deactivate DPS MODE > Target: Entire Team.
---- Mapped Key State Action > Activate HEALS MODE > Target: Entire Team.
---- Target Group Action > Leave Repeater Region Group > Target: Entire Team.
---- Warcraft Macro Action > /focus [target=mouseover] > Target: Entire Team.
---- Check round-robin within target group, for each of these actions.

DPS TOGGLE
---- Mapped Key State Action > Activates DPS MODE > Target: Entire Team.
---- Mapped Key State Action > Deactivates HEALS MODE > Target: Entire Team.
---- Target Group Action > Join Repeater Region Group > Target: Entire Team.
---- Warcraft Macro Action > /clearfocus > Target: Entire Team.
---- Check round-robin within target group, for each of these actions.

Question 1:
Will two different mapped keys, each doing a round-robin effect on the same ATG remain independent of each other?

When I press Healer Toggle, all of the actions target the same toon and thus remain in sync; similarly DPS Toggle will remain in sync with itself.

If I push Healer Toggle three times, and then DPS toggle once what happens on press 4?

Input 1 …. Toon A becomes Heals
Result: Toon A = Heals and Toon B/C/D/E = DPS.

Input 2 …. Toon B becomes Heals
Result: Toon A/B = Heals and Toon C/D/E = DPS.

Input 3 …. Toon C becomes Heals
Result: Toon A/B/C = Heals and Toon D/E = DPS.

Input 4
Does Toon A become DPS again (ie., the round-robin advance independent of each other), or does it apply the fourth input to Toon D (ie., the round-robins advance together because they both target the same ATG)?

Question 2:
If the ATG's advance together, would two different ATG's (one for each toggle) but with the exact same ordering of toons bypass this problem?

The Warcraft Macro Actions:

My understanding...
a) I push the hot key to toggle into Healer Mode.
b) This is a round-robin within team action, so only one toon executes the Healer Mode mapped key.
c) That toon owns all of those actions.
d) I think... because my mouse on the main screen is within the Repeater Region, the [target=mouseover] will read where the mouse is, for the toon who executes the macro action, and focus whichever target the master's mouse (and thus their mouse) is over on the Grid frame.

Question 3: Can I use: /focus [target=mouseover] through a Repeater Region?

Miscellaneous:
I assume, adding a toon to an ATG they're already in... attempting to activate a mapped key that is already active or to deactivate a mapped key which is already disabled won't cause issues.

IE., in the heat of battle... while BG healing, if I cycle through the [Set Focus/Enter Healer Mode] mapped key... in a "whack-a-mole" fashion, without canceling Healer Mode for a given toon... all that will happen is a new focus is set for them (the other actions called by Healer Mode Toggle are already in the correct mode).
Streaming in 720p HD: www.twitch.tv/ualaa
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:18 pm

Re: Proof of Concept (Will this work?)

Will two different mapped keys, each doing a round-robin effect on the same ATG remain independent of each other?

Yes.

Each Step of each Mapped Key has its own counter of how many times it has passed, and this number determines which member of the Target (which could be an ATG) gets the Action. e.g. if the number is 57 and there's 3 members of the ATG, 3 goes into 57 evenly so the result of the calculation 57 % 3 (57 mod 3) is 0. The first window in the Target gets it. So it doesn't really matter what the Target is, the round-robin in some Mapped Key Step is always going to be independent of any other Mapped Key Step.

Input 4 ... Toon A becomes DPS
Result: Toon B/C = Heals and Toon D/E/A = DPS.

If the ATG's advance together, would two different ATG's (one for each toggle) but with the exact same ordering of toons bypass this problem?

This question was depending on the first question having the opposite answer, so the answer to this is no it wont have this effect ;) What it would do is allow de-syncing the order of the toons in the ATGs, because you could start with both of them A/B/C/D, and change just one of them such that toon A leaves and re-joins, likely becoming B/C/D/A.

Can I use: /focus [target=mouseover] through a Repeater Region?

Yes, your understanding of this seems correct. The Repeater Target (window that Repeater is sending to) will get the cursor position for the [target=mouseover] from the broadcast, and if you pass the Hotkey for that WoW Macro to that Repeater Target (e.g. through WoW Macro Action), it will execute the macro, grab the mouseover target, and /focus it.

I will say that we prefer to use Named WoW Macro Actions with the WoW Macro Library now. But there's nothing wrong with continuing to use WoW Macro Action either (ISBoxer just might get it wrong which character(s) should have a given WoW Macro assigned and bound)

I assume, adding a toon to an ATG they're already in... attempting to activate a mapped key that is already active or to deactivate a mapped key which is already disabled won't cause issues.

Correct, all of these things should just silently not change anything since the requested change is already in effect.

Should be fine, sounds like. :)
<<

Ualaa

Grandmaster Guidesmith

Post Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:58 pm

Thanks for the help, Lax.

Reading up on the Macro Library and Named Macro Actions.
Thanks for the suggestion on those too.
<<

Ualaa

Grandmaster Guidesmith

Post Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:13 pm

I'm only seeing an option to Round-Robin the Named Warcraft Macro.
I do not seem to have an option to RR the Mapped Key State Action or the Target Group Action.

I'm on IS Boxer version 40.2.405.1

I was planning on going: Target (All) w/ Current.
And checking RR within Target Group, for each option.

*Edit*
If I just go with five steps, for each.
Step 1 = Toon A; Step 2 = Toon B....

That should work...
It won't be round-robin within target group.
But each action will occur once on a given step, and the toons will execute in the same order...
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:40 pm

You can "wrap" it in another Mapped Key, and use Do Mapped Key Action to apply the round-robin check box where it does not exist on a given Action.

So you'd have...

HEALER TOGGLE
--- Do Mapped Key Action, Target=All w/ Current, Mapped Key = RR'd HEALER TOGGLE, with "Round-robin within selected target" checked

RR'd HEALER TOGGLE
---- Mapped Key State Action > Deactivate DPS MODE > Target: self.
---- Mapped Key State Action > Activate HEALS MODE > Target: self.
---- Target Group Action > Leave Repeater Region Group > Target: self.
---- Warcraft Macro Action > /focus [target=mouseover] > Target: self.

And the same concept for the DPS toggle
<<

Ualaa

Grandmaster Guidesmith

Post Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:46 pm

Thanks, again.

Return to General