FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Following Toon Lag

Moderator: MiRai

<<

Durant

Post Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:20 am

Following Toon Lag

Hi, I have an x6 set up using video feeds on 2 monitors (gave up on 4 monitors too many screens).

I have a 20mb internet connection and a steady 30+ FPS on all my toons which are stacked behind by main, what I have started to experience is a massive lag when moving, the auto following toons shoot past my main when he stops moving and then "appear" behind him, its getting quite annoying.

All the toons are same run speed and I have tried tweaking with graphics settings and core allocations to no avail.

Any suggestions to stop my toons yoyo-ing everytime I move?
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:52 am

Re: Following Toon Lag

What game is this? This should be in a game-specific forum not in the General forum... (I'll move it after you tell me)

Secondly if you want me to guess based on your config, I need to see your config. There's a sticky at the top of every forum that says "How to share your config for better support"
<<

Durant

Post Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:31 am

Apologies, the game is EQ2 please see attached log.
Attachments
Profile.txt
(208.41 KiB) Downloaded 475 times
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:24 am

Okay. I can't make any assumptions about what's not in the provided config (regardless of what you said in the first post, I have to assume this is specifically the settings we are discussing), so first of all hop over to CPU Management in the wiki for a CPU selection strategy for your .. i7? They're all fighting over all cores at the moment, and you can smooth it out by reducing the amount of fighting they are doing. The CPU Management page details the strategy you should probably be using and if you have questions about that, feel free -- just don't tell me you followed it if your main window is sharing cores with your other windows etc ;)

Secondly the FPS limiting can probably be adjusted for additional smoothing, depending on if you find you need it at that point. You can drop the FPS in your dxNothing window to something pretty low (e.g. 10) and it won't affect the Video FX -- they will still be going at the same speed as before. Your foreground FPS can probably be dropped to 30 from 60, and you can probably drop background to 20. But again, only if needed.

If you try that, and swear it's not CPU, GPU or FPS related because all of your guys are getting 30 FPS steady, then that would really only leave networking, and ISBoxer isn't going to be affecting networking. In order for your guys to start or stop moving from auto-follow, they need to receive a message from the game server to do so. It would be super awesome if the game recognized other game instances on your PC and communicated between them in a P2P fashion, but sadly that's never going to happen ;) You might have 20mb of bandwidth, but that really doesn't say much about round-trip times between you and the game server, just that you could push or pull so much data compared to me with my 8mb down. If it takes a full second for the message that you stopped moving to get to the server because of network latency, it's going to take at least that plus the return time in order for your guys to stop moving. Your ping with the server is a good approximation of this. What is your ping?
<<

Durant

Post Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:50 am

Lax

Thankyou for the input.

I had tried allocating cores between the different characters, as it did not make a difference to the lag I switched it back to full cores shared. It is a decent processor with max RAM for my board. (I7 965)

I will try the FPS limiting as it sounds a viable solution and will let you know if it helps.

I am still in the process of building my 6 man UI for EQ2, with stacked windows and Dxnothing, I have got rid of 2 monitors now, loads more space on my desk! I will post pics on the site when I am done as an example of what Isboxer can do for boxers in EQ2 :)
<<

Durant

Post Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:36 am

Lax

Changing FPS for Main,DXnothing and Alts did the trick!

Many thanks. :)
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:14 am

Sweet. :)

On a related note, the next ISBoxer update will include a CPU management page in the Quick Setup Wizard, which should help mitigate this issue in the future 8-)

Return to General