FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Really bad graphics glitches

Moderator: MiRai

<<

Rhand

Post Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:49 pm

Re: Really bad graphics glitches

I've dialed back the settings on my slave instances per this post http://www.dual-boxing.com/showthread.php?t=32654 and it appears to have made things more stable.

According to GPU-Z I was pushing the full 1.2GB of VRAM on my video card with my previous settings but with the settings outlined above I'm staying closer to 800MB. Maybe it is a memory swapping / corruption issue?
<<

Berserker

Post Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:47 pm

I've seen something similar in 2 different games (and only when using ISB).

See: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1133 starting on page 2.
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:20 am

Here's what I can tell you. With 280.26, I have stability issues and glitches with my evga 570 GTX. When I went to the evga site to check for downloads instead of nvidia.com, evga had a previous driver version available next to the current one, 275.33. Since switching to 275.33, I don't have these issues (yet...).

I would recommend you try the same thing (different drivers)
<<

MiRai

Vibrant Videographer

Post Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:53 pm

lax wrote:Here's what I can tell you. With 280.26, I have stability issues and glitches with my evga 570 GTX. When I went to the evga site to check for downloads instead of nvidia.com, evga had a previous driver version available next to the current one, 275.33. Since switching to 275.33, I don't have these issues (yet...).

I would recommend you try the same thing (different drivers)

A lot of people complained endlessly about 275.33 to no end and even I saw a performance drop with those drivers. If you're
feeling froggy I would drop to the 266 or 270 drivers which might even give better performance. As for 280.26, I'm good over here
with these 580's (not bragging just giving a comparison for others who may stumble across the thread ;)). If you're installing the
HD Audio driver and the 3D Stereo Surround driver (which happens by default unless you uncheck those options) then I would say
give 280.26 another shot. 280.26 is supposed to give much tighter clock adjustments with all supported cards and the 2 options I
just listed give a lot of people stability issues. There are a lot of complaints about the HD Audio Driver and if you're not using an
HDMI cable to carry your audio then there is no need for that driver to be installed by default.

For everyone:

Properly installing/uninstalling drivers for nVidia cards. It's a long-winded guide but has some very good info on what to do and
what not to do with nVidia drivers in Windows.

Also, if anyone is getting black screens randomly with their 4xx/5xx nVidia cards I would suggest to download MSI Afterburner
(it's not only for MSI cards), unlock the voltage tweaking option, and kick the stock voltage on your card up a notch or two and see
if that fixes the problem. This is usually only necessary for people who are really pushing their cards whether you're playing solo
or multiboxing. I was getting black screens and random reboots myself when I was using SLI playing solo but a small nudge in
voltage (from 1.013 to 1.025) fixed everything. If you do happen to increase your voltage or change clock settings then make sure
to check "apply at start up" or else you'll have to manually activate profiles or move sliders each time you reboot.

EDIT: One more thing to mention is that if you're using an eVGA 5xx card they offer BIOS/firmware upgrades for their video cards
located here.
Previous

Return to General