FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Framerate issue

Moderator: MiRai

<<

MiRai

Vibrant Videographer

Post Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:08 pm

Re: Framerate issue

GoTiK2 wrote:how do you achieve that tanker? and in what game? lotro?

Because he has SLI enabled. When SLI is enabled both GPUs are working on all game clients that are in need of rendering, however, they're acting as one. As far as I know, you cannot "split the load" between the GPUs of a dual-GPU card and decide which GPU renders which monitor (except in the rare case that Lax mentioned about being able to load 2 BIOS's on the card in some way, shape, or manner that I know nothing about).

By default, when you disable SLI or Crossfire on the card itself the second GPU hangs out and does nothing. You can assign PhysX to the idle GPU but, that has nothing to do with multiboxing. Dual-GPU cards are not designed with the mindset that people are going to be multiboxing a video game and trying to split the GPUs between two different monitors. They're built with the mindset that you're going to be playing 1 single game at very high settings and you need all the GPU power you can throw at it; hence, SLI and Crossfire is enabled from the factory on these cards. Until fairly recent drivers (within the last year), I'm not even sure you were able to turn off SLI or Crossfire on these cards.

Is it possible to load 2 separate BIOS's on a GTX 590?
I have no idea.

Does the circuitry on the GTX 590 even support something like that?
I have no idea.

I'll go over to the EVGA forums and ask the people over there if they think this is at all possible to accomplish.
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:34 pm

New information for you all.

If VSync is enabled, especially if you have multiple GPUs, your framerate may be negatively affected.

In EVE Online (for the OP), the setting is "Present Interval", found in the "Display & Graphics". If it is set to "Interval one" set it to "Interval immediate".
<<

tanker

Post Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:02 pm

Yes in LotRO, nothing special in the installation of LotRO, quick setup wizard in ISBoxer, standard Nvidia driver. I'll have to look and see what version of the driver. I didn't check the framerate, but it didn't seem too bad. This was in the elf starter area (with only a couple other toons around), so I expect it to load down more in Bree for example. I think I have the hi-res texture pack installed, but I don't remember for sure.

I wonder if the problem is related to which connectors you are using for your monitors. I suggest unplugging the third monitor from the card, the try all the possible connectors for the second monitor and see if you can get it to work. You don't mention how you know the second GPU is idle, are you running GPU-Z?

ForceWare 285.62/Win 7 64

FPS is ~30 on main, ~20 on all five slaves

Image Image
Last edited by tanker on Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:22 pm

I started a page on the wiki to help cover framerate issues, I'll expand it as needed: HOWTO: Tweak your framerate
Previous

Return to General