FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Fraps 3.4.2 won't record VFX

Moderator: MiRai

<<

hist

Post Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:18 pm

Fraps 3.4.2 won't record VFX

I read previous posts about issues with fraps, but the solutions there did not fix my problem.

With DWM enabled and fraps running as administrator, it refuses to record the FX Viewers I have set up in WoW. I've contacted Fraps directly and checked their (fan-hosted *cough*) forums, but have yet to receive any sort of support beyond what I've already tried.

Also, if I start recording in WoW and switch to another program, such as Firefox, Fraps continues to record the WoW window and sometimes freezes up when I switch from, say, is2 to is3.

It's almost as if WoW is running "on top", even though I haven't set ISBoxer up to do that (and I can switch between programs fine).

I'm running Win 7 Home 64-bit and have tried Fraps with different compatability settings such as XP sp2.

Help! :?

EDIT: as per updated post below, Prnt Scrn now captures the layers.

I may end up kicking myself when someone gives me the solution to this, but tbh I'm at the frustration stage now where I'd rather look silly than continue to fossic around the web steadily going bald.
Last edited by hist on Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Alge

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:26 pm

Re: Fraps 3.4.2 won't record VFX

hist wrote:Whether this is pertinent information or not, when I take a screencap (with either Fraps' inbuilt function, or just the good ol' windows Prnt Scrn [or even Alt+Prnt Scrn]) it also fails to capture the FX Viewers.

To me this indicates a problem beyond just FRAPS. I don't have solution for you though sorry.
<<

hist

Post Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:38 pm

Update: the Windows Prnt Scrn function now captures the additional layers. Don't ask me why it didn't earlier :?:

So, that limits the problem to Fraps, at least.
<<

Alge

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:01 am

I vaguely recall something about having to start recording and then launch your character set thru Inner Space to get FRAPS to pick up the Video FX, which is a pain.

Other software that you might wish to use is mentioned in this thread: http://isboxer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=1968&start=0
<<

hist

Post Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:46 am

Alge wrote:I vaguely recall something about having to start recording and then launch your character set thru Inner Space to get FRAPS to pick up the Video FX, which is a pain.

Gave this a go and have only one thing left to say:

I love you, Alge. :D Thanks heaps!
<<

MiRai

Vibrant Videographer

Post Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:30 pm

Using FRAPS you'll need to have Aero enabled (should already be since you're using VFX) and you'll need to have the "Monitor Aero Desktop
(DWM)" option checked within FRAPS. Once that is done you need to begin recording your desktop prior to launching your character set.
There is a bigger CPU hit when recording the desktop versus just hooking into the game window so be prepared for that.

If you are using multiple monitors then FRAPS will most likely lean towards wanting to record the monitor that has the task bar in it. I've
not found a solid way to make sure FRAPS begins recording a specific monitor and there is nothing about it in the options.

I've also taken up a liking to BandiCam but I've yet to test it while multiboxing. I only mention this because BandiCam has (what seems
to be) a nice Motion JPEG codec and the ability to capture the desktop as well.

EDIT: I realize I repeated some of the info in your original post but I just wanted to consolidate it all for anyone that stumbles upon this.

Return to General