FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Settings for an AMD FX-8120

Moderator: MiRai

<<

MajorHeadache

Post Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:31 am

Settings for an AMD FX-8120

Just setting up IS/ISboxer and want to make sure I get it right on the ""8-core"" cpu I have... being that 2 cores share FPU, I need to know from an IS perspective, what does it consider my 8120?
Hyprthreading ON?
4 Cores?
8 cores?

Thanks so much in advance... I searched and didnt find anything on topic, of course most of you have already jumped ship into the true BLUE.. while Im giving the 990fx series a chance w the new CPU's (and after the next release phase, I might be convinced to jump too :( Geronimo! )
Gigabyte 990FXA-UD7,AMD FX-8120,4x4gb Ripjaws RAM,OCZ Revodrive X2 240gb PCIx4 SSD,2x XFX 6950 2gb vid CF to 3x 23" Samsung LCDs, CM 1200w PSU, Steelseries WoW mouse,RAZER Keyboard,Nostromo,& Barracuda Headphones,Logitech 5.1 THX
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:10 pm

Re: Settings for an AMD FX-8120

If you're asking if you need to set it a certain way, then probably not. I don't know what particular strategy that would be best for your CPU, game and number of instances.

Windows should be reporting your CPU as 8 cores, as far as I know. If you enable the HyperThreading option in your CPU Strategy, ISBoxer will just pairs cores when assigning them instead of doing it 1 at a time. So if an instance gets CPU 1 it also gets CPU 2, or 3 with 4, 5 with 6, and 7 with 8.

Try it different ways and see what seems smooth. It will also depend on how many instances you're running. If you've got 4 game instances, you can enable the HT option and round-robin, and each instance will get 2 CPUs.
<<

MajorHeadache

Post Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:09 pm

Re: Settings for an AMD FX-8120

Thanks a lot! I DID setup with 8cores, main tank holds 1st cpu core (first 2 w HT engaged) with my remaining 5 toons on round robin. At first I had Hyperthreading enabled, and wasn't impressed with the output. I am about to turn off HT, but leaving the rest of the settings as they are. I will do a comparison and let you know for others (we few who remain loyal to AMD) that gave the AM3+ chips a shot. I also have questions on my video setup, as I have Dual XFX 6950 2gb cards that run 3x 23" Samsungs in an Eyefinity 3x1 (5780x1080 res?) arrangement and when running games that make use of it, they are also Crossfired. All 3 LCD panels are directly connected to the top card, wherein playing EQ 1 (what I box on) I can simply disengage Eyefinity and CF while all 3 remain on the same card to limit any lag produced from the swqapping... Is there anyway for me to utilize the Eyefinity setup as one huge display, and then custom fit the alt toons as smaller PiP type swap boxes as I have seen on youtube vids? At the moment when I launch IS, I just have my center screen locked to main tank (is1), and is2-6 are stacked 1920x1080 on the other 2 screens. I know EQ does not support the Crossfire or SLI when enabled, thus sometimes performance is actually worse when its enabled, but now that I am running thru your GUI first, would there be support for the extra video HP ?? The only other option that I have thought of, is using the side 2x23" LCDs physically connected to my 2nd 6950 w/OUT CF enabled and then make rule on swapping only betwen those monitors (keeping swapping internal per card) and freeing up the 1st 6950 for ONLY the main toon's screen. I was just hoping to be able to use all of center screen for viewable area, then the inner sides of the L & R LCD for my hotbars, chat windows, etc... and the outer half of each having smaller PiP-esque displays of my alt toons.

I have quite a few ideas, and I am sure some are already spoken about in the forums that I passed over or have yet to read, and for that I apologise but appreciate every bit of experienced assistance!! I wont bother with display changes until I have the CPU deal set right, and performance is steady again. I hav yet to OC this rig since I upgraded from FX4100 -> FX8120, and the 16gb of 1866mhz RAM is still on autoclock from BIOS at 1333.

Thanks again Lax, and sry for the email today... I didnt check the forums again this AM before heading out. Love how quick you guys are on top of things... sure I will be upgrading beyond the $10 account once this is running better. I already have a handful of guildies interested once I give them my approval (only 1 of them still has AMD its older true 6core Phenom).
Gigabyte 990FXA-UD7,AMD FX-8120,4x4gb Ripjaws RAM,OCZ Revodrive X2 240gb PCIx4 SSD,2x XFX 6950 2gb vid CF to 3x 23" Samsung LCDs, CM 1200w PSU, Steelseries WoW mouse,RAZER Keyboard,Nostromo,& Barracuda Headphones,Logitech 5.1 THX

Return to General