FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

New user, targeting issues.

Moderator: MiRai

<<

gramzngunz

Post Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:23 pm

New user, targeting issues.

Hello there!
I'm a new ISboxer coming over from keyclone because of all the praise i read about the FTL setup I read about on dual-boxing.com. I am running quad shamans for all facets of pvp. I made my first build and everything seemed to be working fine. I was running around targeting mobs and blasting them down with no issues. Then when I started getting in crazy fights like in battle grounds and things I noticed strange activity with my targeting. As I would say spam lighting/chain lighting/flame shock while waiting for global cooldowns I noticed my target would jump around a lot. It wasn't like tabbing because I would go back to people I had killed/dead bodies. I would kill someone, target someone else, hit "cast lightning" and my target would jump back and I'd get *invalid target*. Even my healing targeting was off, I would try to heal a friend of mine, and I kept retargeting myself. *click him, hit heal key, target switches back to me and heals* I have all of my spells on assist so I'm not sure why it would target my leader. Through repeated tries and key spamming I would get the guys to start casting on other people but it was tough. Fine for the world pvp i was doing, but in arenas it would be completely unacceptable. I have posted my setup in the clip board thing if anyone actually wants to look at it, but maybe someone has experienced this before themselves and can clue me in! :D

I enjoy ISboxer but man it has been a LEARNING process lol. It's taken me a good while just to get up to this point and I'm running a little low on steam to troubleshoot. Thanks in advance to anyone that responds :D

PS i'm using a G11 keyboard.

http://pastebin.com/m5e305021
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:21 pm

Re: New user, targeting issues.

To be honest, I am truly very sorry you did not start out with the Quick Setup Wizard. It would have broken down your "LEARNING process" to a matter of a few minutes, tops, and would have eliminated the issues present in your configuration.

So.. on to the problems with your setup.

First of all, you have "Use FTL Modifiers" enabled on your only Key Map. This means that no matter what key you press, the FTL modifiers will be passed. Trinket? FTL! call of ancestors? FTL! etc. Since most of your broadcast keys are single keys, you at least avoid part of the hassle with FTL. But, you're doing FTL the old, difficult, painstaking way.

Secondly, your keys like "Lesser heal" are set to "All w/ current" and the first line of your macro is /assist. Because of the selected Target for the broadcast, the FTL modifiers are also being sent to your current window. Which means that it wont hit the [nomod]player, but rather one of the character names.

There's probably other issues but the above are the biggest roadblocks.

What I would do is shelf your current configuration. Save a copy of it for later, but use the Quick Setup Wizard! Then you will have exactly three (3) Mapped Keys that use FTL. They will be "FTL Target Me", "FTL Follow Me" and "FTL Assist Me". Then instead of building macros that include /assist in them, you can simply have the spell on an action bar, use a Do Mapped Key Action for the Assist, and have it pass the key to cast the spell. Way way easier, requires very few macros -- only if you need custom things like your /castsequence, etc; these can be in-game macros if you want instead, 100% identical to what you would use for solo play.. no built in /assist or anything. And then you can use more obscure Key Combinations (ctrl+shift+alt+L, etc) instead of taking up an entire key and all of its modifiers (L,shift+L,Ctrl+L,Alt+L,Shift+Alt+L,Ctrl+Alt+L,Shift+Ctrl+Alt+L) just to cast lightning bolt.
<<

Ualaa

Grandmaster Guidesmith

Post Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:45 pm

I'll add to this.

Once you have run the wizard, it will give you several examples.
By this, I mean it will have set up a lot of keys for you.

I have a guide (in my signature) on www.dual-boxing.com.
Or it is in the guides section on this site.
Basically it shows how to modify things, 90% of which is looking at how the wizard did things.

For example.
The wizard gets us a mapped key, for "Others Jump".
Copying this key, can easily get you "Others Move".
Which is independent slave movement, irregardless of the window you are in.
I have that as an example in my guide.
It is a right click here, left click there, pick this option... baby steps methodology.

Looking at the FTL DPS mapped keys.
They show you how to call another mapped key.
That being the FTL Assist Me, in the case of those keys.
I've made buffing buttons, which essentially involve each toon assisting the active toon, the same way as the DPS keys.
And then sending a keybind to all windows, where each wow toon has a buff.

For your FTL DPS.
Just drag the nuke from the spell book to the action bar.
When you press (1 through =), the slaves will auto assist you first.
And then cast their spell on the same button.

For heals, I like to modify this a little.
Instead of the straight spell, use a macro.
/cast [help] HealSpell; [help,target=targettarget] HealSpell
The first portion (before the semi-colon) is exactly the same as dragging the spell from the spell book.
The second portion (after the semi-colon) will have the heal go at the target's target, if the first condition fails.
With auto FTL, you will target the active toons target.
If it is friendly, the heal fires off normally.
If it is hostile, the heal goes at the hostile mobs target, which will probably be one of your toons.

Once you get comfortable with the basic set up.
I'd encourage you to take a look at the assorted guides and videos.
They show you options which expand what you have.
You might not want to do what I've done for a given option.
But checking my option, or Zanthor's or Mirai's etc.. gets you an idea of how something works.
Which lets you do your configuration adaption, so boxing is better for you.
I'd take a look at Torvya's Repeater Region healing video.
That is a major boost to healing ability.
Streaming in 720p HD: www.twitch.tv/ualaa
<<

gramzngunz

Post Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:25 pm

thanks for the help guys. I'll scrap all my stuff and start over.

Return to General