FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

"Could not output file InnerSpace.exe"

Moderator: MiRai

<<

btcorrad

Post Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:18 pm

"Could not output file InnerSpace.exe"

Any time I start InnerSpace.exe and it patches (set to auto patch on start) I get a pop-up with this error "Could not output file InnerSpace.exe. It may be in use . . .". I have restarted multiple times, I have even tried uninstalling and reinstalling from the actual "Administrator" account as well as from my user account with Admin privs, always selecting "run as admin" as well. I have verified that the file is never set to Read Only. I have uninstalled and reinstalled several times. Perhaps there is some special procedure for uninstalling/reinstalling that I'm missing? This only seemed to have started since the last patch. Please let me know what additional info you need. This is extremely aggravating.

I am running Windows 7 64bit
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:35 pm

Re: "Could not output file InnerSpace.exe"

Did you try installing to a location outside of the Program Files folder?

Granted the patcher is a bit outdated and an updated version would be able to provide more details, but the only known reasons it should fail are a) file/folder/user permissions or b) the file is in use (e.g. because Inner Space is running).

If all else fails, you can also visit http://www.lavishsoft.com/account/is-archives.php for a .zip file (this may or may not solve the issue of patching...)
<<

btcorrad

Post Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:40 pm

B:\Program Files (x86)\InnerSpace is where InnerSpace.exe is. I checked the file's properties but ignorantly forgot to check the folder. For some reason the InnerSpace folder is Read-Only and that option is grayed out.

*Update: Fixed folder Ownership and removed Read-Only check. Now the patch process doesn't error but that's because it's not patching now. I still have build 5547. Anyhow, for now I can run the game so, I'll worry about it later and possibly look at the zip file option. Thanks again!
<<

tanker

Post Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:11 pm

I had issues with Innerspace on Windows 7 until I re-installed it into C:\Users\Public\Games\Innerspace. The biggest problem was I'd edit an XML file in the Innerspace directory, and save the changes, but when I looked at it later the changes were gone.
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:23 pm

tanker wrote:I had issues with Innerspace on Windows 7 until I re-installed it into C:\Users\Public\Games\Innerspace. The biggest problem was I'd edit an XML file in the Innerspace directory, and save the changes, but when I looked at it later the changes were gone.

When you're editing an XML file under Program Files, you need to run Notepad (or your editor) in Administrator. If you do not open it in Administrator, you're not saving the file back into Program Files but rather into the "Virtual store" -- e.g. C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore.

That has nothing to do with Inner Space though; the exact same thing can happen if you try modifying your World of Warcraft configuration if it's installed to Program Files, etc.

The virtual store is automatically and seamlessly used, so when this happens you usually do not realize it, and most people have no idea it exists, let alone where to find it. Now you know :)
<<

btcorrad

Post Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:21 am

tanker wrote:I had issues with Innerspace on Windows 7 until I re-installed it into C:\Users\Public\Games\Innerspace. The biggest problem was I'd edit an XML file in the Innerspace directory, and save the changes, but when I looked at it later the changes were gone.

I followed your advice, uninstalling the ISBoxer Suite and reinstalling to my \Games folder on my data drive. So far, patched successfully to build 5551. Thanks for the heads up! I run Win 7 as well.
<<

btcorrad

Post Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:12 am

Just patched to build 5563 with ZERO problems. If it hasn't already been added, there should be a note somewhere for Windows Vista and Win7 to be sure to AVOID installing InnerSpace/ISBoxer to the default location (any variation of the Program Files directories). Thanks again Lax and Tanker!!

Return to General